Page « 1 2 3 ... 50 51 [52 Quick go to page:
Author Topic: Computer help.. 1558 replies
Stuart Foster
(Group Amateur - 14)

Wales 
Certified: 
Like this post (3)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #1530 posted Jan 6th 2019, 02:35:16 (last edited Jan 6th 2019, 02:43:19 by Stuart Foster) Quote 
Apple frustrates me a lot.

I still use 6th gen Ipod Classic, but it is no longer supported with the latest iTunes.
I can't anymore sync to library, see my purchased music or buy any new stuff from the store without buying a new player. My player will run on upto iTunes 11 (though I use 10.7 version just cos I prefer the old school layout...its a creature comfort thing). Thing I don't get is how everything to do with Apple on Windows has such a short period of support. Think the classic was only discontinued in 2014, which to me seems quite poor really that its been given the brush off. The frustrating thing is that if I had even 1st gen iPod with a mac pc then I could still keep that synchronized if I happened to have one. On Windows, its not the case.

Ah well. I suppose its just more annoying than anything, if not cheeky, that I have no access no more for a lot of paid for stuff. And not because anything I did. Apple thinks users should buy new stuff even every 5 years? If something works, you don't replace it...if it works well you certainly don't. And anyway, who would even want an iPod touch...they're horrible things.

Tech (company) people don't understand that there are consumers who like tech, but don't want to change it all the time and just want a product they can keep using. Being of tech mind and creature comfort don't go together I guess. Or at least that's how Apple expects its userbase to not be like. I can't be the only person who likes tech, but prefers to keep good, working tech that they are content about.

Maybe I am the only one. But I feel I shouldn't need to spend so much every so often...especially when the premium is already paid in the brand.

Jasper Coosemans1
(Group Pro - 18)

Belgium 
Certified: 
Like this post (6)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #1531 posted Jan 6th 2019, 04:18:51 Quote 
Quote ( Stuart Foster @ January 6th 2019,02:35:16 )

Tech (company) people don't understand that there are consumers who like tech, but don't want to change it all the time and just want a product they can keep using.

They understand it perfectly, they just prefer to screw you over by making you attached to their product and then forcing you to buy another one. It's part of the business model.
Adrian Summers
(Group Rookie - 135)

United States 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #1532 posted Jan 6th 2019, 04:35:43 Quote 
Makes cassette tapes look better and better all the time.
Andrew Wilden
(Group Pro - 5)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #1533 posted Jan 6th 2019, 08:09:38 (last edited Jan 6th 2019, 08:10:08 by Andrew Wilden) Quote 
Avoid Apple.
Buy a Samsung.
I have no problems 😊
Stuart Foster
(Group Amateur - 14)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #1534 posted Jan 6th 2019, 10:29:00 Quote 
I think the thing I least like about it is the fact that you can have many apple products as I have....iPod, iPhone, iPad and I'll count iTunes as another since it's a continuous paid for product...but iI can't access stuff or keep certain things updated cos the one thing I don't have is an Apple Mac PC. Whereas users of those machines get the benefit of continuous support and access to all features. That's the bit I don't like. I suppose their tech support will now message me back saying 'well it's a shame you don't have an Apple Mac....'. I'm not spending any more money though on Apple stuff.

I have a 32 year old Technics turntable Adrian :)
Adrian Summers
(Group Rookie - 135)

United States 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #1535 posted Jan 7th 2019, 01:03:23 Quote 
Quote ( Stuart Foster @ January 6th 2019,10:29:00 )

