Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > General forum > A general GPRO team discussion thread Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist
Page [12 3 ... 1017 1018 1019 » Quick go to page:
Author Topic: A general GPRO team discussion thread 30567 replies
Mark Webster
(Group Master - 4)

Scotland 
Certified: 
Like this post (10)   Dislike this post (8)
Old post #1 posted Apr 17th 2010, 20:23:33 Quote 
Just a general thread for discussing things related to GPRO teams, things like discussing why managers have chosen to move across teams, and your general opinion on certain teams.

What this thread should not be used for is:

- (Unfounded) Speculation of who is moving teams.
- Team Recruitment.
- A place to brag about your own team or a place to be disrespectful to other teams.
- Spamming, this is a thread with serious intentions

I'm going to start by discussing the recent move of Carlos Villacastin from Fastline to Tigers. For me, there have always been 5 teams I've looked up to since about the end of S11, when I started paying a bit more attention to it. Those 5 teams are Tigers, Whiskey & Cigars, Maximum Overdrive, Martini and Fastline. I always saw them as the premier tier back then and it's what I aspired to in the early part of Jaguar.

Fastline are a team who have finished in the Top 10 of the Team Standing for the last 11 seasons consecutively, with 5 current Elite managers as well as long-time leader and ex-champion Gatis Laugalis. But a question I am currently asking myself is; "Are Fastline still part of that Premier tier of teams in GPRO?"

Aside from that fact before about the top 10, they haven't actually challenged for a title since S14, co-inciding with the departure of Edijs Putnins and Joan Centellas and the unfortunate tragedy of Mindaugas Zaremba (forever in our memories). I look at the replacements for those 3 highly successful, long-term managers and I didn't see the same quality coming in. Carlos V joined Fastline as a manager with huge potential, but only 16 races undertaken outside of Rookie. Carlos A has since left and Tomasz hadn't raced 100 races before his appointment, and although was showing great progress and is looking to be a great recruit, there was no like-for-like replacements there.

It has become evident that Tigers and Martini have taken that further step and are vying for the 2 most successful teams in the game now, but, are Fastline particularly, Maximum Overdrive and W&C still in touch with these 2? I think they still are, just. It does pain me a little to say that because there are many managers in those 3 teams I respect heavily and like as people too. I hope they will understand...

A second question I am asking myself is, "Will Carlos experience the same situation at Tigers as he has at Fastline". Carlos is joining Tigers after the departure of team founder Heidi Aareskoski, and with the recent debates over the experience bug, who knows if any others will follow? One certainly will, and I'm 95% sure it will be Nenad, due to his retiring status. But Jari has threatened of retirement before, as has Laila amongst others, and so is this the end of the age of Tigers and will lightning strike twice to Carlos? I hope for him that that is not the case.

Please feel free to comment, and add your own "articles", or discussion if you feel like it.
Jun Ho
(Group Rookie - 136)

Hong Kong 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #2 posted Apr 17th 2010, 20:24:40 Quote 
I haven't been on for 2 weeks, and Tigers were looking for a manager? RAWR XD
Chinmay Dhopate
(Group Master - 1)

India 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #3 posted Apr 17th 2010, 20:49:20 Quote 
Quote ( Mark Webster @ April 17th 2010,20:23:33 )

- Team Recruitment.
- A place to brag about your own team or a place to be disrespectful to other teams.
- Spamming, this is a thread with serious intentions

So, basically this thread is to be used as a "GPRO Team Gossip" thread?!
Finn Shaw-McIver
(Group Rookie - 34)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #4 posted Apr 17th 2010, 20:50:37 Quote 

who knows if any others will follow? One certainly will, and I'm 95% sure it will be Nenad, due to his retiring status. But Jari has threatened of retirement before, as has Laila amongst others, and so is this the end of the age of Tigers and will lightning strike twice to Carlos?

How can you break your own rules?
Louis Francis
(Group Rookie - 184)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #5 posted Apr 17th 2010, 20:52:52 Quote 
Its not unfounded Finn. There is good reason for Webster's comments :)
Mark Webster
(Group Master - 4)

Scotland 
Certified: 
Old post #6 posted Apr 17th 2010, 20:53:17 Quote 
How is it unfounded Finn? I've said that Nenad is retiring, and not only that, look at his wife's (?) profile:

/ManagerProfile.asp?IDM=75590

She's retiring too. It is not unfounded.

