Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Suggestions forum > Change point system to reward active managers Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist
Page [12 » Quick go to page:
Author Topic: Change point system to reward active managers 33 replies
James Knutson
(Group Amateur - 17)

United States 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (8)
Old post #1 posted Jul 24th 2014, 02:24:37 Quote 
Not sure if this has been suggested (I started looking through the forums, but with 100 pages - well you get the picture).

My suggestion is to change the point system so that the standings reward account managers that race in all 17 races versus a manager that races in a couple until he/she gets enough points to prevent relegation, then goes AWOL the rest of the season.

One possible idea is for each missed race, the manager loses a point (if they have one).
Ethan Littlejohns
(Group Amateur - 14)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #2 posted Jul 24th 2014, 02:27:42 Quote 
You get money for racing all races.

And maybe if you can't retain you shouldn't be relying on other rules and should just go down and start again? :)
Rafael Mantovani
(Group Pro - 23)

Brazil 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #3 posted Jul 24th 2014, 02:29:48 (last edited Jul 24th 2014, 02:31:23 by Rafael Mantovani) Quote 
so if you miss a race for unexpected reasons (no internet connection, too busy at work, having an accident and being unable to login, etc) you should lose a point? you already lose the 5M bonus for taking part in all 17 races, race money, sponsor progress, etc... and now a point?

Not a good idea imo. It is all part of the game - OBP has always existed in GPRO.
James Knutson
(Group Amateur - 17)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #4 posted Jul 24th 2014, 02:30:29 Quote 
Quote ( Ethan Littlejohns @ July 24th 2014,02:27:42 )

And maybe if you can't retain you shouldn't be relying on other rules and should just go down and start again? :)

Ouch. Sometimes the truth hurts.

That is probably the best reason not to change it.
Greg Swaney
(Group Rookie - 87)

United States 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #5 posted Jul 24th 2014, 02:51:11 (last edited Jul 24th 2014, 02:53:21 by Greg Swaney) Quote 
Quote ( James Knutson @ July 24th 2014,02:24:37 )

Not sure if this has been suggested

It has...

/gb/forum/ViewTopic.asp?TopicId=21184&Page=1
James Knutson
(Group Amateur - 17)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #6 posted Jul 24th 2014, 03:07:36 Quote 
Quote ( Rafael Mantovani @ July 24th 2014,02:29:48 )

Not a good idea imo. It is all part of the game

Very good points. You sold me - bad idea.

Quote ( Greg Swaney @ July 24th 2014,02:51:11 )

It has...

/gb/forum/ViewTopic.asp?TopicId=21184&Page=1

Thanks, not sure what search criteria you use, but I need it.
Edwin Silva
(Group Amateur - 93)

Colombia 
Certified: 
Old post #7 posted Jul 24th 2014, 03:34:02 Quote 
Quote ( James Knutson @ July 24th 2014,03:07:36 )

This is surprising to me. It is one of the rare times when somebody makes a suggestion here, he is being told the idea isn't that good and he changes his mind. Most of the times it is kind of dozens of posts and at the end the guy saying "Well, yes, your points are fair, but my idea is still great and it should be implemented".
Claudio Szynkier
(Group Amateur - 6)

Brazil 
Certified: 
Like this post (3)   Dislike this post (4)
Old post #8 posted Jul 24th 2014, 03:39:57 (last edited Jul 24th 2014, 03:45:24 by Claudio Szynkier) Quote 
one thing i really don't like, specially in amateur and above, is the possibility of a manager retains with 1 race.

i don't like to see managers who're like "giving up", missed 8 races, then he/ she will return to the last 2 races to make 4 points.

it is unfair (guaranteed retention) for two reasons:

it causes unfair confusion and problems to other managers plans.

it is ugly.

i think the guy who misses a lot of races and return when he wants don't show a strong connection to the game. it's bad for the game as an 'organism'.

i think the place for this kind of player is always below amateur.

i'd like to see the following rule:
more than 5 races missed - any time of the season = relegation.
Henri Erilaid
(Group Amateur - 79)

Estonia 
Certified: 
Old post #9 posted Jul 24th 2014, 04:31:30 Quote 
Quote ( Edwin Silva @ July 24th 2014,03:34:02 )

This is surprising to me. It is one of the rare times when somebody makes a suggestion here, he is being told the idea isn't that good and he changes his mind. Most of the times it is kind of dozens of posts and at the end the guy saying "Well, yes, your points are fair, but my idea is still great and it should be implemented".

I thought it was sarcastic for sure, but then again maybe you're being sarcastic as well.

Anyway I think there are enough benefits that you gain by racing (possibility to make money, get driver stats, not just the 5 mil, but the race gains if you are going saving mode), so not racing doesn't need an extra punishment. It has enough punishment right now.