I have a 32 year old Technics turntable Adrian :)
In all honesty, I've wondered about the whole vinyl thing, not that I'm saying anything against it at all. I have limited experience with it, as I was pretty young the last time I listened to any songs on vinyl. Back then, the only thing to compare sound to was either an 8-track tape, or cassette, both of which had the notorious tape hiss and other problems. When the CD came along, obviously the sound was cleaner, being digital, but some nuance must have been lost with the necessary compression to fit everything on the smaller disc. I vaguely remember early "digital disc", that seemed to be large like an LP, but I never had any experience with that stuff, because it was expensive. Anyway, I just wonder if they offered a large digital disc with no file compression, if it could be equal to vinyl sound quality, or if the fact of it being digital inherently makes it impossible to faithfully reproduce equal quality.
Jay De Snoo
(Group Pro - 7)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #1536 posted Jan 7th 2019, 02:47:02 (last edited Jan 7th 2019, 03:09:18 by Jay De Snoo) Quote 
There's quite a large difference to original vinyl (back in the old days where the press used was directly attached to the sounds produced when recording) and current day vinyl which is mostly based on digital masters. But modern play ware is also much better... but perhaps not so much for vinyl... ;) ( I don't know, never checked it since happy with digital)

Any LP produced through the old fashioned way will sound better to many vs a CD of the same record, provided one has good quality stuff and a good hearing..
However with current day techniques (vs the early day compression) hardly anyone, except those with absolute hearing perhaps, will notice a difference in sound, no matter how good their hardware is.
Adrian Summers
(Group Rookie - 135)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #1537 posted Jan 7th 2019, 04:48:56 Quote 
Cool. Thanks for your thoughts. I've heard arguments for and against, like Bill Maher said he remembers vinyl records, they sounded scratchy. LOL I think to some degree it comes down to people's sense of nostalgia too, at least for some. Oh well, it's an interesting topic to me, but I didn't mean to get off topic. :D
Jaco Van Zyl
(Group Amateur - 70)

South Africa 
Certified: 
Old post #1538 posted Jan 15th 2019, 11:27:31 Quote 
I am looking for a program to design page layouts in order for me to get an idea of which tables I need to develop for my database. Any freeware programs recommended?
Zdravko Subakov
(Group Pro - 21)

Serbia 
Certified: 
Old post #1539 posted Jan 15th 2019, 13:53:04 Quote 
I probably dont understand what you are asking but what does page layout design have with database design?
Usually youll have tables for entities and tables that do some kind of keeping records of processing these entities, depending all on requirements.
Jaco Van Zyl
(Group Amateur - 70)

South Africa 
Certified: 
Old post #1540 posted Jan 15th 2019, 13:57:58 (last edited Jan 15th 2019, 14:08:25 by Jaco Van Zyl) Quote 
Quote ( Zdravko Subakov @ January 15th 2019,13:53:04 )

I probably dont understand what you are asking but what does page layout design have with database design?
Usually youll have tables for entities and tables that do some kind of keeping records of processing these entities, depending all on requirements.

I am not use to designing different tables so I find it easier to do a mock up of the screen to see which tables I need.
Tibor Szuromi
(Group Master - 4)

Hungary 
Certified: 
Old post #1541 posted Jan 15th 2019, 14:17:08 Quote 
Excel files work fine for me.
I'm working with linked reference.
Chris Shaw
(Group Pro - 25)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #1542 posted Apr 7th 2019, 14:33:11 Quote 
I have a weird VBA problem. This returns "0" no matter what table index I use:

IE.navigate ("https://gpro.net/gb/RaceAnalysis.asp?SR=" & season & "," & race)

IE.Document.getElementsByTagName("tbody")(8).getElementsByTagName("tr")(0).getElementsByTagName("td")(0).innertext)

I am looking at the new race analysis page (last few races) and I'm trying to get the risks from quali. I tried table number 6,7,8 and all return the number zero as innertext.

Ideas?
Ania Piekarska
(Group Amateur - 9)

Poland 
Certified: 
Old post #1543 posted Apr 7th 2019, 14:58:15 Quote 
Did a similar query work for you before?

If you inspect the tables with browser, the <tbody> tag is there. But if you download the file, there is only <table> tag and immediately after it you have <tr>. I believe this is because the browser corrects the tags if the source didn't contain <tbody>.

