Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Suggestions forum > Two Insignificant Suggestions Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist
Page [1
Author Topic: Two Insignificant Suggestions 15 replies
Trae Fisher
(Group Rookie - 93)

United States 
Certified: 
Like this post (4)   Dislike this post (9)
Old post #1 posted Apr 24th 2017, 01:58:21 Quote 
I have two suggestions that are actually rather minor:

There should actually be Rookie key when a user moves up one level.

Example: User moves from Rookie to Amateur, the new Amateur user is labled as: John Smith (R) or John Smith (D) so something.

Another is for Pro users to be eligible for Mentorship again. Why? Because when most users make it to Pro, they are overwhelmed by the new bells and whistles thrown at them, this might be why some users fall out of pace in Pro and stay in the lower levels. If a Master, or Elite, or even another Pro user eases him/her into this, they may have a chance.

These are rough concepts and minor ones at best, so I called them insignificant.
Christian Beaulieu
(Group Rookie - 15)

Canada 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #2 posted Apr 24th 2017, 03:30:57 Quote 
Quote ( Trae Fisher @ April 24th 2017,01:58:21 )

Example: User moves from Rookie to Amateur, the new Amateur user is labled as: John Smith (R) or John Smith (D) so something.

What? And what would be the use?

Another is for Pro users to be eligible for Mentorship again. Why? Because when most users make it to Pro, they are overwhelmed by the new bells and whistles thrown at them, this might be why some users fall out of pace in Pro and stay in the lower levels. If a Master, or Elite, or even another Pro user eases him/her into this, they may have a chance.

Then maybe you should find yourself a good team to help you!
Daniel Douglas
(Group Amateur - 71)

United States 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #3 posted Apr 24th 2017, 05:02:31 Quote 
At the beginning of the season you can see who came fom the league below and the league above based on the arrows. People who promoted into your group will have green arrows in season standings, people who relegated into your group will have red arrows.

Pro and above mentor program sign up can be found here: /gb/forum/ViewTopic.asp?TopicId=5321#scroll
Mikko Suhonen
(Group Amateur - 122)

Finland 
Certified: 
Like this post (5)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #4 posted Apr 24th 2017, 22:50:30 (last edited Apr 24th 2017, 22:51:15 by Mikko Suhonen) Quote 
I wouldn't actually mind some kind of variant of the the first idea, especially if the manager who'd get the label would be racing his first season in the level. Reading your couple other posts too, I'm getting an impression that you're thinking of something similar as in Indycar, like Ed Jones and Zach Veach this season:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_IndyCar_Series#Driver_standings

So in current Elite standings (could be shown somewhere else if that doesn't look good) you probably mean we could see eg. something like
/gb/Standings.asp?Group=Elite

Niklas Sörén (F)
Adam Wójcik (F)
Joel Viitikko (F)
Michael Genesco (F)

Would probably require not using R like Indycar does, since that letter is already reserved here. F is just an example eg. for Fresh or First-timer, could be something else too.

----

Or, if that doesn't catch on, it wouldn't either be a bad idea at all, to make a new personal achievement for "Rookie of the Season". As in, finishing highest in the final standings out of either a) all the last season's promoters to the group or b) just promoters to the group who are in the said level for the first time like the four mentioned Elite managers above.
Mikko Heikkinen
(Group Pro - 4)

Finland 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #5 posted Apr 25th 2017, 01:45:58 (last edited Apr 25th 2017, 01:48:18 by Mikko Heikkinen) Quote 

Not bad that one :) Even when there is something to that effect already, though AFAIK it is visible only before the first race of the season.

The trouble of such thing would be that quite many (or even most) managers have visited multiple levels multiple times, so even if they promote they would not be real "newcomers" in that level. So would they also get "the key" or not ?

Another is for Pro users to be eligible for Mentorship again. Why? Because when most users make it to Pro, new bells and whistles thrown at them,

As I see it, one major reason for the mentor program is that the new managers have a way to get in contact with other managers. In a way to lower the contact threshold.