Quote ( Chinmay Dhopate @ April 17th 2010,20:49:20 )

So, basically this thread is to be used as a "GPRO Team Gossip" thread?!

No, not at all. In-jokes are not allowed here!

It's a discussion thread, points are made and counter-points are discussed.
Michał Kubski
(Group Amateur - 50)

Poland 
Certified: 
Old post #7 posted Apr 17th 2010, 20:55:08 Quote 
Laila wrote that Nenad is leaving in the first post of Tiger Recruiting thread so I guess you can add that 5%
Ramón Lopez
(Group Amateur - 25)

Spain 
Certified: 
Old post #8 posted Apr 17th 2010, 20:56:25 (last edited Apr 17th 2010, 20:56:50 by Ramón López) Quote 

"Are Fastline still part of that Premier tier of teams in GPRO?"

Could be; Fastline is onle of the best teams, But nowadays Tiger racing is the best team!!!They have the best information about the game so you must say that Tiger racing is the only Team that It's in the premier tier.
Tomas Cervinskij
(Group Master - 1)

Lithuania 
Certified: 
Old post #9 posted Apr 17th 2010, 21:02:41 Quote 
Quote ( Ramón Lopez @ April 17th 2010,20:56:25 )

But nowadays Tiger racing is the best team!!!They have the best information about the game so you must say that Tiger racing is the only Team that It's in the premier tier.

How can you be so sure that they have the best info about the game?
Ramón Lopez
(Group Amateur - 25)

Spain 
Certified: 
Old post #10 posted Apr 17th 2010, 21:06:55 Quote 
Quote ( Tomas Cervinskij @ April 17th 2010,21:02:41 )

How can you be so sure that they have the best info about the game?

Look at Team Standings!

If they weren't the best info, they would not have 4 trophies and They Wouldn't have so many advantage with the second team in Team Standings!!
Chinmay Dhopate
(Group Master - 1)

India 
Certified: 
Old post #11 posted Apr 17th 2010, 21:12:02 Quote 

A second question I am asking myself is, "Will Carlos experience the same situation at Tigers as he has at Fastline". Carlos is joining Tigers after the departure of team founder Heidi Aareskoski, and with the recent debates over the experience bug, who knows if any others will follow? One certainly will, and I'm 95% sure it will be Nenad, due to his retiring status. But Jari has threatened of retirement before, as has Laila amongst others, and so is this the end of the age of Tigers and will lightning strike twice to Carlos? I hope for him that that is not the case.

I think it's unfair to comment about someone on a thread in public without his consent.

Actually the whole thread asks questions closely related to active players... the whole thing looks like a TV show like "Showbiz" or "eBuzz" or something like that... I think you are opening a huge can of worms. Reckon Mods' inboxes will be flooded with PMs complaining about this thread from people this thread is about.
Laila Britāle
(Group Elite)

Latvia 
Certified: 
Old post #12 posted Apr 17th 2010, 21:14:39 Quote 
Season 11 you say.. I am not sure our team existed at that point.
Finn Shaw-McIver
(Group Rookie - 34)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #13 posted Apr 17th 2010, 21:14:43 Quote 
Quote ( Ramón Lopez @ April 17th 2010,20:56:25 )

But nowadays Tiger racing is the best team!!

In peformance maybe...
Tomas Cervinskij
(Group Master - 1)

Lithuania 
Certified: 
Old post #14 posted Apr 17th 2010, 21:16:07 Quote 
Quote ( Ramón Lopez @ April 17th 2010,21:06:55 )

Look at Team Standings!

If they weren't the best info, they would not have 4 trophies and They Wouldn't have so many advantage with the second team in Team Standings!!

Thats very good management by all the team members, but not nescessary the best info about the game...
Mark Webster
(Group Master - 4)

Scotland 
Certified: 
Old post #15 posted Apr 17th 2010, 21:18:28 Quote 
Quote ( Laila Britāle @ April 17th 2010,21:14:39 )

Season 11 you say.. I am not sure our team existed at that point.

