Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Forum games > QRO Season 9 [Season Over] Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist
Page [12 3 ... 59 60 61 » Quick go to page:
Author Topic: QRO Season 9 [Season Over] 1821 replies
Jonathan Beagles
(Group Retired)

Topic mod
England 
Certified: 
Like this post (8)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #1 posted Feb 5th 2016, 22:01:27 (last edited Jul 11th 2021, 19:11:46 by Jonathan Beagles) Quote 

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg564/jons_a_squirrel/Qu...

Quiz Racing Online Season 9 is here at last!!!

(If you intend to play, be sure to read posts 1-3 at least)

QRO returns for it's 9th season with a slimmer, sharper look to introduce a purer form of the game with an added overall challenge too...but first a basic explanation:

QRO is essentially an F1 trivia quiz, where the answers to your questions determine how fast you race, playing the game is simple. And here is the ultra-simplified version of the rules:

a) Choose a team (must be past or present F1), write ##Join Renault (for example) on the thread
b) Send me a Qualifying PM (when I tell you to) with either 1, 2 or 3 stops asap
c) Be on GPRO/the thread at race time (TIME TBD) and answer any questions I tell you to by sending me a PM with the answer, unless otherwise stated.
d) Watch the race unfold and enjoy it!

https://i.imgur.com/ZZMwvlD.jpg
Jonathan Beagles
(Group Retired)

Topic mod
England 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #2 posted Feb 5th 2016, 22:01:37 (last edited Jun 6th 2021, 01:13:08 by Jonathan Beagles) Quote 
QRO Timetable

Note that all times are subject to change at my discretion, though I will always try to give at least a few days' warning if an event time/date will change, wherever possible.

- Test Race Vilnius 20/12 @ 21:00 CET (based on qualifiers) - COMPLETE
- Practice Race Donnington 02/01 @ 15:00 CET (based on qualifiers) - COMPLETE
- Race 1 & 2 Melbourne 16/01 & 17/01 @ 12:00 CET - COMPLETE
- Race 3 & 4 Anderstorp 23/01 & 24/01 @ 13:00 CET - COMPLETE
- Race 5 & 6 Spa-Francorchamps 30/01 & 31/01 @ 14:00 CET - COMPLETE
- Race 7 & 8 Montreal 13/02 & 14/02 @ 15:00 CET - COMPLETE
- Race 9 & 10 Indianapolis 13/03 & 14/03 @ 16:00 CET - COMPLETE
- Race 11 & 12 Nurburgring 20/03 & 21/03 @ 17:00 CET - COMPLETE
- Race 13 & 14 Suzuka 03/04 & 04/04 @ 18:00 CET - COMPLETE
- Race 15 & 16 Singapore 10/04 & 11/04 @ 19:00 CET - COMPLETE
- Race 17 & 18 Silverstone 24/04 & 25/04 @ 20:00 CET - COMPLETE
- Race 19 & 20 Bremgarten 01/05 & 02/05 @ 21:00 CET - COMPLETE
- Race 21 & 22 Monte Carlo 08/05 & 09/05 @ 22:00 CET - COMPLETE
- The Beagles Cup (Speed boosts at the ready!) 30/05 @ 20:00 CET - COMPLETE
- Race of Champions (The alternative QRO format) 10/07 @ 20:00 CET

QRO Teams Line-Up

Eligible for replacement

Minardi - Janne Väänänen & Tim-Oliver Wagner - COMPLETE
Leyton House - Kyle Morris & Calum MacKinnon - COMPLETE
Arrows - Dominik Karda & Sam Tipple - COMPLETE
Stebro - Romain Lebreton & Alexander Kleinbaum
Toyota - Mikko Suhonen & Mairo Toom - COMPLETE
Red Bull - Cameron Halsall & Sagar Abhyankar - COMPLETE
Lotus - Guilherme Franco & Jason Mathias
Lancia - Marcus Probert & Geir Pukk - COMPLETE
Alfa Romeo - Davi Queiroz & Kirsty Ridley
LEC Refrigeration - Jun Ho & Ben Gilbert - COMPLETE
Tyrrell - Michał Kożuchowski & Lech Witarczyk

https://i.imgur.com/JKgFy45.jpg

Wagner was already guaranteed to be Champion - but this is now confirmed by the season end. He becomes not only the first ever back-to-back Champion, but also the only 4 time champion (he was the only 3 time champion) and the only person to win the title with 3 different teams (BMW in Season 4, Jordan in Season 6 & 8 and now with Minardi in Season 9). Truly a giant of the series!

