Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Other sports forum > UEFA Champions League (ALL SEASONS) Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist
Page « 1 2 3 ... 63 [6465 ... 230 231 232 » Quick go to page:
Author Topic: UEFA Champions League (ALL SEASONS) 6948 replies
Mark Webster
(Group Elite)

Scotland 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #1889 posted May 20th 2012, 00:04:33 Quote 
Quote ( Mark Wright @ May 20th 2012,00:02:32 )

You obviously haven't watched football for the last 10 years or so!

I have! That's why I'm so angry!

Quote ( Janne Väänänen @ May 20th 2012,00:02:35 )

you're wrong. If you have beaten your opposition by more than 1 goal then you've worked too much. =))

ftr, I also like the barca/bayerntonight way to play football and it's exactly as valid as chelski way to do it. Football isn't just about attacking.

As a spectator it is! =P

Teams should get a bonus point for scoring more than 3 in a game IMO. =]
Michael Winkley
(Group Master - 4)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #1890 posted May 20th 2012, 00:04:50 (last edited May 20th 2012, 00:05:05 by Michael Winkley) Quote 
Quote ( Chinmay Dhopate @ May 20th 2012,00:01:43 )

In essence, tonight's final we saw one team who couldn't get ball for most of the game and couldn't park the bus properly and another team who couldn't hit a shot on target in anger.

That is what happens when you have an AK47 in fully automatic mode; all that you do is make an entire crowd duck for cover.
Robert Mclaren
(Group Amateur - 22)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #1891 posted May 20th 2012, 00:07:20 Quote 
yeah happy for Ermin tonight GPROs biggest Chelsea fan.
Mark Wright
(Group Amateur - 52)

Scotland 
Certified: 
Old post #1892 posted May 20th 2012, 00:09:18 Quote 
Quote ( Mark Webster @ May 20th 2012,00:04:33 )

I have! That's why I'm so angry!

The Scottish national team have been trying it for the last 8 years!
Michael Winkley
(Group Master - 4)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #1893 posted May 20th 2012, 00:10:53 Quote 
Quote ( Mark Wright @ May 20th 2012,00:09:18 )

The Scottish national team have been trying it for the last 8 years!

Someone stole the wheels off the bus whilst it was still parked in the car park though, so not hard to understand where they have been going wrong. ;p
Christopher Adams
(Group Pro - 8)

United States 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (3)
Old post #1894 posted May 20th 2012, 00:11:06 Quote 
Buyem Muchin was the dominate team and squandered a LOT of opportunities. Chelsea held on by the narrowest of margins. Although Schweinstupid got what he deserved for stopping during his run up, ref should have called the foul and DQ'd him.
Vlado Rosić-Milinković
(Group Amateur - 5)

Bosnia-Herzegovina 
Certified: 
Old post #1895 posted May 20th 2012, 00:12:30 Quote 
All those complaining and saying this football is a disgrace should be more considerate. Just imagine an army od 20,000 people versus a 100,000. On open field they wouldn't stand a chance, ignoring formations or any kind of strategy. But in a cliff, castle or a fortress odds would be different, again numbers advantage, in footballs case skill, home pitch, motivation, player base,etc - can be crucial but not deciding, but strategy and some luck will most likely determine the outcome.

That's how I saw this final, and I'm glad they finally won something only because Lion left his heart(again) on the pitch, they should honor him with special award, imo. :)
Steven Tindle
(Group Rookie - 246)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #1896 posted May 20th 2012, 00:12:43 Quote 
Quote ( Christopher Adams @ May 20th 2012,00:11:06 )

Although Schweinstupid got what he deserved for stopping during his run up, ref should have called the foul and DQ'd him.

Shows how much some American's know about football. We don't have Disqualifications and any player is more than entitled to take as short or long run up as they want including stuttering their run up.
Mark Wright
(Group Amateur - 52)

Scotland 
Certified: 
Old post #1897 posted May 20th 2012, 00:15:08 Quote 
Quote ( Michael Winkley @ May 20th 2012,00:10:53 )

Someone stole the wheels off the bus whilst it was still parked in the car park though, so not hard to understand where they have been going wrong. ;p

Correct but when it's your own supporters stealing the wheels.....
Steven Tindle
(Group Rookie - 246)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #1898 posted May 20th 2012, 00:16:02 Quote 
Quote ( Mark Wright @ May 20th 2012,00:15:08 )

Correct but when it's your own supporters stealing the wheels.....

