Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Mentor forum > Mentor general chat and ideas Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist
Page [12 3 ... 39 40 41 » Quick go to page:
Author Topic: Mentor general chat and ideas 1215 replies
Keri Lovell
(Group Elite)

Wales 
Certified: 
Like this post (37)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #1 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 16:30:40 (last edited Jul 23rd 2012, 23:41:57 by Keri Lovell) Quote 
Ok, well I have been a thinking and Im pretty sure I have seen the suggestion before a few times but would like to do a trial run between now and the end of the season to see if this works :-)

I have spoken to Vlad and he is happy for me to give it a go and will also provide a list of all new players joining.

The idea is simple. Looking for experienced managers (Im not going to get all silly about time spent in the game, just if you know the basics!) to become a coach to brand new players if they choose to accept one.

My idea is for the first three races of their career that you commit to one manager, and after that its at your discretion. The new players will be aware of this too and that you will be busy mentoring others after that period so you wont be bombarded :-)

Would be fantastic if you we could get as many speakers of different languages as possible, to spread the load.

So one manager, to one new player, first three races and they will have expressed an interest to be coached. After that, you will be allocated a new manager if you like the scheme and want to continue and you can do it as long or as short as you would like, no pressure :-)

Obviously, no exact data and all that jazz, but simple things like helping with forum searches, perhaps help with the basics of fuel and tyres, money and drivers, just to try and help the enjoyment of their game. Basically all the things you had no clue about when you first started!

Id be really interested to hear from anyone who is willing to give this a trial as a coach and also from any new players that would like a coach for a little while as during the trial you can coach anyone that has raced under 17 races, after that it will be specifically for new players. (Again your discretion though as a coach)

This will start around the 28th June so plenty of time to have a think and make suggestions on improvements:-)

Its worth a go no? :-)
Mark Witney
(Group Amateur - 43)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #2 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 16:34:08 Quote 
Sounds good, I'll give it a go if you don't get too many better offers :D
Jonathan MacLean
(Group Amateur - 37)

Scotland 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #3 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 16:42:45 Quote 
I actually would take this a step further and have a specific private internal (as in, in gpro) forum for those who are committed to following such a scheme so that they can broadly discuss what is considered too much information or too vague.

I know the site's capable of holding such forums, so maybe you could discuss that with Vlad?
Max Watson
(Group Amateur - 43)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #4 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 16:48:40 Quote 
Quote ( Jonathan MacLean @ June 23rd 2012,16:42:45 )

I actually would take this a step further and have a specific private internal (as in, in gpro) forum for those who are committed to following such a scheme so that they can broadly discuss what is considered too much information or too vague.

I know the site's capable of holding such forums, so maybe you could discuss that with Vlad?

Aside from this, what Vlad needs to be consulted about is making a public announcement about the scheme. After all, you've got to wonder how many new players read the forums.
Luigi Rossi
(Group Rookie - 79)

Italy 
Certified: 
Old post #5 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 16:52:31 Quote 
how do we sign up to be mentored?? ;) As i nd some help in basic knowledge of GPRO
Mario Põldma
(Group Pro - 3)

Estonia 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #6 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 16:53:49 Quote 
i can help if someone wants me.
hope i dont screw up someones career :D
Keri Lovell
(Group Elite)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #7 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 16:54:05 (last edited Jun 23rd 2012, 16:56:51 by Keri Lovell) Quote 
You just signed up Luigi, first one :-)

List of managers interested in coaching (By forum or PM)

Keri Lovell
Mark Witney
Max Watson
Lee Downing
William Day
Jed Lilly
Jonathan Maclean (I think)
Neil Barron (Commitment issues, its only three races, come on man! :-p)
Mario Põldma
John Lewis

List of managers looking for coach /mentor:

Luigi Rossi
John Lewis
(Group Rookie - 269)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #8 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 16:54:51 Quote 
Quote ( Keri Lovell @ June 23rd 2012,16:51:53 )

Be good to have you on board mate :-)

cheers keri, im in.
Christoph Seifriedsberger
(Group Master - 4)

