Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Forum games > GPROvision LIII - Re:2022 Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist
Page « 1 2 3 4 5 [6 Quick go to page:
Author Topic: GPROvision LIII - Re:2022 165 replies
Chris Adnams
(Group Amateur - 6)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #151 posted Jan 24th 2023, 02:32:13 Quote 
Congrats Sam, great song and well deserved. I've noticed over time that out of everyone who regularly participates in this, you're the one who seems to align the most with my tastes. And to that end, thanks for my 10 points. ;)
Jonathan Beagles
(Group Pro - 15)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #152 posted Jan 24th 2023, 03:02:42 Quote 
Bit gutted with that ending lol - wasn't even watching Sam's song in the order, though I said to myself at the last "I bet this 12 points f*cks me" and I was right :/

Nevertheless grats Sam - strong contender mate :)
Ania Piekarska
(Group Pro - 8)

Poland 
Certified: 
Old post #153 posted Jan 24th 2023, 10:31:19 Quote 
This will be surprising but... you all have great taste in music! There were at least 12 songs that I was happy to see winning, and 8 of them made it to the top 10. I really enjoyed a lot of songs in this edition :)

Curious what being eliminated unbiased does to people :D
Kirsty Ridley
(Group Amateur - 13)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #154 posted Jan 24th 2023, 10:37:08 Quote 
Grats Sam!

Great songs in there, thanks Mikko x
Bert Meeus
(Group Pro - 11)

Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #155 posted Jan 24th 2023, 10:44:39 Quote 
Congratz Sam! Only 1 song I voted for ended up in the top7, clearly my musical taste in 2022 was different from the mainstream! :-P

Thanks for organizing Mikko and thanks to all who voted for my songs!
Sonny Long
(Group Rookie - 143)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #156 posted Jan 24th 2023, 10:51:30 Quote 
P17 with 45 points is a solid outcome for my 1st gprovision final - congrats Sam for the win!
Sonny Long
(Group Rookie - 143)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #157 posted Jan 24th 2023, 10:52:19 Quote 
Quote ( Ania Piekarska @ January 24th 2023,10:31:19 )

This will be surprising but... you all have great taste in music! There were at least 12 songs that I was happy to see winning, and 8 of them made it to the top 10. I really enjoyed a lot of songs in this edition :)

Curious what being eliminated unbiased does to people :D
ty Ania!
Marvin Mackenberg
(Group Pro - 22)

Germany 
Certified: 
Old post #158 posted Jan 24th 2023, 14:05:20 Quote 
Quote ( Calum MacKinnon @ January 23rd 2023,22:22:49 )

Great choice Marvin, I knew that one was getting 12 from me as soon as I saw it in the semi-final groups (assuming it made it through anyway, which I wasn't sure of)

I think we gave each other the maximum points possible again (apart from bonus points in the semis)

When I saw the semi finals I was already 99% sure about both of your songs and that you would get the 12 points from me if one of your songs went to the final
Cameron Halsall
(Group Amateur - 9)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #159 posted Jan 24th 2023, 18:40:45 Quote 
Kinda hoped my song would do better given how well it did at Eurovision last year, best entry we've sent since Katrina. I liked it but hoped it appealed more to a general audience. Yet again the song I prefer more didn't make it through. Might just have to send whatever Rhianna releases for next year I guess... But seriously guys go check out PPC if you haven't already, might be one of the greatest bands of our time and hardly anyone has heard of them. Thanks to all the people that voted for me in this edition.

So I guess I should go through my review of the songs I voted for:

Shinedown (Planet Zero) - Did I really just give Ivelin's song maximum points? I suppose I did. Either my tastes are changing or there were other songs I really didn't want to win. I think it's well written, interesting lyrics and good melodically. Having said that America Burning was just as good if not better despite not making it through.

Skid Row (Time Bomb) - I thought I'd heard of them when I first read this but I didn't realise they were still going nearly 40 years on. That's what I like to see from a band. This song so very reminds me of another song by The Hives and maybe that's why I put this as second favourite. Cannot for the life of me understand why it performed so poorly, it has great vocals and a great riff. Otherwise very reminiscent of Motley Crue, well produced song. Maybe things blowing up isn't to people's fancy these days.

Sylvaine (Everything Must Come To An End) - The reason this was so high up on my list was simple, amazing guitar tone. and great playing I think the composition could have possibly been more complex, but otherwise a good listen.