The fix will be to parse the page as if there is no <tbody> tag.
Chris Shaw
(Group Pro - 25)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #1544 posted Apr 7th 2019, 15:00:48 Quote 
Quote ( Ania Piekarska @ April 7th 2019,14:58:15 )

Did a similar query work for you before?

If you inspect the tables with browser, the &lt;tbody&gt; tag is there. But if you download the file, there is only &lt;table&gt; tag and immediately after it you have &lt;tr&gt;. I believe this is because the browser corrects the tags if the source didn't contain &lt;tbody&gt;.

The fix will be to parse the page as if there is no &lt;tbody&gt; tag.

I did lots of queries earlier in the code, for example:

IE.Document.getElementsByTagName("table")(2).getElementsByTagName("tr")(6).getElementsByTagName("td")(k).innertext

I saw the tbody tag being removed from the raw HTML, and I tried using <table> but this also has the same problem.
Ania Piekarska
(Group Amateur - 9)

Poland 
Certified: 
Old post #1545 posted Apr 7th 2019, 15:14:34 (last edited Apr 7th 2019, 15:18:01 by Ania Piekarska) Quote 
Quote ( Chris Shaw @ April 7th 2019,15:00:48 )

IE.Document.getElementsByTagName("table")(2).getElementsByTagName("tr")(6).getElementsByTagName("td")(k).innertext

My issue was only whether it ever worked for you using tbody (possibly VBA fixes the structure too, I don't know much about it). This one is fine then.

Quote ( Chris Shaw @ April 7th 2019,15:00:48 )

I saw the tbody tag being removed from the raw HTML, and I tried using <table> but this also has the same problem.

If I'm counting correctly, it should be 7th (0-based) table with quali risks. 8th table starts with tr-th so it returning 0 for tr-td query is not wrong.

Edit: this number can be different if you didn't run practice laps.
Chris Shaw
(Group Pro - 25)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #1546 posted Apr 7th 2019, 16:49:39 Quote 
Thanks Ania, I hadn't anticipated a few problems with the page layout changing, I've modified my code.

The problem I reported wasn't a DOM issue in the end - I had Val(DOM object) in my code later on, was using it to clean numeric data but I was accidentally entering strings into it hence I get "0" on my output.
Roy Mitchell
(Group Amateur - 23)

Canada 
Certified: 
Old post #1547 posted Apr 8th 2019, 06:27:16 (last edited Apr 8th 2019, 06:29:50 by Roy Mitchell) Quote 
Chris or Ania are you open to some basic help with data and how put it in useful Excel spread sheet? PM if possible, thanks. :)
Chris Shaw
(Group Pro - 25)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #1548 posted Jun 27th 2019, 01:31:23 Quote 
Hey Roy, I missed your reply. If you need any Excel help send me a message.

Now for something very different, anyone here know Unity?

See my request here:

https://answers.unity.com/questions/1643876/unwanted-transla...

The wheels on my car dont go round and round...
Chris Shaw
(Group Pro - 25)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #1549 posted Jul 3rd 2019, 01:01:39 Quote 
I still need help with Unity, if anyone can help I'll pay well in supporter credits :-)
Florencia Caro
(Group Master - 4)

GPRO Crew
Argentina 
Certified: 
Old post #1550 posted Jan 12th 2020, 00:06:17 Quote 
I want to edit an audio track to fit a certain time length and possibly mix it a bit in extra layers. Any pros that can recommend software for that, both paid or free?
Constantin Heller
(Group Retired)

Germany 
Certified: 
Old post #1551 posted Jan 12th 2020, 00:19:14 Quote 
for simple edits, the free program Audacity has always done the trick for me (not a pro of course)

if you want to do something more complicated, you might wanna look into paid software though
Chris Shaw
(Group Amateur - 48)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #1552 posted Mar 29th 2020, 14:19:22 Quote 
In Excel, I have a spreadsheet that has (or had) rows 60-max row allowed and columns AZ-MaxColumn (XFD?) hidden. For a long time the spreadsheet behaved ok, it would open quickly and I could go in and unhide the hidden stuff.