By the time you've reached Pro, you should be "integrated" to gpro in such way that various functions (such as mailbox) is already familiar to you :)

There are plenty of people to ask from even without a mentor status, and even on "higher levels" people can be quite helpful. Most (if not all) people you see writing on forums reply if you send them a pm.
Joining a team is also an option.

also... are there really so many new "bells & whistles" ? :)
Daniel Douglas
(Group Amateur - 71)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #6 posted Apr 25th 2017, 01:48:55 Quote 
Quote ( Mikko Suhonen @ April 24th 2017,22:50:30 )

I wouldn't actually mind some kind of variant of the the first idea, especially if the manager who'd get the label would be racing his first season in the level. Reading your couple other posts too, I'm getting an impression that you're thinking of something similar as in Indycar, like Ed Jones and Zach Veach this season:

So in current Elite standings (could be shown somewhere else if that doesn't look good) you probably mean we could see eg. something like

Niklas Sörén (F)
Adam Wójcik (F)
Joel Viitikko (F)
Michael Genesco (F)

Would probably require not using R like Indycar does, since that letter is already reserved here. F is just an example eg. for Fresh or First-timer, could be something else too.

----

Or, if that doesn't catch on, it wouldn't either be a bad idea at all, to make a new personal achievement for "Rookie of the Season". As in, finishing highest in the final standings out of either a) all the last season's promoters to the group or b) just promoters to the group who are in the said level for the first time like the four mentioned Elite managers above.

A "rookie of the year" achievement as you suggest could be pretty cool though I think it would require a seperate standings.

Also, it might best be implemented as a across the board thing, ie one person out of all ama, all pro and all master. Otherwise you might see multiple cases of only one manager competing for it, if it is only first timers (it it is a "promoter of the year, then you could disregard this last bit).
Daniel Mason
(Group Amateur - 83)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #7 posted Apr 25th 2017, 07:09:03 Quote 

are there really so many new "bells & whistles" ? :)

Technical directors and tyre suppliers certainly add more on the to-do list when one promotes for the first time. If one hasn't been fortunate to land a team with some Pro experience, it can be quite daunting to figure out what to do with these new features in a game. While I'm not entirely opposed to a sort of Pro mentorship, in some ways it should already be integrated into the current program, rather than tossed aside as "don't worry about it til you get there" status.
Luke Frost
(Group Pro - 11)

Australia 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (6)
Old post #8 posted Apr 25th 2017, 07:48:40 Quote 
Tree Fishar back at it again with the bad suggestion
Mike Brummert
(Group Pro - 2)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #9 posted Apr 25th 2017, 08:01:22 Quote 
Care to elaborate on that stance? Or are you just here to show us all that you learned that to make an anagram you have to switch letters around?
Tomek Kiełpiński
(Group Amateur - 72)

Poland 
Certified: 
Old post #10 posted Apr 25th 2017, 11:59:16 (last edited Apr 25th 2017, 11:59:27 by Tomek Kiełpiński) Quote 

Niklas Sörén (F)
Adam Wójcik (F)
Joel Viitikko (F)
Michael Genesco (F)

N(ewbie), W(annabe)?

Me like it.
Trae Fisher
(Group Rookie - 93)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #11 posted Apr 25th 2017, 18:44:24 Quote 
I don't get the downvoting, it's just a suggestion.

But it seems I'm on to something.
Quote ( Mikko Heikkinen @ April 25th 2017,01:45:58 )

Not bad that one :) Even when there is something to that effect already, though AFAIK it is visible only before the first race of the season.

The trouble of such thing would be that quite many (or even most) managers have visited multiple levels multiple times, so even if they promote they would not be real "newcomers" in that level. So would they also get "the key" or not ?

Another is for Pro users to be eligible for Mentorship again. Why? Because when most users make it to Pro, new bells and whistles thrown at them,

As I see it, one major reason for the mentor program is that the new managers have a way to get in contact with other managers. In a way to lower the contact threshold.

By the time you've reached Pro, you should be "integrated" to gpro in such way that various functions (such as mailbox) is already familiar to you :)

There are plenty of people to ask from even without a mentor status, and even on "higher levels" people can be quite helpful. Most (if not all) people you see writing on forums reply if you send them a pm.
Joining a team is also an option.

also... are there really so many new "bells & whistles" ? :)

No, they would not get the key. I see irrelevance in the Pro mentor ship.
Quote ( Daniel Douglas @ April 25th 2017,01:48:55 )

Niklas Sörén (F)
Adam Wójcik (F)
Joel Viitikko (F)
Michael Genesco (F)

----

A "rookie of the year" achievement as you suggest could be pretty cool though I think it would require a seperate standings.