This isn't the Liverpool team bus ;)
Mindaugas Bauža
(Group Pro - 10)

Lithuania 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #1899 posted May 20th 2012, 00:17:24 Quote 
ole ole oleeeee. After the MU left UFEA Chealse was my favorite! The God is real! I believe it after Cech save penalty in OT and when Bayern miss last 2 shots. All in all Bayerns was stronger nobody can deny it, but Chealse man was smarter!
Michael Winkley
(Group Master - 4)

Wales 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (3)
Old post #1900 posted May 20th 2012, 00:46:58 Quote 
Quote ( Mindaugas Bauža @ May 20th 2012,00:17:24 )

The God is real

Isn't "God" supposed to be impartial?
*facepalm.
Michael Monaco
(Group Pro - 6)

Italy 
Certified: 
Like this post (5)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #1901 posted May 20th 2012, 00:50:43 Quote 
Quote ( Mark Webster @ May 19th 2012,23:59:02 )

Actually no. I believe that showing no desire to attack is a sign of cowardice and is a disrespect to the game itself. Football is about scoring goals. My opinion, and that is why I do not respect what Chelsea have done.

I think you should go watch basketball instead.

Quote ( Chinmay Dhopate @ May 20th 2012,00:01:43 )

Chesea won because Bayern's finishing was abysmal.

Ppl keep saying this, and in my opinion it is ludicrous. Bayern and Barca are 2 of the very best attacking teams. They score a lot because they are able to create a ton of chances. but chelsea makes you take difficult chances. They rarely give very easy goals. Look at all the chances that Bayern missed... Robben and Ribery were doing all sorts of magic to create those, but still the finishes always had to be hurried or from weird angles.

Quote ( Mindaugas Bauža @ May 20th 2012,00:17:24 )

After the MU left UFEA Chealse was my favorite
This doesnt even make sense. LOL
Tom Bending
(Group Master - 2)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #1902 posted May 20th 2012, 00:52:47 Quote 

Football is about scoring goals.

Unfortunately this needs correction.

Football is about winning. Football would be more enjoyable to watch if it was about scoring goals.
Chinmay Dhopate
(Group Master - 2)

India 
Certified: 
Old post #1903 posted May 20th 2012, 00:53:33 Quote 
Quote ( Michael Monaco @ May 20th 2012,00:50:43 )

Ppl keep saying this, and in my opinion it is ludicrous. Bayern and Barca are 2 of the very best attacking teams. They score a lot because they are able to create a ton of chances. but chelsea makes you take difficult chances. They rarely give very easy goals. Look at all the chances that Bayern missed... Robben and Ribery were doing all sorts of magic to create those, but still the finishes always had to be hurried or from weird angles.

Barcelona I agree. Especially in the 2nd half. One could say they were unlucky.

But Bayern? They missed sitters. Atleast 3 of them in this game. My god, I can't believe Gomez actually scored 41 goals this season...
Michael Monaco
(Group Pro - 6)

Italy 
Certified: 
Old post #1904 posted May 20th 2012, 00:56:50 Quote 
Quote ( Chinmay Dhopate @ May 20th 2012,00:53:33 )

My god, I can't believe Gomez actually scored 41 goals this season...

Gomez was pretty bad, I'll agree. But here is another point:

Chelsea literally had ONE corner kick and they scored. They also had 2-3 great scoring chances in the first half, and they barely touched the ball! Does a team that defends that badly deserve to win?
Tom Bending
(Group Master - 2)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #1905 posted May 20th 2012, 01:03:43 (last edited May 20th 2012, 01:06:46 by Tom Bending) Quote 
Quote ( Michael Monaco @ May 20th 2012,00:56:50 )

Does a team that defends that badly deserve to win?

A team that never gave up belief that they had a chance deserves to win. (That does not mean that Bayern would not have been deserving winners too)

A team that knows that they were being outplayed but kept their nerve (for the most part) to the end, deserves to win.

We watch sport for two reasons IMO.

1) To witness flair, silky skills and teamwork etc...