Recently Excel takes 4-5 minutes to load the 20MB sheet and it will hang for hours when hiding or showing the rows. On occasion I can trick it by setting the row/column size instead of using unhide (since hide is just 0 size)

I have tried the usual CTRL+SHIFT+Down then "Clear All" on my ranges, and I also tried to Delete Rows / columns. These cause "out of memory" issues, although I am using 32 bit Excel...

Finally, I tried some VBA:

?activesheet.usedrange.address --> Returns a high row number

activesheet.usedrange
?activesheet.usedrange.address --> Still returns the same as above

Where do I go from here? I can't really do the nuclear option of a full rebuild, what can I do?
Thijs Rieken
(Group Amateur - 37)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #1553 posted Mar 29th 2020, 18:55:42 Quote 
You could try to upload a copy to one drive and see if excel online can work with it
Jay De Snoo
(Group Pro - 1)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #1554 posted Mar 29th 2020, 22:05:26 (last edited Mar 29th 2020, 22:07:46 by Jay De Snoo) Quote 
20MB is a lot for excel. And the used range might be the cause. You said you deleted rows and colums but by pressing delete (which just clears the contents, not formatting etc and does not reset the used range) or by right click and select delete (which clears anythign and resets the used range).

Quote ( Chris Shaw @ March 29th 2020,14:19:22 )

Where do I go from here? I can't really do the nuclear option of a full rebuild, what can I do?

You seem to suggest it's a 1 worksheet spreadsheet.

If so and the above is not working, then a quick & simple solution might be to copy everyting you entered and past it as formula (and perhaps formatting after) into a new spreadsheet and save.

For multiple worksheets it's a bit harder since you've got to replace the reference to the previous file from each formula (simply by replacing the reference by nothign for all, after saving)

If that fails too then here are some other possible causes and solutions.
https://www.excelefficiency.com/reduce-excel-file-size/

One thing not in; if track changes is that might be the cause too.
Gold Mee
(Group Rookie - 127)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #1555 posted Dec 22nd 2022, 08:05:26 (last edited Dec 22nd 2022, 08:09:33 by Vladimir Alexandrov) Quote 
*poof*
Keith Partridge
(Group Amateur - 51)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #1556 posted Feb 11th 2023, 04:00:42 Quote 
My PC has suddenly decided not to switch off. The screen goes black with "Shutting down" in the centre but after 2-3 seconds it flicks back to the "home" screen.

Checked using Task Manager and nothing is running...

Any ideas??
Eduardo Sanchez Carenzo
(Group Pro - 20)

Mexico 
Certified: 
Old post #1557 posted Feb 11th 2023, 05:30:46 Quote 
First check that there are no updates pending.

if not I would do the following:

If a desktop, unplug it, wait 10-20 seconds and boot again, normally a cold boot will solve the issue

If notebook, press the power button and keep it pressed until it shuts down, wait 10-20 seocnds and restart.

I would check after the reboot for any malware that could be stopping the reboot and some of those walware hide within noral programs
Richard Robin Paukson
(Group Amateur - 16)

Estonia 
Certified: 
Old post #1558 posted Feb 11th 2023, 18:52:21 Quote 
Quote ( Keith Partridge @ February 11th 2023,04:00:42 )

My PC has suddenly decided not to switch off. The screen goes black with "Shutting down" in the centre but after 2-3 seconds it flicks back to the "home" screen.

Checked using Task Manager and nothing is running...

Any ideas??

Have you tried turning it off and on again? :P

But if you're using Windows then it has "fast start up" or something like that enabled by default which means your computer doesn't fully shut down while a restart actually shuts down the computer and starts it back up again.
Page « 1 2 3 ... 50 51 [52 Quick go to page:

Reply to this topic