Страница [1
Автор Тема: Armastice 20 отговори
Dave Sunderland
(Група Amateur - 41)

Страна:
Англия 
Сертифициран: 
Харесвам това мнение (11)   Не харесвам това мнение (0)
Старо мнение #1 публикувано 11 Ное 2018 г. 13:20:39 Цитат 
I DO HOPE THIS IS NOT CLASSED AS "POLITICAL"
It is not ment to be .

Sat here viewing the "March" In London.. Went to our local cenotaph this morning in the rain !

This year among all years these events are "Very special" with the 100th Anniversary of WW1.

I wonder if other Countries have put on "special" events for this "never to forget" event..
I see right now on the March. Canadians New Zealand Australia and Indian representatives ! Among many others !
Wonderful to see !!!!

I thought it was Poignant that for the first time ever ... The German President laid a wreath in London,, He was the 3rd person to lay the wreath..

Lest we forget !
Stuart Foster
(Група Pro - 3)

Страна:
Уелс 
Сертифициран: 
Харесвам това мнение (11)   Не харесвам това мнение (0)
Старо мнение #2 публикувано 11 Ное 2018 г. 13:26:52 (редактирано 11 Ное 2018 г. 13:28:18 от Stuart Foster) Цитат 
I think remembrance topics are allowed as long as it does not contain a political message.

Its important we honour and remember the dead of those who made (self) sacrifices during war time, especially so to ensure mistakes from the past are not repeated. Above all else, those who served, did so to protect the freedoms we all enjoy today. For that, we should be thankful.
Michael Armbruster
(Група Pro - 11)

Страна:
Германия 
Сертифициран: 
Харесвам това мнение (2)   Не харесвам това мнение (0)
Старо мнение #3 публикувано 11 Ное 2018 г. 13:56:36 (редактирано 11 Ное 2018 г. 14:12:08 от Michael Armbruster) Цитат 
Quote ( Dave Sunderland @ November 11th 2018,13:20:39 )

I wonder if other Countries have put on "special" events for this "never to forget" event.

There is a big one at the Arc de triomphe in Paris visited by the Trump, Putin and Merkel among many other heads of state. Just May and the Polish head of state aren't there, because they have their own events, which is fine too.
Quentin Rieg
(Група Amateur - 70)

Страна:
Франция 
Сертифициран: 
Харесвам това мнение (1)   Не харесвам това мнение (0)
Старо мнение #4 публикувано 11 Ное 2018 г. 14:01:25 (редактирано 11 Ное 2018 г. 14:02:55 от Quentin Rieg) Цитат 
Quote ( Dave Sunderland @ November 11th 2018,13:20:39 )

I wonder if other Countries have put on "special" events for this "never to forget" event..

There was an event in Paris with Trump, Macron, Trudeau, Merkel and many others. We have to commemorate this because it's part of our life. Without it, french, germans, englishmen, russians and americans couldn't play and talk together on GPRO :)
If it wasn't rainy, I went to Paris' event :(
Dave Sunderland
(Група Amateur - 41)

Страна:
Англия 
Сертифициран: 
Харесвам това мнение (3)   Не харесвам това мнение (0)
Старо мнение #5 публикувано 11 Ное 2018 г. 14:20:20 Цитат 
Yes the word "Peace or World peace!" are gifted to these celebrations,, For want a better word.

I note on posts above,, The word "freedom" is used rather than peace.
This is exactly my thoughts,, World peace is impossible,, But as stated ,, We have our freedom .

I think ,, on the whole the younger/middle generation see peace as, not an objective,, but freedom is priceless..

If it is raining in Paris,,, Should be interesting to see if Mr Trumps hair runs :)
Jasper Coosemans1
(Група Pro - 18)

Страна:
Белгия 
Сертифициран: 
Харесвам това мнение (6)   Не харесвам това мнение (0)
Старо мнение #6 публикувано 11 Ное 2018 г. 16:07:39 Цитат 
In Belgium we have had commemoration events constantly over the past 4 years. Over here, the first world war was a worse tragedy than the second, and it is an enormous part of our history. The first aerial bombardments in world history, the first chemical attacks, it happened here and it's not forgotten.

So today is the culmination of 4 years of remembrance. National TV is doing an 8 hour long broadcast, well-known musicians have written songs just for this occasion, and of course the local fire brigade will play The Last Post in Ieper tonight at 20:00 local time for about the 31,000th time (every night since 1928).
Roy Mitchell
(Група Amateur - 23)

Страна:
Канада 
Сертифициран: 
Старо мнение #7 публикувано 11 Ное 2018 г. 23:53:52 (редактирано 11 Ное 2018 г. 23:56:50 от Roy Mitchell) Цитат 
It is said Canada came of age in that war. Canadians lost many lives in the First World War. We commemorate our veterans each year.