2) For the drama and the surrounding chit chat. Tonight it was Chelsea that supplied the drama.
Michael Winkley
(Group Master - 4)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #1906 posted May 20th 2012, 01:06:39 Quote 
Quote ( Tom Bending @ May 20th 2012,01:03:43 )

A team that never gave up belief that they had a chance deserves to win.

Taken as meaning: "a person that buys lottery tickets every day throughout their life deserves to win because they believed that they would win it at some time"
Geoff Atkin
(Group Pro - 5)

Indonesia 
Certified: 
Old post #1907 posted May 20th 2012, 01:06:48 Quote 
Quote ( Tom Bending @ May 20th 2012,00:52:47 )

Football is about scoring goals.

Unfortunately this needs correction.

Football is about winning. Football would be more enjoyable to watch if it was about scoring goals.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer exciting attacking football but if it was purely about scoring goals, then the powers-that-be wouldn't have been giving out at least a point for keeping a clean sheet since professional football began.
Tom Bending
(Group Master - 2)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (3)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #1908 posted May 20th 2012, 01:07:44 Quote 
Quote ( Michael Winkley @ May 20th 2012,01:06:39 )

Taken as meaning: "a person that buys lottery tickets every day throughout their life deserves to win because they believed that they would win it at some time"

The difference being in one situation you have some control over the result. So in other words your example is completely useless :P
Michael Winkley
(Group Master - 4)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #1909 posted May 20th 2012, 01:09:16 (last edited May 20th 2012, 01:10:50 by Michael Winkley) Quote 
Double-post with some in between. ;p

Accrington Stanley would have some control over their destiny if they had enough money to be in there with a chance.
Tom Bending
(Group Master - 2)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #1910 posted May 20th 2012, 01:12:28 Quote 
Good night. I am off to bed with a glass of milk :) I had not realised I fancied it till you reminded me thank you Michael.
Michael Monaco
(Group Pro - 6)

Italy 
Certified: 
Old post #1911 posted May 20th 2012, 01:12:50 Quote 
Quote ( Tom Bending @ May 20th 2012,01:03:43 )

A team that never gave up belief that they had a chance deserves to win. (That does not mean that Bayern would not have been deserving winners too)

A team that knows that they were being outplayed but kept their nerve (for the most part) to the end, deserves to win.

I think we are agreeing. I was talking about Bayern's poor defending.
Chinmay Dhopate
(Group Master - 2)

India 
Certified: 
Old post #1912 posted May 20th 2012, 01:25:13 Quote 
Quote ( Michael Winkley @ May 20th 2012,01:09:16 )

Accrington Stanley would have some control over their destiny if they had enough money to be in there with a chance.

I personally never understood the "money" argument against Chelsea. Or even Man City for instance.

I mean, let us look at this, Manchester United's squad didn't come for free. Neither did Tottenham or Liverpool's squads. Barcelona also spends a lot of money on players. Last season, Bayern Munich spent 22 million on buying Neuer when he had just 1 year left on his contract, just so that no other team will get the chance. That is overspending by any definition. Yet by some logic, all these teams are allowed to spend money because they have history and Chelsea/City are not because they don't?

If I look at it from fan's perspective, I can see that the money fans spend on Chelsea and City is being matched by even more money put in by the owners, and ultimately their fans are getting the joy of watching their team being successful. Now, what about Manchester United? They money their fans are spending is being used to service the debt piled up by the Glazers during the levereged buy out. Ditto for Liverpool fans during the Hicks/Gillette era. These are the clubs that are taking the fans for the ride. I mean, really think about it, Manchester United fans are actually buying the damned football club and gifting it to the Glazer family in a way. And yet when Chelsea/City win they are "buying" the trophy while if Manchester United win it is just the natural order of things?

I lost a lot of respect for Liverpool as a club during the whole ownership saga last season. It made zero sense to give your money to an entity owned by those money grubbing maniacs and yet fans filled up the stadium every time instead of boycotting them and freaking singing songs in protest when the most effective form of protest would have been just refusing to turn up in the first place...

Ultimately, every capitalist corporation is defined by their ownership. And as far as I can see City's and Chelsea's owners -- and even Tottenham's -- are great for the business while Manchester United's owners are not.