Suhonen's victory today confirms his 2nd place in the standings, which is his best ever series finish and keeps him far enough ahead of Gilbert in the LEC to even have a measure of comfort about his victory today. MacKinnon and Morris finish 4th and 5th for Leyton House in a strong season for both, as they are the only team to finish with both drivers within the Top 5!

That is largely down to Ho's late season implosion that saw him drop out of title contention - with all five of his podiums coming in the opening half of the season. Karda by contrast came alive towards the end with 3 podiums in the final 3 race weekends, which earned him a deserved 7th overall. The Red Bull duo are up next, with Halsall's slightly better race pace earning him 8th ahead of the consistency of Abhyankar in 9th overall.

Finishing the Top 10 is a late surge by Tipple - and you have to wonder what he could have achieved if he had been present all season long! Indeed, in the time he was in the series only the Top 3 drivers actually scored more points than he did. He claims that 10th position by a single point from Väänänen, with Toom just 11 points further back - as both those drivers suffered from the amount of missed races in the season.

The same applies for everyone after that, though Probert in 12th had a solid start to the season and Mathias in 13th did well for the brief period he was involved also. Pukk, Ridley, Queiroz, and Frost can at least say that they managed to make the points, which is more than the luckless Kleinbaum can say. Finally, we will have to wait for another season to see what the likes of Franco, Lebreton, Partridge, Kożuchowski, Witarczyk and Ramann can do if they turn up for races...

https://i.imgur.com/ENkZora.jpg

Going into this race it was already all but certain that Tyrrell would finish last without a single race start to their name, while Alfa Romeo would be 10th despite the brief glimpses of pace we saw when they did manage to turn up to a start. Lotus were buoyed by Mathias' late performances, but 9th was all he could drag them up to as Stebro finish 8th thanks to Toom's efforts before his transfer to Toyota (more on that in a moment...).

Lancia finish 7th after a couple of reasonable performances moved them ahead of those behind them, while in the fight for 5th it is Red Bull who end up broken hearted by Arrows' late surge that moved them up into the Top 5. Toyota finish 4th, but had they had Toom all season long they would have been one place further up in fact...

...though nevertheless you have to commend Leyton House's hard work and industry in finishing inside the Top 3 against some far more established teams and drivers. Ultimately though, no-one could match the might of Wagner as he led his Minardi team to their 1st ever Teams' Championship (they did take Janne Väänänen to his Drivers' Title in Season 7 though) - and that was despite stiff competition from LEC, who kept it interesting until the final race - but just could not quite live with the pace of the Minardi in the end.

https://i.imgur.com/CMlRshD.jpg

Wagner finishes 1st in another contest, as he claims the Average Qualifying Standings victory - though both Halsall (who finishes an impressive 2nd for Red Bull) and Ho (a 3rd place that was never in doubt) kept him honest throughout most of the season.

Suhonen was very consistent in 4th, whilst Mathias handful of strong qualifying entries sees him finish inside the Top 5 at the last! Karda, MacKinnon, Abhyankar, Tipple and Morris round out the Top 10.
Jonathan Beagles
(Group Retired)

Topic mod
England 
Certified: 
Old post #3 posted Feb 5th 2016, 22:01:45 (last edited Jan 17th 2021, 13:05:29 by Jonathan Beagles) Quote 
Here is the more detailed explanation of the QRO Rules:

a) - Choose a team, there may only be 2 people in each team, and I do not mind if you swap around between teams mid-season, you can race for any team you wish as long as they have competed in F1 before. The maximum amount of starters in any given race is 20, if I receive more qualifying PMs than that then anyone outside the Top 10 entrants by Championship Order will have to compete in a mini-race beforehand to see who will race with the main contenders.

b) - Before each race starts, when I say so, you must PM me your choice of pit stop strategy, either 1, 2 or 3 stops, as fast as possible. The implications of this choice will be explained in a moment.

c) - Be on GPRO/your Mailbox at the agreed time (see calendar for this) for the start of the race. The race will begin with a question for all drivers, you should send me ONLY ONE answer to this question, and all other questions unless otherwise stated, in a PM. Any posting of hints or answers on the thread will result in an immediate DSQ, persistent abuse of this rule will result in points deductions.