Pale Waves (Jealousy) - I think this is a good song and the riff is catchy but not superior enough to get more points. Not much going on in the mix so not particularly satisfying. Also I think this dynamic isn't that original. Otherwise a decent song, and I prefer it winning over a good number of songs that qualified.

Odesza feat. Bettye LaVette (The Last Goodbye) - Nice to see some EDM for a change, a genre I'd considered sending from before but didn't know whether to chance it. I think this song is pretty decent, although I would expect more progression and creativity. Goes to show what you can do with good production values.

Pulley (Lonely) - Another good song but I felt it failed to stand out among some others. I liked it.

Rammstein (Zeit) - Another Rammstein song in an end of year edition, another chance to brush up on my German. Again really surprised that Keith sent this. It was pretty good, I think perhaps not as good as some of their other songs, but as always the music video was a good watch.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers (Eddie) - I've never really been into RHCP, maybe it's because in my childhood the Manics filled that cultural space for me, but an interesting return to their roots in tone. I think it's decent, just maybe doesn't stand out as much as the others.

Faun & Eluveite (Gwydion) - Obvious Celtic influences from the title, a decent track, maybe just not as interesting as some of the others on here.

Mikko Suhonen
(Group Master - 3)

Topic mod
Finland 
Certified: 
Old post #160 posted Jan 24th 2023, 23:35:47 Quote 
Thanks for playing all! Semi final points and results I still need to reveal for you all to see.

Quote ( Cameron Halsall @ January 24th 2023,18:40:45 )

Pulley (Lonely) - Another good song but I felt it failed to stand out among some others. I liked it.

Excellent to hear you (and a few others) liked it! ;) Pulley made their first album last year which was my favourite of the whole year, and that was their first in 6 years and only their second in 18 years. And man what a barn-burner that was, the melody and chord progression in Lonely is just simply majestic! I've been waiting to submit the band for like 8-10 years as it has been in my top5 bands but thought I'd save them for some extremely great moment. And what better than a new song with Tony Hawk music video lol.

I didn't feel there was any song I couldn't have voted in the final, well maybe this slightly duller Rammstein song this time. Besides it, also surprised that JHCP didn't finish higher and especially Cameron's Space Man.

Best music video of this edition might go to Chris this time! The sTraNgeRs video gave me nausea :D But I'd still give credit where it's due, couldn't stop watching it! Both Marvin's videos were also interesting.

Quote ( Sam Wrycraft @ January 23rd 2023,22:51:23 )

Thanks Chris, Katerina and Ivelin for your 12's and thanks to Mikko for hosting and giving 12 to Hold the Girl.

I am astounded that Hold The Girl was second to last in the final :D This year the 12-pointer was much easier to select from the finalists although credit to Ivelin and a instant hit with Planet Zero! However the twelver was so reserved to Rina Sawayama, despite I had never heard from the girl before nor anything regarding her singing. That singing gave me shivers :D Thanks Sam, this goes to my playlist! I must go watch the new John Wick movie now lol.

Congrats on your win too - despite I didn't just about feel giving it any points ha. I'd call that also a surprising rise from the 2nd place in Group B semi final!

And speaking of such - I'll post the semi final points scorings tomorrow night once I get the tables ready!
Tim Wagner
(Group Amateur - 17)

Germany 
Certified: 
Old post #161 posted Jan 25th 2023, 19:27:55 Quote 
Congratulations Sam!

There were many great songs that I liked. 16 of the 24 songs I put in the Top 3 in the semis got into the final and ultimately ranking them turned out to be real headscratcher.

My 12 points actually got ranked 2nd in it's semi final group, but 1st didn't make it. I personally felt that Group E was the strongest by far but maybe those were just my most favourite songs.

Quote ( Vladimir Valis @ January 23rd 2023,22:36:13 )

Wow, I absolutely didn't expect to finish 25 points behind Tim.

I'll probably break your heart a little, but We are fucking fucked was the best and only acceptable song in that album. Everything else was meh at best, which is why I have you still scoring fairly low

Quote ( Mikko Suhonen @ January 23rd 2023,22:40:42 )

Is because if you look at what are the standings with just Chris and Ivelin left to vote (after 20/22 voters):

That was the moment I realised Ivelin still hadn't voted yet and I'm not going to get anything from him :(

Quote ( Ivelin Dobrev @ January 23rd 2023,23:34:06 )

Very happy with 3rd and I could have won with a few small points here and there, but I guess it was love it or hate it for Planet Zero.