If someone's plans were to retain in AMA, but plans get ruined due to a player popping out of inactivity and getting points, I think this someone should've just planned better and safe enough not to be exactly on the line. A guy who was getting 20+ positions and then suddenly decided to push could've also got your position.
Alan Halford
(Group Amateur - 33)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #10 posted Jul 24th 2014, 08:59:53 Quote 
Do you know what my Grandfather used to tell me all the time...."If it ain't broke...don't fix it"
Michael Winkley
(Group Master - 5)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #11 posted Jul 24th 2014, 09:12:54 Quote 
"If it ain't broke, mug it." The 21st Century version. :)
Josh Clark
(Group Pro - 17)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #12 posted Jul 24th 2014, 09:50:54 Quote 
Quote ( Edwin Silva @ July 24th 2014,03:34:02 )

Or "Iz it cos I iz new?"
Phil Maunder
(Group Master - 1)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #13 posted Jul 24th 2014, 10:09:49 Quote 
Quote ( Alan Halford @ July 24th 2014,08:59:53 )

Do you know what my Grandfather used to tell me all the time...."If it ain't broke...don't fix it"

He didn't work on continuous improvement projects in the manufacturing industry then?
Guy Adams
(Group Rookie - 167)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #14 posted Jul 24th 2014, 10:26:20 Quote 
....or "if it ain't broke, break it, then take ages to fix it, in the process making it less efficient than it was before, and thereby justify your continued employment at Network Rail in the UK"...
Dair Lago
(Group Amateur - 123)

Slovenia 
Certified: 
Old post #15 posted Jul 24th 2014, 10:54:21 Quote 
I'm not at home to varify it, I have only this season's data. But from data I have, driver's motivation doesn't drop if you miss a race and I think this is a serious flow.
Sion Francis
(Group Master - 2)

Wales 
Certified: 
Like this post (7)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #16 posted Jul 24th 2014, 13:43:21 Quote 
So I log in for the first time in months, first thing I see is a topic about changing the points system.

Some things never change :*-)
Alin Costrasuc
(Group Pro - 15)

Romania 
Certified: 
Old post #17 posted Jul 24th 2014, 13:58:31 Quote 
Quote ( Guy Adams @ July 24th 2014,10:26:20 )

....or "if it ain't broke, break it, then take ages to fix it, in the process making it less efficient than it was before, and thereby justify your continued employment at Network Rail in the UK"...

You have described how things work in pretty much all areas in Romania.
Luke Frost
(Group Amateur - 118)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #18 posted Jul 24th 2014, 14:15:24 Quote 
James gets a big lel from me
MG van Rensburg
(Group Amateur - 119)

South Africa 
Certified: 
Old post #19 posted Jul 24th 2014, 14:29:55 Quote 
Interesting point by op.

But then, if said manager beat you in the race he ran, isnt he doing you a favour by not competing in the rest of the season by giving you 1 less competitor you need to be quicker than to earn your own points for retention?
James Knutson
(Group Amateur - 17)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #20 posted Jul 24th 2014, 18:28:29 Quote 
My last comment was not sarcasm, I was being sincere. Ethan and Rafael made very valid points (which I hadn't thought of at the time of my original post). The truth of the matter is, if I can't capture a single point and I am in the relegation group then I should get relegated - obviously, I am not ready to be in the group I'm in.

After reading a number of posts in the link that Greg provided and scouring through the game rules (especially 8.1 Inactivity and retiring from the game - which addresses inactivity) and the wiki - I am convinced that it shouldn't be changed.
Jes Roth
(Group Amateur - 17)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #21 posted Jul 24th 2014, 19:24:02 (last edited Jul 24th 2014, 19:26:26 by Jes Roth) Quote 
I think he has a valid point in the OP

I am in his group; we have a guy who only participated in the first 2 races who was ahead of me in points for most of the season. Not sure if it can be fixed with a rule change, but it is frustrating as hell to be behind a guy who isnt even competing.

Edwin Silva
(Group Amateur - 93)

Colombia 
Certified: 
Old post #22 posted Jul 24th 2014, 19:59:37 Quote 
Quote ( Jes Roth @ July 24th 2014,19:24:02 )

I think he has a valid point in the OP

I am in his group; we have a guy who only participated in the first 2 races who was ahead of me in points for most of the season. Not sure if it can be fixed with a rule change, but it is frustrating as hell to be behind a guy who isnt even competing.

That may be annoying, yes, but you are highly benefited by people not racing. You get one free place, including races where you crash out or drop out, he is losing his sponsors and he isn't advancing in his negotiations, which is great for the rest of the group, and it is way more likely you overtake him in the standings if he stops racing than had he continued contending.