End of S11, it was actually the formation of Tigers that got me interested in this subject. :)
Finn Shaw-McIver
(Group Rookie - 34)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #16 posted Apr 17th 2010, 21:18:39 Quote 
Tomas is right. Take Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher for instance, Schumacher has more titles than Senna, but Senna was killed, and Michael is a cheat.

So effectively, all the other teams have been killed, and Tiger Racing drives people off the track...
Mark Webster
(Group Master - 4)

Scotland 
Certified: 
Old post #17 posted Apr 17th 2010, 21:21:35 Quote 
Quote ( Chinmay Dhopate @ April 17th 2010,21:12:02 )

I think it's unfair to comment about someone on a thread in public without his consent.

Actually the whole thread asks questions closely related to active players... the whole thing looks like a TV show like "Showbiz" or "eBuzz" or something like that... I think you are opening a huge can of worms. Reckon Mods' inboxes will be flooded with PMs complaining about this thread from people this thread is about.

It definitely needs to be careful, that's why I put that 3rd guideline above. I don't think I've offended anyone in my post, and I tried to avoid it, and I haven't "made up" anything, everything is founded.
Nigel Davis
(Group Amateur - 29)

GPRO Crew
England 
Certified: 
Old post #18 posted Apr 17th 2010, 21:39:26 Quote 
Quote ( Mark Webster @ April 17th 2010,21:21:35 )

everything is founded.

is it though, alot seems speculative to me, and founded maybe but on gut instinct and heresy. ;)

just food for thought.
Chinmay Dhopate
(Group Master - 1)

India 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #19 posted Apr 17th 2010, 21:45:40 Quote 
Quote ( Nigel Davis @ April 17th 2010,21:39:26 )

gut instinct and heresy

Hearsay!

heresy is something completely different... unless I am mistaken and you really are accusing Mark of rejecting the teachings of the Church of GPRO
Laila Britāle
(Group Elite)

Latvia 
Certified: 
Old post #20 posted Apr 17th 2010, 21:47:45 Quote 
"Schumaher is cheat" ... Excelent comment from Button fan..lol
Jonathan Beagles
(Group Pro - 3)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #21 posted Apr 17th 2010, 22:09:09 Quote 
Martini Racing...I see they are recruiting again, I wonder which TZT/Versant member they will take this time... ;)
Neil Mcewan
(Group Amateur - 3)

Scotland 
Certified: 
Old post #22 posted Apr 17th 2010, 22:22:44 Quote 
Carlos is a great manager i spent a few seasons with him when he was part of the vpr family, dosent surprise me tyhat hes with the tigers now.
Nigel Davis
(Group Amateur - 29)

GPRO Crew
England 
Certified: 
Old post #23 posted Apr 17th 2010, 22:22:52 Quote 
Quote ( Chinmay Dhopate @ April 17th 2010,21:45:40 )

Hearsay!

whoops!! heheh sorry about that, but then maybe thats more accurate!
Finn Shaw-McIver
(Group Rookie - 34)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #24 posted Apr 17th 2010, 22:35:55 Quote 
Quote ( Laila Britāle @ April 17th 2010,21:47:45 )

"Schumaher is cheat" ... Excelent comment from Button fan..lol

Sarcasm?
If so, I don't recall Button cheating, and I do recall Schumacher doing so. :)

Quote ( Jonathan Beagles @ April 17th 2010,22:09:09 )

Martini Racing...I see they are recruiting again, I wonder which TZT/Versant member they will take this time... ;)

I know two of their applicants, who both stand a goos chance. I wont reveal who though. :P

I know a lot more, but can't remember who they are. I was stalking Tomasz as he was looking through the applicants.
Hauke Johannsen
(Group Master - 1)

Germany 
Certified: 
Old post #25 posted Apr 17th 2010, 23:02:27 (last edited Apr 17th 2010, 23:04:37 by Hauke Johannsen) Quote 
Quote ( Chinmay Dhopate @ April 17th 2010,21:12:02 )

Thanks Chinmay !!!

Quote ( Mark Webster @ April 17th 2010,21:21:35 )

... everything is founded.

Lol, did you ever heared about different strategies, Mark ?
I really have to say, I´m a little disappointed about your statements here, but it´s your opinion and I´ll respect it ;)
Andrew Watson
(Group Pro - 7)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #26 posted Apr 17th 2010, 23:09:54 (last edited Apr 17th 2010, 23:10:51 by Andrew Watson) Quote 
A good topic this, Mark.