This being the 100th anniversary there were special Commemorations throughout our beautiful country.

We must always remember and honour the Belgian people.
Jasper Coosemans1
(Група Pro - 18)

Страна:
Белгия 
Сертифициран: 
Харесвам това мнение (0)   Не харесвам това мнение (0)
Старо мнение #8 публикувано 11 Ное 2018 г. 23:55:32 Цитат 
Quote ( Roy Mitchell @ November 11th 2018,23:53:52 )

We must always remember and honour the people of the Netherlands.

Would you like to elaborate on that? The Netherlands didn't take part in WW1.
Roy Mitchell
(Група Amateur - 23)

Страна:
Канада 
Сертифициран: 
Старо мнение #9 публикувано 12 Ное 2018 г. 00:02:43 (редактирано 12 Ное 2018 г. 00:03:13 от Roy Mitchell) Цитат 
Not especially. I'm not presidential enough to declare a 'Trumpism' :)

I meant Belgium ofc.

My apologies somehow I was looking at my friend in the Netherlands and it carried over
Vincent Baguet
(Група Amateur - 34)

Страна:
Белгия 
Сертифициран: 
Старо мнение #10 публикувано 12 Ное 2018 г. 00:55:03 Цитат 
Apologies accepted ;-)
Btw, a big thank you to the men/women from 122!! nationalities who battled for our freedom in our little country
Jasper Coosemans1
(Група Pro - 18)

Страна:
Белгия 
Сертифициран: 
Старо мнение #11 публикувано 12 Ное 2018 г. 01:26:55 Цитат 
Lol ok. :)

Belgium may have been the scene for many ugly battles in that war, but let's not forget that the majority of casualties on our side of the Western Front were British soldiers, and French. There were also Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians, Americans...

Belgium had close to no military power when the war broke out, because like the Netherlands, Belgium was bound by international treaties to be neutral in the case of any armed conflicts. In 1914, the German Empire requested safe passage of its army through Belgium, to have an easier way to Paris. Belgium refused because it would be a breach of neutrality, so Germany decided to force its way through, as Belgium was relatively defenceless anyway.

The Belgian army only managed to keep a tiny portion of the country by retreating behind a river and flooding the nearby polders, halting the advance of the German army. That bought them enough time to wait for assistance from the British army. The rest is history...
Dave Sunderland
(Група Amateur - 41)

Страна:
Англия 
Сертифициран: 
Старо мнение #12 публикувано 12 Ное 2018 г. 17:54:44 (редактирано 12 Ное 2018 г. 17:56:17 от Dave Sunderland) Цитат 
The low lands and France took a "severe" beating for sure..

I was in Northern France at a wedding recently,, Interested in WW1/2 I visited several war grave sites..
The Vimmy Ridge for Canadians was both beautiful, interesting and horrific with the "bunkers" being re built as was,, for visitors.. Very moving experience !!
I think I am correct in saying,, Vimmy Ridge was "given" to Canada as a peace of land,, I don't believe any other Nation got that Honour from the French ??

Our French Host,, was an 80 year old relative of the bride,, Many stories he told,, The most memorable was , how he told me how the local farmers were forced (through choice) to fight with tools from the farm to protect the Homeland !! Amazing !

I visited a school,,, The host told me the locals were "rounded up" and executed in the basement of the school !

Could go on !!

I will,,, I found it VERY moving how local school kids tended the War grave Land as PART of the school curriculum !!

It is a shame the UK, and it's Kids are separated by that bit of sea !!
But then again we are to leave Europe as a partner !..??

Quentin Rieg
(Група Amateur - 70)

Страна:
Франция 
Сертифициран: 
Старо мнение #13 публикувано 12 Ное 2018 г. 18:43:59 Цитат 
Quote ( Dave Sunderland @ November 12th 2018,17:54:44 )

I think I am correct in saying,, Vimmy Ridge was "given" to Canada as a peace of land,, I don't believe any other Nation got that Honour from the French ??

I believe there is also a dozen of american cimeteries given by France to Americans. And Trump visited one of them this week-end.

Quote ( Dave Sunderland @ November 12th 2018,17:54:44 )

The low lands and France took a "severe" beating for sure..I will,,, I found it VERY moving how local school kids tended the War grave Land as PART of the school curriculum !!

It is a shame the UK, and it's Kids are separated by that bit of sea !!
But then again we are to leave Europe as a partner !..??

In high school, we learn during a whole year both WWI and WWII and there is a war memorial is every village and every town. The wars are deeply rooted in our culture.