I hated Planet Zero and never rated it. But America Burning was nice. That one got my full 4 semi final points.
Mikko Suhonen
(Group Master - 3)

Topic mod
Finland 
Certified: 
Old post #162 posted Jan 25th 2023, 22:15:21 (last edited Jan 25th 2023, 22:16:39 by Mikko Suhonen) Quote 
So let's see how did the semi final points actually scatter and who went through by what margin?

The songs in green-ish background went through to the final, and the points that are marked in dark blue-ish background colour include one extra point that we were giving in the semi finals. And it should hopefully be clear which initials mean which player.

Also a link for the pic if you don't have a zoom-in possibility: https://i.imgur.com/RdapIhy.jpg

So yeah, Cameron's Space Man really won the Group B but faded in the final. Whereas Pale Waves rose from the 2nd place in group, perhaps another listen on them helped Sam's cause.

Most semi points was gathered by a) Jon's Cage and it did do well in the final indeed - as well as b) Jun's Eddie but that somehow faded too a bit in the end.

Very interesting to see that semi final success doesn't seem to grant success in the final: 5 of the 8 group winners finished 12th or lower. Only Jon in 2nd Seb in 5th and Calum in 7th could rise higher.

Whereas We Are Fucking Fucked was the best of the 3rd place "just-scraped-through" songs. It even beat the two that won it in semi finals so not fucking fucked at all!

So close dropouts for Sebastian and Jon in Group A, Tim in Group E and Rumen in Group H. It wasn't quite the level of tightness as last year when there was a 4-way tie in points in one group, but Group A wasn't far from that! Or even a 5way tie. Group H was also switching from one way to other throughout the semi voting.

Now everyone can imagine how flipping their point/s might have turned some of the tables :p
Cameron Halsall
(Group Amateur - 9)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #163 posted Jan 25th 2023, 23:16:16 Quote 
So what you're saying is I could have won easily if people hadn't voted for good songs in the Semi Final
Jonathan Beagles
(Group Pro - 15)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #164 posted Feb 3rd 2023, 11:44:07 Quote 
At the top of the Hall of Fame, @Sam Wrycraft (A51) now moves up to 3rd overall with Jon Beagles up to 4th, both moving ahead of @Daryl Gee (P7)...indeed Sam is only behind @Jun Ho (P14) in 2nd place by virtue of less 3rd placed finishes!

In terms of all-time appearances, @Cameron Halsall (A9) is now up to 8th on his own at the expense of, you guessed it, Daryl Gee! Sam Wrycraft is now into the Top 10 for the Most Appearances ever, while @Calum MacKinnon (P6) moves up to 13th and @Keith Partridge (A51) up to joint 14th in that same list.

In Most Appearances without a Win we see @Skyler Marsons (R41) join that particular list, while @Sebastian Jóźwiak (A54) and @Ricardo Antunes (P2) continue their respective climbs up the order.

For Most Podiums overall, Jon Beagles moves up to 2nd place ahead of Jun with only Ivelin ahead of him now! Sam Wrycraft is up to 5th overall for that particular statistic. Jon is also up to joint 3rd for the Most 2nd placed finishes ever, while @Ivelin Dobrev (R140) is into the Top 10 for the Most 3rd placed finishes ever.

Jon is also now ahead of Jun for Most Top 5 Finishes ever, with Sam Wrycraft into the joint Top 5 for that particular stat also. @Sebastian Jóźwiak (A54) is into the Top 20 for that list, along with now being in the Top 10 for the Most 5th Placed Finishes too.

And one final stat where Jon moves ahead of Jun ( :D ) is for Most Top 10 finishes ever, as he takes his place on the Podium there. Sam is up to 5th in that particular stat, while Calum and @Ania Piekarska (P8) move up within the Top 10 there. Meanwhile Calum MacKinnon loves a 7th placed finish, achieving his 4th ranking in that particular spot (which is the 2nd most of all time!)
Jun Ho
(Group Pro - 14)

Hong Kong 
Certified: 
Old post #165 posted Feb 3rd 2023, 12:05:36 Quote 
JOOOOOOOON :(
Jonathan Beagles
(Group Pro - 15)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #166 posted Feb 3rd 2023, 12:26:30 Quote 
Almost forgot to post that the full stat document is here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zbzvuC4QL74ItBNOYL2E...

Quote ( Jun Ho @ February 3rd 2023,12:05:36 )

JOOOOOOOON :(

Btw if I win the next one I go ahead of you in the Hall of Fame also :P
Page « 1 2 3 4 5 [6 Quick go to page:
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Forum games > GPROvision LIII - Re:2022 Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist

Reply to this topic