Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Newbie forum > Different fuel consumption in Rain Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist
Page [1
Author Topic: Different fuel consumption in Rain 18 replies
Mario Lorenz
(Group Rookie - 253)

Germany 
Certified: 
Old post #1 posted Aug 11th 2012, 06:52:26 Quote 
Hi

i search everywhere also in this forum and the Wiki. But i just find in rain condtions the fuel consumption is less. Ok this is my first wet race but how much consumption of fuel can i save. Of course i dont expect the exact figure. But is the impact huge like maybe 50 percent medium maybe fuel comsumption less 20% or very minor just 10 to 5%?
Matt Kasar
(Group Rookie - 44)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #2 posted Aug 11th 2012, 06:57:15 Quote 
it's quite a bit, possibly around the medium sort of mark? but after going tight (and needing a splash and dash) and going conservative.... it's much better to put in 15L too much than 1L too little. Also the fuel consumption will go back up again if it does dry out
Andrei Vatra
(Group Amateur - 3)

Romania 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (5)
Old post #3 posted Aug 11th 2012, 06:57:24 Quote 
Mario, i won't hit you with FOBY, as i know some of the guys will.

But this is a thing you have to learn by yourself. Being your first race in the wet...try to get the tires right and use it like a learning race for the fuel.

And you can always join a team with experienced managers that can help you with these questions. See the forum for one of the many team advertisments.
Mario Lorenz
(Group Rookie - 253)

Germany 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #4 posted Aug 11th 2012, 07:00:41 Quote 
Already apply to teams no response.

I also didnt asked for details. I aksed for a rough number so i not totaly fail.

But if Matt say medium than i expect maybe 20% :) thx Matt
Matt Kasar
(Group Rookie - 44)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #5 posted Aug 11th 2012, 07:09:33 Quote 
remember I'm a total newbie myself mario :o)
Kevin Faber
(Group Rookie - 252)

Canada 
Certified: 
Old post #6 posted Aug 11th 2012, 08:26:53 Quote 
That first wet race is a bear. (It's actually a female dog, but... ;p ) Let me recommend this: use your total fuel burn for dry & compare.

Beware the weather changes, tho. They're why I hate wet races. They will screw your fuel strategy if you don't get it right.

So, you have to decide: fuel long & stop for wet/dry tire changes, or don't make tire changes for weather. (If there's a better way, I haven't found it yet... That being so, if anybody has one, I'll listen. ;p)
Ron Lefebvre
(Group Amateur - 55)

Canada 
Certified: 
Old post #7 posted Aug 11th 2012, 09:26:28 Quote 
Yes you will use less fuel in a full wet race, but this may not be a full wet race. Your guess of 20% less is heading in the right direction, driver charecteristics and your level of car upgrades will effect your fuel economy in both conditions wet or dry. Keep detailed information on fuel consumption in these type of races ,and you will be able to finish races with a minimal amount of fuel left in the tank.... Better to guess to much fuel than not enough ! ;)
Jimmy De Roy
(Group Amateur - 45)

Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #8 posted Aug 11th 2012, 09:36:12 Quote 
You will use less but we can not give exact figures
Steven Tindle
(Group Amateur - 20)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #9 posted Aug 11th 2012, 09:38:09 Quote 
If you're looking for a team you have practically no chance of joining any if you are just clicking the apply to join team button. It's annoying and just like walking into a new job and asking when do you start before they even know you. Post something about yourself on the 'looking for a team' thread.

As for the fuel consumption it's less but this is definatly a FOBY topic which makes it against the rules for anyone to say anything else.
Sion Francis
(Group Pro - 12)

Wales 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #10 posted Aug 11th 2012, 09:45:56 Quote 
These threads may help get you thinking about this the right way...

/gb/forum/ViewTopic.asp?TopicId=18904&Page=1

/gb/forum/ViewTopic.asp?TopicId=18943&Page=1
Phil Maunder
(Group Master - 1)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #11 posted Aug 11th 2012, 09:47:33 Quote 
Other advice for new players with no rain experience is keep a lookout for the wet testing sessions. We had one a couple of races back which would have set you on the right direction. Same goes for the other thread aobut rain tyres as well.

..thats if you have a dry test to compare it too of course :)
Jimmy De Roy
(Group Amateur - 45)

Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #12 posted Aug 11th 2012, 10:56:30 Quote 
Quote ( Phil Maunder @ August 11th 2012,09:47:33 )

Other advice for new players with no rain experience is keep a lookout for the wet testing sessions. We had one a couple of races back which would have set you on the right direction. Same goes for the other thread aobut rain tyres as well.

..thats if you have a dry test to compare it too of course :)

True although it is not perfect but it is a very good start that is a fact
Roland Postle10
(Group Rookie - 172)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #13 posted Aug 11th 2012, 12:18:33 Quote 
Quote ( Sion Francis @ August 11th 2012,09:45:56 )

These threads may help get you thinking about this the right way...
/gb/forum/ViewTopic.asp?TopicId=18943&Page=1

That's a baffling topic but the one clear thing I get from it is that even Elites with 15+ seasons experience have trouble predicting fuel consumption in the wet

So after the elation of finally getting it spot on in yesterdays race I'm back to the tried-and-true method of 'six good sloshes and a generous drizzle for good luck'
Chris Bloomer
(Group Amateur - 45)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #14 posted Aug 11th 2012, 19:48:09 Quote 
One of last seasons wet races did not comply to the normal data, it threw all people. Even the ones with very good data, if that starts happening and it becomes random, we are all in the same boat!
Kevin Parkinson
(Group Amateur - 42)

GPRO Crew
Scotland 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #15 posted Aug 11th 2012, 19:49:24 Quote 
What race? I don't recall anything unexpected with regard to fuel :/
William Irons
(Group Pro - 7)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #16 posted Aug 11th 2012, 19:59:16 Quote 
Maybe New Delhi? That was the first rain race in New Delhi so I didn't have a good estimate on fuel consumption in the rain.
Daniel Mason
(Group Rookie - 239)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #17 posted Aug 11th 2012, 20:24:36 Quote 
If you know how much fuel is neeeded for a dry race here, and you know you need less in the rain, then start by taking educated guesses as to the percentage to reduce by. I tend to reduce by a set percentage and thoroughly look at post-race analysis to see how close I was in my estimate.

Remember, fuel loads aren't supposed to exceed 280L for an entire race (though at 1 track I find this number to be total bollocks), so use that as a stable baseline and reduce from there. The rule of thumb here: it's better to over-fuel than under-fuel, and nowhere is that more true than in the rain.
Marius Bernhold
(Group Amateur - 30)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #18 posted Aug 11th 2012, 20:58:16 Quote 
I have 2 dry seasons of data on this race and even with a reduced fuel level, I made sure I have a back up plan.
Keith Colclough
(Group Rookie - 67)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #19 posted Aug 11th 2012, 22:51:57 Quote 
Just make sure to record the results you find from this wet race and that will be useful in the next wet race. :)
Page [1
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Newbie forum > Different fuel consumption in Rain Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist

Reply to this topic