Did you go to Oradour-sur-Glane ? It's not located in the North and it's about WWII but it's very impressive too
Dave Sunderland
(Група Amateur - 41)

Страна:
Англия 
Сертифициран: 
Старо мнение #14 публикувано 12 Ное 2018 г. 19:47:51 Цитат 
Hi Quentin !
We stayed in ARRAS in Northern France,, The wedding was French / Polish,, Very Interesting indeed !
It was a short visit of 7 days,, Visited , Lens, Ypres and Vimmy ,, All memorable..

Your point about High School Education is my very point,, It is not high enough on the agenda here ..

But Yes Most villages and towns have Memorials that are ,, over all well kept..
The fact it is NOT,, on our door step is the reason it is drifting into the abyss other than the November Month !!
Alessio Girasole
(Група Amateur - 33)

Страна:
Италия 
Сертифициран: 
Харесвам това мнение (0)   Не харесвам това мнение (1)
Старо мнение #15 публикувано 12 Ное 2018 г. 19:55:45 Цитат 
I wish you could read this thread's title in roman slang.
Thijs Rieken
(Група Rookie - 23)

Страна:
Холандия 
Сертифициран: 
Старо мнение #16 публикувано 13 Ное 2018 г. 09:20:29 Цитат 
I think WW1 deserves a bit more attention in the Netherlands... Yes, "we" did not really take much part in it, but it's a World War!
WW2 is commemorated thoroughly here (I work in Rotterdam, which has become the very ugly, messy, city it is now simply because most of the city was bombed, decimating the old centre.)

I don't know much about WW1, except perhaps the names of Verdun and some knowledge about trenches. I do know that, for soldiers, it was a horrible, horrible war, even compared to WW2.

Let us never forget these years of horror. Let us see to it that this never happens again.
Michael Jones
(Група Pro - 18)

Страна:
Англия 
Сертифициран: 
Старо мнение #17 публикувано 13 Ное 2018 г. 09:52:31 Цитат 
Think it was once said that if the German public had actually known how bad it was in WW1 then WW2 wouldnt have happened.

But then it hasnt stopped other wars since.

My father was in the Black Watch in WW2 and in Sept 1939 the battalion was captured in Northern France and marched to Conc Camp in Germany.

That was the only thing he ever told the family.
Niels Wolters
(Група Amateur - 34)

Страна:
Холандия 
Сертифициран: 
Старо мнение #18 публикувано 13 Ное 2018 г. 15:29:17 Цитат 
We can't even imagine what took place in WW1 (or WW2 for that matter).

I was in France with my family and we visited Oradour-sur-Glane, a village was slaughtered in WW2, the village has remained unchanged, it was never rebuild.
It's like entering a different world, which maybe gave me a slight idea of what it must have been like during and after those Wars, terrifying sights really.

It is good to see that all the countries where helping out in fighting those wars.
We used to have a British paratrooper at our house every year for the WW2 commemorations. This guy has told me millions of stories about the war, so that brought me closer to it when I was a kid.

Unbelievable how many lost their life fighting for the freedom of others !
Ben Harris
(Група Pro - 22)

Страна:
Англия 
Сертифициран: 
Харесвам това мнение (1)   Не харесвам това мнение (3)
Старо мнение #19 публикувано 13 Ное 2018 г. 16:06:39 Цитат 
Armastice commemarations are political inherently, I mean there is another side of the argument here, in terms of what it means and its implications.

It glorifies war and creates divides and helps reconstruct differences.

Besides WW1/WW2 are far from the only war thats ever happened and the death numbers annually are comparable or even fewer than that of malnutrition, AIDS, malaria or even 'developed' diseases such as CHD.

Anyway thats just me with no sense of patriotrism/nationalism, a death is a tradegy, celebrating some and ignoring others just doesnt sit right for me. Especially when it glorifies war.
Jasper Coosemans1
(Група Pro - 18)

Страна:
Белгия 
Сертифициран: 
Старо мнение #20 публикувано 13 Ное 2018 г. 17:46:31 Цитат 
I don't know what you've been watching or reading but I have seen NOTHING that glorifies war. There is a difference between glorifying war and glorifying the victims of war. It is about honouring those who died trying to protect the values of our free society, which, I'm very sorry, someone dying of AIDS didn't do.

That doesn't mean the victim of AIDS is a less worthy human being. But guess what, we have a 'World AIDS Day' too.
Ben Harris
(Група Pro - 22)

Страна:
Англия 
Сертифициран: 
Старо мнение #21 публикувано 13 Ное 2018 г. 18:00:19 Цитат 
Its an interesting one and Im well aware that Im in the minority here, maybe in 50 years or so, when the effects are less personal general opinions will change.

But I dont think here is the place to have this discussion, because its both a very political issue and I have no desire to upset/annoy those who have been far more directly effected by WW1/2.
Страница [1

Отговори в тази тема