Pagina « 1 2 3 ... 96 97 [98 Ga naar pagina:
Auteur Onderwerp: F1 Trivia 2918 antwoorden
Dominik Karda
(Groep Amateur - 36)

Land:
Tsjechië 
Gecertificeerd: 
Vind dit een toffe post (0)   Houd niet van deze post (0)
Oud bericht #2911 geplaatst Jun 28 2011, 12:14:41 Quote 
Quote ( William Hunt @ June 28th 2011,01:57:26 )

Grouillard was a very quick and underrated driver though, did some miracle drives in the Fondmetal.
I agree. Shame that he wasn't in a better team than Ligier etc. He deserved a lot better drive.
William Hunt
(Groep Rookie - 102)

Land:
België 
Gecertificeerd: 
Vind dit een toffe post (2)   Houd niet van deze post (0)
Oud bericht #2912 geplaatst Jun 28 2011, 22:07:06 (laatst aangepast Jun 28 2011, 22:07:45 door William Hunt) Quote 
Quote ( Dominik Karda @ June 28th 2011,12:14:41 )

I agree. Shame that he wasn't in a better team than Ligier etc. He deserved a lot better drive.

I remember as a 12 year old kid visiting the 1988 F3000 race in Zolder and Grouillard scored a dominant win there, very convincing, Blundell was second that day and it was Grouillard's second win in a row, he was vice-champion in F3000 that year (the more experienced Roberto Moreno won the title in '88) but that day in Zolder I became a fan of Grouillard and I was very excited to see him sign for Ligier but Ligier produced a dog of car in 1988, he only scored 1 6th place and 4 top 10 finishes with it.
Ben Gilbert
(Groep Rookie - 25)

Land:
België 
Gecertificeerd: 
Oud bericht #2913 geplaatst Jun 28 2011, 22:12:01 Quote 
It's been over two years since I asked the question, and we've got there in the end: it is Gabriele Tarquini, with 0.013 points per race.

For some extraordinary reason many people claim it to be Ghinzani, at 0.018 points per race.

Let's see if the thread can be revived, so it's...Gianluca's turn. :)
William Hunt
(Groep Rookie - 102)

Land:
België 
Gecertificeerd: 
Oud bericht #2914 geplaatst Jun 28 2011, 22:24:42 Quote 
Well it's not extraordinary at all Ben because Ghinzani's F1 career was 7 full seasons and 1 season with just 2 races, it started in 1981 and ended in 1989

Compare that to Tarquini who only drove 5 full seasons in F1 (2 years less as Ghinzani) and 2 seasons with just 1 race. So Tarquini's F1 carreer was clearly shorter as Ghinzani's.

But when you compare their talent, Tarquini wins hands down. Tarquini was one of the best drivers on the grid, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time all the time, in a top car he would have won races for sure. People who saw him racing the AGS car in 1989 know how good he was.

Ghinzani looked very talented early in his carreer but as it progressed he looked very average, that was very obvious when he was driving next to faster drivers at Toleman (Teo Fabi) or Ligier (René Arnoux) and at Zakspeed he could just match a young Bernd Schneider.

So when you think about the most unsucceful driver you tent to overlook Tarquini because he was so talented and if Ghinzani's best result was 6th and not 5th, it would have been Ghinzani by a long distance.
Ben Gilbert
(Groep Rookie - 25)

Land:
België 
Gecertificeerd: 
Oud bericht #2915 geplaatst Jun 28 2011, 22:32:54 (laatst aangepast Jun 28 2011, 22:36:51 door Benjimin Gilbert) Quote 
Quote ( William Hunt @ June 28th 2011,22:24:42 )

Well it's not extraordinary at all Ben because Ghinzani's F1 career was 7 full seasons and 1 season with just 2 races, it started in 1981 and ended in 1989

Compare that to Tarquini who only drove 5 full seasons in F1 (2 years less as Ghinzani) and 2 seasons with just 1 race. So Tarquini's F1 carreer was clearly shorter as Ghinzani's.

But when you compare their talent, Tarquini wins hands down. Tarquini was one of the best drivers on the grid, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time all the time, in a top car he would have won races for sure. People who saw him racing the AGS car in 1989 know how good he was.

Ghinzani looked very talented early in his carreer but as it progressed he looked very average, that was very obvious when he was driving next to faster drivers at Toleman (Teo Fabi) or Ligier (René Arnoux) and at Zakspeed he could just match a young Bernd Schneider.

So when you think about the most unsucceful driver you tent to overlook Tarquini because he was so talented and if Ghinzani's best result was 6th and not 5th, it would have been Ghinzani by a long distance.

I see your point, William. I agree that Tarquini was by far the more talented (that he is still at the pointy end of WTCC despite nearing fifty is a testament to this), and it's easy to simply assume that he did far better than he actually did in F1. I merely meant that it's fairly easy to check this statistic, and yet Ghinzani is often given the 'credit'.
William Hunt
(Groep Rookie - 102)

Land:
België 
Gecertificeerd: 
Vind dit een toffe post (1)   Houd niet van deze post (0)
Oud bericht #2916 geplaatst Jun 28 2011, 22:39:15 (laatst aangepast Jun 28 2011, 22:40:32 door William Hunt) Quote 
that's why it was such a great question by you Ben! If it's a hard but interesting question and people come up with different answers, that means you did a fine job finding that question!

And even I, with all my F1 history interest, thought automatically that it must have been Piercarlo Ghinzani (who I actually liked a lot as a kid because he was the ultimate underdog, always driving at the back but with passion because he came back every year although he looked more hopless every year). And looking up statistics would have been too easy, for people with knowledge on F1 history, they should answer a question in a game like this out of their head, looking it up would be cheating imho.

William Hunt
(Groep Rookie - 102)

Land:
België 
Gecertificeerd: 
Vind dit een toffe post (1)   Houd niet van deze post (0)
Oud bericht #2917 geplaatst Jun 30 2011, 16:23:48 Quote 
so when will the new question be asked?
Wim De Jager
(Groep Rookie - 242)

Land:
België 
Gecertificeerd: 
Oud bericht #2918 geplaatst Jul 2 2011, 18:43:34 (laatst aangepast Jul 2 2011, 18:43:56 door Wim De Jager) Quote 
Quote ( William Hunt @ June 28th 2011,22:24:42 )

I hired Piercarlo Ghinzani in GPRO and he won his first race that he ever drove for me!

Ghinzani was actually a very good sportscar driver for Lancia in the early 1980s and he was an Italian and a European F3 champion before he moved to F1 so I agree that he looked like a very big talent early in his career. I remember him very well in his blue Osella in F1 but he probably wasted his best years for Osella, when he got some chances at other F1 teams he probably was not that fast anymore as he was in the early 1980s.
William Hunt
(Groep Rookie - 102)

Land:
België 
Gecertificeerd: 
Oud bericht #2919 geplaatst Jul 3 2011, 00:54:17 Quote 
Ghinzani did have a very heavy crash with the Osella in 1984 in Kyalami, it was remarkable that he escaped serious injury there because there was virtually nothing left of his car, it could have been fatal had he not been so lucky.

Maybe his speed and his confidence were affected a bit because of that shunt.
Pagina « 1 2 3 ... 96 97 [98 Ga naar pagina:

Antwoord op dit bericht