Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Off topic forum > Virgin Media 50MB Fibre Broadband - Does it live up to its name? Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist
Page « 1 2 3 4 5 [6 Quick go to page:
Author Topic: Virgin Media 50MB Fibre Broadband - Does it live up to its name? 168 replies
Nigel Hawken
(Group Retired)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #151 posted Jan 20th 2017, 21:42:15 Quote 
I am currently with EE for broadband - have been for a couple of years and I find the service quite good most of the time.

Recently it has been hopelessly slow - earlier in the week Speedtest was saying only 1 MB. It was like that for a couple of nights and then got OK again so I thought it was sorted.

Now tonight, the even more painful speed of 0.21 Mb/sec download speed.

I have tried all the usual IT solutions of turning it off and back on again.

Any other ideas please people?
Kevin Parkinson
(Group Retired)

GPRO Crew
Scotland 
Certified: 
Old post #152 posted Jan 20th 2017, 21:44:28 Quote 
Contact EE as seems clear there as a technical issue. What speed should you be getting?
Chris Dalby
(Group Rookie - 87)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #153 posted Jan 20th 2017, 21:47:33 (last edited Jan 20th 2017, 21:50:13 by Chris Dalby) Quote 
As with all broadband, it depends on where you live bro. I have had Virgin Media for the last 8 years and never had to call them out, and the speeds have always been higher than advertised.

If you get the 50mb (depending on your location) you should get upwards of 60mb. I'm on 200mb and get 220mb.

As for your fault, I would say that may be down to the router, or a cabinet error, or maybe a malware/virus error. If you have malware it will slow you broadband down to a crawl on some occasions.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Ah I see I have jumped onto a post 6 pages long which means my answer is somewhat irrelevant lol. Perils of making your first post :D
Kevin Parkinson
(Group Retired)

GPRO Crew
Scotland 
Certified: 
Old post #154 posted Jan 20th 2017, 21:50:36 Quote 
Wouldn't do any harm to shut down all computers and try a speedtest from your mobile or such like to try and rule out a malware or virus issue, but EE will be able to check if the issue is internal or external.
Nigel Hawken
(Group Retired)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #155 posted Jan 20th 2017, 21:57:39 Quote 
Hi, thanks for your comments and welcome to the forum Chris. The answer seems relevant (the part about the fault anyway)

I feel there is little point in contacting EE as (like other providers I have been with before) they seem pretty useless if something is not right after they have sold you the service.

It all seems slow from other devices - mobile, wife's laptop and tablet, but I will try a speed test from the tablet. That is always a bit slower anyway over wireless than the laptops on ethernet.
Roland Postle10
(Group Elite)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #156 posted Jan 20th 2017, 22:00:50 Quote 
Virgin are awesome, I get 50Mb precisely. The only downside is they come round to your house once a month and surgically detach one upper and one lower limb as payment
Kevin Parkinson
(Group Retired)

GPRO Crew
Scotland 
Certified: 
Old post #157 posted Jan 20th 2017, 22:00:53 Quote 
Quote ( Nigel Hawken @ January 20th 2017,21:57:39 )

I feel there is little point in contacting EE as (like other providers I have been with before) they seem pretty useless if something is not right after they have sold you the service.

Some providers are better than others. EE will be able to identify any external issues and should be able to help regardless. I don't know what their broadband support is like, but you've got to try and contact them.

Quote ( Kevin Parkinson @ January 20th 2017,21:44:28 )

What speed should you be getting?

You will have a minimum access line speed in your contract which is lower than your estimate and if you're not getting that minimum, and you've given the provider a reasonable chance to sort any fault, then you can leave your provider, even within contract, to someone else.

Unless you're expected to have very slow broadband, the speeds you are quoting are surely under the contracted minimum access line speed.
Nigel Hawken
(Group Retired)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #158 posted Jan 20th 2017, 22:05:51 (last edited Jan 20th 2017, 22:06:49 by Nigel Hawken) Quote 
My speed should be 10 Mb, and I usually get between 11 & 12 according to speedtest.

I have now checked on the tablet and that is showing 0.91 Mb (as did the laptop just now), so slightly faster than earlier showed but still woeful. Even the ping test is saying 2200 msec, whereas that is usually nearly zero.

I will run Norton full scan overnight - though it says I am all good.

I did not think there was ever a minimum speed stated in contracts, only an estimated speed....
Kevin Parkinson
(Group Retired)

GPRO Crew
Scotland 
Certified: 
Old post #159 posted Jan 20th 2017, 22:10:36 Quote 
Quote ( Nigel Hawken @ January 20th 2017,22:05:51 )

I did not think there was ever a minimum speed stated in contracts, only an estimated speed....

Yeah, they don't generally mention it unless you ask but it's a legal requirement so you will have one, and if you're estimate is around 10Mb, the minimum is going to be nowhere near what you're currently getting. If you had all other devices off when trying with the tablet, then it isn't likely to be a malware or virus issue.

Could be an issue with the router, but more likely to be a fault on the line somewhere and you simply won't be able to fix that yourself so the quicker you report it, the quicker it should be addressed. And if they give you any crap (not saying they will, hopefully they'll be very helpful as most are - apart from Talk Talk), feel free to mention the minimum access line speed so they know you know your rights. ;)
Michael Jones
(Group Pro - 14)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #160 posted Jan 20th 2017, 22:15:36 Quote 
EE should be able to check at their end and if fault is in the line then Open Reach will be informed by EE to look into it ...