In a similar thread I said that I would even gladly accept if they gave money to people not contending, actually, due to all the benefits I get by that. :D
Luc Segers
(Group Rookie - 190)

Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #23 posted Jul 24th 2014, 20:14:41 Quote 
Quote ( Jes Roth @ July 24th 2014,19:24:02 )

From the rules :
8.1 Inactivity and retiring from the game

Managers in Rookie who miss 3 consecutive races and who have done in total 0 GPRO races since they joined will be removed from the game immediately, otherwise they will be removed if they miss 5 consecutive races and if there are managers on the waiting list waiting for a free spot. At the end of the season managers in Amateur who didn't race the last 6 races of the season, managers in Pro who didn't race the last 9 races of the season, managers in Master who didn't race the last 12 races of the season and managers in Elite who didn't race the last 15 races of the season will be removed from the game before the next season starts. In case the need arises more players from Pro, Amateur and Rookie groups may be promoted in order to fill any free places in the higher groups.
Ferran Rachwal
(Group Rookie - 160)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #24 posted Jul 24th 2014, 20:19:08 Quote 
I would like a point system where a finish gives 1point (to stop people form risking dnfs) so for instance just give the top 10 points
1:12
2:10
3:9
4:8
5:7
6:6
7:5
8:4
9:3
10:2
finish1

Ofcourse you can also give more points to the first 15 or 20 what ever you like
Fran Betancort
(Group Amateur - 66)

Spain 
Certified: 
Old post #25 posted Jul 24th 2014, 20:24:23 Quote 
Quote ( Ferran Rachwal @ July 24th 2014,20:19:08 )

I would like a point system where a finish gives 1point (to stop people form risking dnfs) so for instance just give the top 10 points
1:12
2:10
3:9
4:8
5:7
6:6
7:5
8:4
9:3
10:2
finish1

Ofcourse you can also give more points to the first 15 or 20 what ever you like

So more money per points?mmm no thanks ;)

As Edwin points out, you get many benefits from people who don´t race. IMO no more benefits needed. You get extra places (more money), easy to score as there are less opponents to beat (more money), you advance more in negotiations with sponsors (more money), you earn money for racing while those who don´t race doesn´t get any and pay the staff and driver salary.

Ferran Rachwal
(Group Rookie - 160)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #26 posted Jul 24th 2014, 20:44:28 Quote 
That's all completely true but if the amount of point go up in a scaled way there doesnt change much.

But if you are in a competition with 40 people it seems kinda cruel to me if only the best 8 are within the points I would like to see at least the top 10 in the points ,my ideal scenario would be to give the top 20 points.

Do you understand me ,it's really disappointing finishing 9th on 2 tenths.
Fran Betancort
(Group Amateur - 66)

Spain 
Certified: 
Old post #27 posted Jul 24th 2014, 20:49:16 Quote 
Quote ( Ferran Rachwal @ July 24th 2014,20:44:28 )

If ten people score I bet you would say it´s really disappointing to finish 11th on 2 tenths ;)

Kevin Parkinson
(Group Pro - 22)

GPRO Crew
Scotland 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #28 posted Jul 24th 2014, 20:53:58 (last edited Jul 24th 2014, 20:54:07 by Kevin Parkinson) Quote 
General point system talk? I blame Sion for encouraging that!

If you do wish to discuss that, please do so here... /gb/forum/ViewTopic.asp?TopicId=13180

preferably after reading all 2472 posts so you don't repeat the same stuff over and over again :)
Paul Bright
(Group Amateur - 34)

Scotland 
Certified: 
Old post #29 posted Jul 24th 2014, 23:17:25 Quote 
Quote ( Ferran Rachwal @ July 24th 2014,20:44:28 )

it's still important to remember that the system now works in a way that effectively gives everyone virtual points!
When finishes are added up to determine where you are in the standings equal points finishers are ranked by their actual finish places in the races. So grabbing that 9th really does make a difference.

Quote ( Kevin Parkinson @ July 24th 2014,20:53:58 )

If you do wish to discuss that, please do so here... /gb/forum/ViewTopic.asp?TopicId=13180

preferably after reading all 2472 posts so you don't repeat the same stuff over and over again :)

I'm not convinced that old discussions, sometimes from several years ago, always reflect the feeling in the current community so maybe just the last 200 posts would suffice.
Kevin Parkinson
(Group Pro - 22)

GPRO Crew
Scotland 
Certified: 
Old post #30 posted Jul 24th 2014, 23:28:24 Quote 
Quote ( Paul Bright @ July 24th 2014,23:17:25 )

I'm not convinced that old discussions, sometimes from several years ago, always reflect the feeling in the current community so maybe just the last 200 posts would suffice.

The "feeling" of the community is irrelevant. The points for and against are well covered in the thread and they haven't changed over time. Preferences might, but still no point bringing the same debate up again with nothing new to add.

But people are free to post there what they like, of course.
Page [12 » Quick go to page:
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Suggestions forum > Change point system to reward active managers Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist

Reply to this topic