Also, it might best be implemented as a across the board thing, ie one person out of all ama, all pro and all master. Otherwise you might see multiple cases of only one manager competing for it, if it is only first timers (it it is a "promoter of the year, then you could disregard this last bit).

A rookie of the year concept sounds awesome, with the separate standings, I see potential for that.

Quote ( Mike Brummert @ April 25th 2017,08:01:22 )

Care to elaborate on that stance? Or are you just here to show us all that you learned that to make an anagram you have to switch letters around?

I do care to elaborate: Look, we wanna make sure we can separate the career users from the rookie users. We would be able to keep track of all "Rookie" users of that group and see if they would have potential, if they don't they'll fall back or just stick around in the level.

With that, the ROTY thing you see above would be a great add-on, as you see, we'd be able to track all of the rookies, for example: John Doe: ROTY in Rookie (Rookie-93) or Jane Doe: ROTY in Pro (Pro-10).
Edwin Silva
(Group Master - 3)

Colombia 
Certified: 
Old post #12 posted Apr 25th 2017, 18:49:51 Quote 
I like the idea and I don't understand the downvoting either. Maybe if it was a game changing suggestion or something, but it is an esthetic change that doesn't do any harm. Plus Mikko's additional suggestion of Rookie of the Year sounds great too.
Andrew Watson
(Group Amateur - 25)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #13 posted Apr 25th 2017, 18:56:41 (last edited Apr 25th 2017, 18:57:24 by Andrew Watson) Quote 
Yeah, I like the idea of marking a promoter to a group. Just an asterisk next to their name would do.

Make it a tick-box option, if you like.
Mason Somoza
(Group Amateur - 54)

Nicaragua 
Certified: 
Old post #14 posted Apr 25th 2017, 19:35:35 Quote 
Quote ( Luke Frost @ April 25th 2017,07:48:40 )

Tree Fishar back at it again with the bad suggestion

Why always living on the dark side there? Mommy issues keeping you down?

That said, it's a good idea, and I like Mikko's concept, as well.
Mikko Suhonen
(Group Amateur - 122)

Finland 
Certified: 
Old post #15 posted Apr 25th 2017, 19:39:45 (last edited Apr 25th 2017, 19:40:29 by Mikko Suhonen) Quote 
Quote ( Daniel Douglas @ April 25th 2017,01:48:55 )

It could work if it was implemented across the board too, but then it's a problem of determining what is the best way to measure the newcomers' betterness between different groups. One could argue that all of eg. the following: standings finish position, amount of points scored, one big race time, can be valid but have a good chance of producing different winners. This is why the achievement can work just as well inside just one group too (either between real newcomers or all promoters), or why not have both group-wide and level-wide.

Quote ( Mikko Heikkinen @ April 25th 2017,01:45:58 )

Quote ( Trae Fisher @ April 25th 2017,18:44:24 )

No, they would not get the key.

Sounds very cool in that case. All promoters & demoters to any group have indeed the green & red arrows beside their names in season standings page before Race 1, like Mikko above was remembering, but it probably wouldn't hurt to mark all the promoters also somehow during the season too, if there would be such an achievement. Just as long the standings page doesn't get awkward looking.

Btw the only problem for any such Rookie of the Season kind of achievement for real newcomers in a certain level, is that you would have a chance of achieving that only ONCE in your career, whereas all current achievements seem to be something that have no limits on time or amount of tries.

Quote ( Tomek Kiełpiński @ April 25th 2017,11:59:16 )

N(ewbie), W(annabe)?

(N) might not work either because that's also reserved in the standings page. But (W), why not that too.
Trae Fisher
(Group Rookie - 93)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #16 posted Apr 25th 2017, 21:34:04 Quote 
You have a point, Mikko, some Amateur users might use the strategy of silently building up your car and driver before going all out and screaming "TO PROMOTION!"

But I can't figure out HOW to change that up...
Page [1
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Suggestions forum > Two Insignificant Suggestions Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist

Reply to this topic