But you cant get Open Reach to come out yourself it has to be your ISP that contacts them .
Nigel Hawken
(Group Retired)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #161 posted Jan 20th 2017, 22:17:17 Quote 
Thanks Kevin, that is really interesting to know about the minimum speed - I really genuinely did not know anything about that existing before.

I will let the full Norton scan run over night and then see if that picks anything up (I am not expecting it to).

After that I will probably have to try EE - but they have been useless whenever I called them in the past so I don't hold out much hope for that. Maybe mentioning the minimum speed might get more action???
Chris Dalby
(Group Rookie - 87)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #162 posted Jan 20th 2017, 23:04:35 Quote 
Kevin is right. There is a minimum broadband speed in your contract buried deep in there somewhere. This has two benefits. It satisfies OFCOM, and it also gives the provider a baseline. If you are getting slow speeds but it is above the baseline, they can say sorry but your contract does say this may be the case in certain situations, and we will investigate. They are not breaching the contract by doing this. In your case, you are well below the baseline I would suggest.

Kevin is also right in saying that if your other devices are also slow, it won't be malware or a virus. This narrows it down quite a bit. It's either a fault in the outside cabinet, or a fault with the router. If the router has a hard reset (small hole with a button you press in) try this. If this fails then it has to be a cabinet fault.

With all this said, my suggestion would be to switch over to Virgin Media. They have some extremely good deals going at the moment. I'll even recommend you and we will both get £50 off our bill lol :D
Kevin Parkinson
(Group Retired)

GPRO Crew
Scotland 
Certified: 
Old post #163 posted Jan 20th 2017, 23:07:34 (last edited Jan 20th 2017, 23:11:40 by Kevin Parkinson) Quote 
Quote ( Chris Dalby @ January 20th 2017,23:04:35 )

If the router has a hard reset (small hole with a button you press in) try this. If this fails then it has to be a cabinet fault.

I'd be wary about doing a factory reset on a router in case it has username/password information needed for him to use his EE broadband (depends on type of broadband, etc :p). Some hard resets wouldn't remove that info but some might, depends on the router and company that supplied it.
Chris Dalby
(Group Rookie - 87)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #164 posted Jan 20th 2017, 23:15:26 Quote 
Quote ( Kevin Parkinson @ January 20th 2017,23:07:34 )

I'd be wary about doing a factory reset on a router in case it has username/password information needed for him to use his EE broadband (depends on type of broadband, etc :p). Some hard resets wouldn't remove that info but some might, depends on the router and company that supplied it.

You're quite right, and I should have asked first if he had the user details handy. As far as I know EE actually email your password and username depending on whether it was set up in the shop or done over the internet.
Nigel Hawken
(Group Retired)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #165 posted Jan 21st 2017, 13:07:41 (last edited Jan 21st 2017, 13:08:07 by Nigel Hawken) Quote 
Well, I left things over night, Norton did not find anything but speed seems OK for now. I will just have to see how it goes over the coming time period.

Thank you to everyone for their advice and suggestions.
Kevin Parkinson
(Group Retired)

GPRO Crew
Scotland 
Certified: 
Old post #166 posted Jan 21st 2017, 13:46:57 Quote 
I'd still highly recommend contacting your ISP about the issue. Are you now getting full speed that you expected? If the fault is intermittent, there could be a wiring issue somewhere and sometimes this can be detected with a simple line test from the ISP end. Or perhaps there was a fault they were informed about by someone else and they have now resolved. Does no harm to ask them the question and may save potential issues in the future or put your mind it ease if they can tell you a known fault has been remedied.
Jack Wemyss
(Group Amateur - 20)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #167 posted Jan 21st 2017, 15:25:04 (last edited Jan 21st 2017, 15:26:51 by Jack Wemyss) Quote 
Wjy they can call it Fibre when it's shitty Fttc with copper last mile rather than true Fttp is beyond me.

Not to mention the upload/download speeds are almost always asymmetrical . Is it really a true 50 Mbp/s when the upload is below 10?
Nigel Hawken
(Group Retired)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #168 posted Jan 23rd 2017, 22:38:02 Quote 
Thank you for everyone's advice - I called up EE today as the service was still intermittent and also affecting the phone line now as well.

I fear I did them a dis-service early in saying they would be no good as the lady I spoke with could not have been more helpful and ran some diagnostics (big new word for tests) and reported back she did not find a fault with the phone line, but could see that the broadband had been dropping intermittently below my guaranteed minimum speed. She said that could mean a problem with the phone line as well that she just did not pick up.

EE are now escalating and agreed to investigate further to resolve. :)

The thing about the minimum speed was first brought up by the lady at EE, I did not need to mention it at all. The lady also gave me details of the way we can check speed that should show the same speed they see and others may find this useful so it is at speedtest.btwholesale.com . Interestingly this showed a speed about half of what the speedtest shows that come up from a search engine.
Kevin Parkinson
(Group Retired)

GPRO Crew
Scotland 
Certified: 
Old post #169 posted Jan 23rd 2017, 23:15:36 Quote 
Glad to hear they were so helpful :)
Page « 1 2 3 4 5 [6 Quick go to page:
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Off topic forum > Virgin Media 50MB Fibre Broadband - Does it live up to its name? Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist

Reply to this topic