Austria 
Certified: 
Old post #9 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 16:57:02 Quote 
Great idea Keri and I'm in as well :)
Timothy Chase
(Group Amateur - 27)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #10 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 16:57:48 Quote 
I would be willing to give it a trial run Keri!
Yug Desai3
(Group Rookie - 218)

India 
Certified: 
Old post #11 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 16:57:51 (last edited Jun 23rd 2012, 16:58:50 by Yug Desai) Quote 
Quote ( Max Watson @ June 23rd 2012,16:55:24 )

My condolences, Yug.
lol.
okay then can i be a coach i'd love to try ;) and hopefully i wont screw it up :-)
i think i know a little bit about the game ;)
Keri Lovell
(Group Elite)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #12 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 16:59:22 (last edited Jun 23rd 2012, 17:00:54 by Keri Lovell) Quote 
Tim and Christoph, you are gentleman, thank you :-)

You sure can Yug, thanks...

Keri Lovell
Mark Witney
Max Watson
Lee Downing
William Day
Jed Lilly
Mario Põldma
John Lewis
Timothy Chase
Yug Desai

List of managers looking for coach /mentor:

Luigi Rossi
Steve Partridge
(Group Pro - 10)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #13 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 17:06:47 Quote 
I am willing to be a coach too. Offered my services to the whole group when I was in Rookie a few seasons ago as I had reset and only 1 person took me up on it.
Janne Väänänen
(Group Elite)

Finland 
Certified: 
Old post #14 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 17:07:26 (last edited Jun 23rd 2012, 17:10:20 by Janne Väänänen) Quote 
good idea, interested as well :p

ed - at the start the amount of willing coaches seems overly big, it would need to get the new players' attention somehow.
Torbjørn Kroken
(Group Rookie - 95)

Norway 
Certified: 
Old post #15 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 17:12:50 (last edited Jun 23rd 2012, 17:41:57 by Torbjørn Kroken) Quote 
Great idea, folks. Need a mentor. Starting out crashing into the fence is kind of demotivating and unnecessary waste of time.

High ambitions. Have loads of spreadshhets already. Can project cash-flows. I think. Need tips for max efficiency for each coin spent.
Ravinder Sharma
(Group Rookie - 22)

India 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #16 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 17:14:36 Quote 
i need a mentor,,,plz help
Neil Cole
(Group Pro - 2)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #17 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 17:15:43 Quote 
I'll be happy to help if needed!
Ravinder Sharma
(Group Rookie - 22)

India 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #18 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 17:17:59 Quote 
ya i need
Jun Ho
(Group Amateur - 2)

Hong Kong 
Certified: 
Old post #19 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 17:22:16 Quote 
I want to mentor someone!!
Sean Armstrong
(Group Amateur - 28)

Scotland 
Certified: 
Old post #20 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 17:25:06 Quote 
I've seen this functionality on a few other management games of different genres i've played in the background. They were full mentoring schools where when the leader logged on he could answer questions and there were feedback etc leading to that mentor gaining like premium time etc.

Obviously talking about that now is maybe trying to delve in too deep without just the basics worked out. In all those games I tried it, as a new player to them I found the advice offered as being really beneficial and in fact lead to me stick around on those games for longer than I normally would, with Gpro being the obvious exception keeping me going for quite a long time now without that level of start up help in place.

I've only been in pro once, although hopefully a 2nd time next season so I do not know if I would be able to offer the greatest level of help, but since I've seen how this type of service in place can help, I'll put my name down. Between the 28th you mention and the 13th of July i'll still be a bit busy with handover/cool down of my work notice period but after that I will be having a lot more time.

Still, very good idea Keri - great to see the long term community looking to do what is possible to strengthen the Gpro community and site going forward.
Varun Dua
(Group Amateur - 27)

India 
Certified: 
Old post #21 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 17:26:52 Quote 
Well even I've helped 2 people who are now ruling in their Rookie groups
Also I take help from more experienced people...