For what it's worth, I tend to think of the teams in GPRO split into a few tiers;

Tier 1; Teams who you can legitamately think of as part of the regular top-10. Usually contain multiple Elite managers. This would be the "big 5" teams you mentioned plus, arguably, one or two others (Next Monday, for example). No more than about 7 or 8 teams.

Tier 2; those teams who are in and out of the top 10, or very close to getting there. Usually contain one or two Elite managers, or multiple Masters. I would put the Phantom teams in this bracket, as well as Elit1st, S.E.X. Drivers, CRASH, The Special One, Jaguars. Probably around 20 teams could be classed as 2nd tier, in my book.

Tier 3; Regular, or current, top-50 teams. Those pushing for, or from time-to-time achieving, top-20. A wide bracket, for teams with perhaps one or two Masters, or a few Pro managers. Examples; Undercover of V, the Supernova teams, Predators, etc

Tier 4; Teams pushing toward the top-50, or those teams who make appearences in and out of it. Often teams with no managers above Pro, sometimes none above Amateur. Teams you would tend to consider as top-100, generally. Examples; Royal Flash, Gentleman's Club, Speed Devils, Versant, and (my own team) Gulf Porsche.

Tier 5; Active teams generally finishing outside the top 100. Sometimes teams with little knowledge, or little activity. Otherwise, sometimes good teams having a bad season or two, or new teams starting to grow. Loads of examples available.

As mentioned, my team is (I would consider) currently a Tier4 team, but we are moving upwards, and I would hope to be firmly established as Tier 3 in the next couple of seasons, then hopefully into the 2nd tier within a further ~3 seasons.
Finn Shaw-McIver
(Group Rookie - 34)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #27 posted Apr 17th 2010, 23:14:49 Quote 
Quote ( Andrew Watson @ April 17th 2010,23:09:54 )

Tier 4; Teams pushing toward the top-50, or those teams who make appearences in and out of it. Often teams with no managers above Pro, sometimes none above Amateur. Teams you would tend to consider as top-100, generally. Examples; Royal Flash, Gentleman's Club, Speed Devils, Versant, and (my own team) Gulf Porsche.

I would put us in there then... But in the bit with no managers above amateur. :)
Andrew Watson
(Group Pro - 7)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #28 posted Apr 17th 2010, 23:17:15 Quote 
Quote ( Finn Shaw-McIver @ April 17th 2010,23:14:49 )

I would put us in there then... But in the bit with no managers above amateur. :)

Agreed. No history of top-100, but almost certain to be for this season (possibly top-50), and an up-and-coming team.
Jonathan Beagles
(Group Pro - 3)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #29 posted Apr 17th 2010, 23:23:41 Quote 
Quote ( Finn Shaw-McIver @ April 17th 2010,22:35:55 )

I know two of their applicants, who both stand a goos chance. I wont reveal who though. :P

WE ARE NOT A MARTINI FEEDER TEAM.

I made my team repeat this in our team forum as a reminder ;)

Quote ( Andrew Watson @ April 17th 2010,23:09:54 )

Tier 3; Regular, or current, top-50 teams. Those pushing for, or from time-to-time achieving, top-20. A wide bracket, for teams with perhaps one or two Masters, or a few Pro managers. Examples; Undercover of V, the Supernova teams, Predators, etc

That is Versant for sure...though considering how strong the team as a whole are we should be moving up soon.
Michał Kubski
(Group Amateur - 50)

Poland 
Certified: 
Old post #30 posted Apr 17th 2010, 23:24:10 (last edited Apr 17th 2010, 23:25:21 by Michał Kubski) Quote 
In some teams' it really is the case of "this is the season" when most members happen to push for high positions that particular season. My "parent" team is a good example:

/TeamProfile.asp?TeamId=514

S17 - 37th
S18 - 22nd

but now they are almost below us :)

Which performance is true? I don't know, probably somewhere in the middle, it's not like they forgot how to play :)
Page [12 3 ... 1017 1018 1019 » Quick go to page:
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > General forum > A general GPRO team discussion thread Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist

Reply to this topic