Had this been any other business, media would have praised how generous the owners of City/Chelsea are for actually putting in a lot of cash -- most of which will never get returned -- for giving the customers entertainment. But over here, that is seen as a cardinal sin or something...
Craig Jones
(Group Amateur - 47)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #1913 posted May 20th 2012, 01:42:42 Quote 
Quote ( Chinmay Dhopate @ May 20th 2012,01:25:13 )

I lost a lot of respect for Liverpool as a club during the whole ownership saga last season. It made zero sense to give your money to an entity owned by those money grubbing maniacs and yet fans filled up the stadium every time instead of boycotting them and freaking singing songs in protest when the most effective form of protest would have been just refusing to turn up in the first place...
Why should we not support our club and players on the pitch just because 2 dumb ass yanks owned it? We got them out in the end and thats what matters.
Michael Winkley
(Group Master - 4)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #1914 posted May 20th 2012, 01:52:27 (last edited May 20th 2012, 01:53:07 by Michael Winkley) Quote 
They are not putting in the cash though; when they leave it will conveniently be revealed that their investments were in fact loans to the club, and secured against the clubs assets at that.
That is why I say Chelsea will cease to exist after Ambramovic.
Craig Jones
(Group Amateur - 47)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #1915 posted May 20th 2012, 01:57:05 Quote 
Quote ( Michael Winkley @ May 20th 2012,01:52:27 )

That is why I say Chelsea will cease to exist after Ambramovic.
So true and so will city if there chairman ever pulls the plug on his investment.
Fredrik Tunér
(Group Retired)

Sweden 
Certified: 
Old post #1916 posted May 20th 2012, 04:43:36 Quote 
Robben crumbled in another big game, how surprising.

Bayern played into Chelseas hand today, sure they had some sitters they missed but I cannot understand why both Ribery and Robben continued to cut in shooting against such a low defending team. Sure Gomez looked poor but he hardly had any decent crosses to deal with and the guy is a lethal targetman. A bit ironic since it was one of those few crosses that gave them the 1-0 goal.

Well kudos to Chelsea, Drogba & Lampard and Cech have earned themselves that CL title.

Chinmay Dhopate
(Group Master - 2)

India 
Certified: 
Old post #1917 posted May 20th 2012, 05:50:19 Quote 
Quote ( Michael Winkley @ May 20th 2012,01:52:27 )

They are not putting in the cash though; when they leave it will conveniently be revealed that their investments were in fact loans to the club, and secured against the clubs assets at that.

They cannot just "leave" since they own the club entirely. They have to sell it first, and I seriously doubt whether any prospective buyer will take up the huge amount of debt owned to the former owner of the club. They will have to cancel most of the debt and the rest of it will have to be removed from the price the new buyer is paying for the club.

If your owner is a multi-billionaire, your club is completely secured. The only problem is if he loses interest in which case, you don't really collapse, you are just not able to go into a huge spending spree.

Quote ( Craig Jones @ May 20th 2012,01:42:42 )

Why should we not support our club and players on the pitch just because 2 dumb ass yanks owned it? We got them out in the end and thats what matters.

I don't know how to put it... under the corporate model English football has turned itself into, it is not "your club". You are the consumers who are the suckers who will buy the product (yes, English football has become a "product") no matter how ridiculously overpriced and low quality it is.

And Hicks and Gillette couldn't do to Liverpool what Glazers are doing to Man United for only one reason -- Manchester United is able to make much, much more money than Liverpool is. That is the only reason you were able to "get them out" in the end.
Gavin Paisley
(Group Pro - 8)

Canada 
Certified: 
Old post #1918 posted May 20th 2012, 07:53:58 Quote 
Chelsea played the game that there coach felt gave them the best chance of winning. A lot of people are saying it wasn't pretty and most are saying worse but I am not sure how you can argue with the result. They have won two cups this month and I am pretty sure they are happy about that, as am I.

The tactic they used, although usually unpopular with fans, is not uncommon in other sports and has won many titles/ cups/ championships. What I am seeing most in this thread is a lot of hating and not a lot of understanding of doing what needs to be done to win.

They won... again. NICE!
Page « 1 2 3 ... 63 [6465 ... 230 231 232 » Quick go to page:
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Other sports forum > UEFA Champions League (ALL SEASONS) Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist

Reply to this topic