Sounds a great idea!!
Lukas Jonaitis
(Group Master - 4)

Lithuania 
Certified: 
Old post #22 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 17:34:05 Quote 
Overall this idea is pretty great as it'll increase the amount of new players to stick to the game drastically, seeing how much of newbies leave the game after spending all their money and ruining their seasons before first race already, but, on the other hand, it shouldn't be made too easy for anyone, as the research and finding something new out every day part is what really makes me love this game.

Personally I always PM and help the lost rookies who post in bug section about how GPRO hates them and how they never win, with all the tips and stuff, but from my experience, it isn't the best idea. 8/10 managers I helped some time before PM's me at least once a month asking for help, which might get annoying in long term, and the other two tenths have already bypassed me in the game.

Anyhow, best of luck with this project :)
Keri Lovell
(Group Elite)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #23 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 17:34:13 Quote 
Quote ( Varun Dua @ June 23rd 2012,17:26:52 )

Sounds a great idea!!

Can I count you in mate? :-)

Quote ( Tom Stamper @ June 23rd 2012,17:29:16 )

I want a mentor :D

If you are serious you do qualify :-)

Quote ( Sean Armstrong @ June 23rd 2012,17:25:06 )

Still, very good idea Keri - great to see the long term community looking to do what is possible to strengthen the Gpro community and site going forward.

Thank you mate, your help would be most welcome, I'll put you on the list now but Im aware you need a bit of time

Keri Lovell
Mark Witney
Max Watson
Lee Downing
William Day
Jed Lilly
Mario Põldma
John Lewis
Timothy Chase
Yug Desai
Steve Partridge
Janne Väänänen
Steven Tindle
Neil Cole
Varun Dua
Sean Armstrong
Jun Ho

List of managers looking for coach /mentor

Luigi Rossi
Torbjørn Kroken
Ravinder Sharma
Tom Stamper
Simon Forth
(Group Rookie - 17)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #24 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 17:43:13 Quote 
Im more than happy to mentor a new player 3 seasons in pro and currently top of my Rookie group
Florencia Caro
(Group Amateur - 31)

GPRO Crew
Argentina 
Certified: 
Like this post (3)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #25 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 17:50:28 Quote 
I love the idea Keri, and I would love to help in any way I can :)

I know the idea is not fully organized yet, but still, I wanted to make a suggestion.

As GPRO general forum official language is English, many managers can be left out of the program cause their mother tongue is not English or cause they don't speak English as a second Language. I think that can be solved if the Coaching/Mentoring forum is given its own category inside the forum structure and we are allowed to open a Coaching/Mentoring thread in each language GPRO is offered to the community (German, Spanish, etc.)

When a manager joins the program, he/she can ask or give help in the language of his/her choice. Adding the languages spoken at each managers profile's is not a bad idea either, and may be a big help when organizing who can help who :)
Jimmy De Roy
(Group Amateur - 45)

Belgium 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #26 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 17:51:45 Quote 
Just some thought wouldn't it be wise to give people asking for help a mentor from the same continent or timezone? as i can understand that for a european it won't be easy to help an american or vice versa given the fact that they won't be online at same moments.
Janne Väänänen
(Group Elite)

Finland 
Certified: 
Old post #27 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 17:56:59 Quote 
In fact, if and when this turns out working program it should be included into the main site so that everybody who for the very first time opens the game gets a pop up asking 'do you want a tutor?' and then the coach group could pick up willing players from there.

Even if this thread by some miracle is noticed by the newbs, they relatively often might be 'afraid' to join something like this if it's on public forum, ingame request would be much more 'attractive' of a way to join the system I would say.
Tim Sewell
(Group Pro - 9)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #28 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 17:58:20 Quote 
Count me in Keri.

I am especially good at team applications, (that one is for the VPR boys). ;)
Sasa Todorovich
(Group Amateur - 50)

Bosnia-Herzegovina 
Certified: 
Old post #29 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 17:58:32 Quote 
Count me in, I'll be happy to help someone :)
Marcus Probert
(Group Amateur - 40)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #30 posted Jun 23rd 2012, 18:05:53 Quote 
Great idea! Count me in :)
Page [12 3 ... 39 40 41 » Quick go to page:
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Mentor forum > Mentor general chat and ideas Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist

Reply to this topic