There are different questions for people with different strategies, in each race the timetable looks like this:

17:00 – Race start, question for all
17:10 – 1st question for 3 stoppers
17:15 – Pace Question for All Drivers
17:20 – 1st question for 2 stoppers
17:30 – 1st question for 1 stoppers AND the 2nd question for the 3 stoppers.
17:40 – 2nd question for 2 stoppers
17:45 – Pace Question for All Drivers
17:50 – 3rd question for 3 stoppers
18:00 – The Racing Edge question for all drivers
18:10 – "One on One" question to settle any ties, this will happen on the thread and I will write an announcement if there are any ties, if there are none then there will be no question.

d) - And when I post the final results, you are allowed to PM me your strategy for the next race, the faster you PM me your strategy the higher up you qualify for the next race!

Simple!

If you have any questions then feel free to ask, otherwise good luck to everyone and I hope you enjoy the new season!!!
Jonathan Beagles
(Group Retired)

Topic mod
England 
Certified: 
Old post #4 posted Feb 5th 2016, 22:01:52 (last edited Feb 18th 2021, 00:48:30 by Jonathan Beagles) Quote 
Here is the strategic side of the game:

You can pit once, twice or three times and you will receive questions to determine your performance in each of the stints of the race around these pit stops, so simply put:

1 stop = 2 stints = answer 3 questions
2 stops = 3 stints = answer 4 questions
3 stops = 4 stints = answer 5 questions

The choice of strategy depends how much fuel is in your car, and thus the time penalty you have because of the weight, so a 3 stop strategy may be best for beginners or those with less knowledge, as there is just a 1 second penalty per minute for slowness. Whereas if you are on a 1 stopper and take 2 minutes to PM me the answer to a PM then you lose 6 seconds of time, exact details coming up in the next post.

You must PM me with your strategy at any point after the previous race finishes (which is when I post the Final Stint Results), and at least 5 minutes before the next race begins.

Questions will take the form of F1 Trivia, and you will be allowed to look them up in the Internet if you like, but you will obviously be faster if you don't need to look them up because you already know the answer.

If you don't know the answer to a question and can't find it on the web, or would rather just guess, then feel free to send a PM for that question anyway. ANYONE NOT ANSWERING A PIT-STOP QUESTION THEY SHOULD ANSWER BEFORE THE QUESTION WINDOW CLOSES WILL BE OUT OF THE RACE, the question window will last for either 5 or 10 minutes after each question (it will say in the Question PM how long you have to answer). All my decisions will be final and PMs will be taken in the order they appear in my mailbox, and not the time you sent it at!!!

Pace Questions & Racing Edge Question

All drivers will be involved in 2 Pace Questions during the race along with the Racing Edge Question at the end of the race. All these questions will be open for either 5 or 10 minutes (this will be specified in the PM), and you will lose 0.5 seconds for every place you are back in the order (if you get the answer wrong, you will automatically fall behind those who answer correctly). Not sending a PM will not knock you out of the race, but you will lose a significant amount of time. If there are any ties after this, then ON THE THREAD there will be a last question between just those people, which is called the "One on One!!!"

One on One

In the "One on One" question (used to settle ties at the end of the race) it is simply the first to post the correct answer wins, if no-one gets it right then the first incorrect answer will lose, meaning that patience may be of value, the question will be open for 5 minutes and if someone does not post an answer they will lose 5 seconds.

Points will be given out F1 style 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1 to the top 10 finishers, and that's about it I think!

Again, any questions then please just ask. The next post you see from me will not be necessary to read, it will just be for those of you who want to see how I work out all the times etc...feel free to ignore it if you so choose :)
Jonathan Beagles
(Group Retired)

Topic mod
England 
Certified: 
Old post #5 posted Feb 5th 2016, 22:01:58 (last edited Jan 22nd 2021, 00:28:15 by Jonathan Beagles) Quote 
Other matters:

Qualifying Effecting The Race

The person in 2nd place will lose 0.2 seconds to first, 3rd loses 0.4 seconds to 1st etc etc etc, this means that a bad qualifying isn't the end of the world, but it will still cost you something.

Pit Stops and Other Race Phases

I will work out the race as follows; a correct answer first is the best lap time at the start and will get you a 1 second lead, a correct answer 2nd puts you in 2nd place 1 second down on 1st but 1 second up on 3rd if they gave a correct answer also. An incorrect answer first gives you a 1 second deficit to ALL THOSE with correct answers and a 1 second penalty for getting it wrong, but there will be a 1 second gap back to 2nd with an incorrect answer etc etc etc, if no-one gets it right then all those answering that question will incur a 1 second penalty. It is possible to be lapped and you will lose 2 seconds for this...making it harder to claw your way back up, but you will be rewarded if you manage to unlap yourself with a 2 second bonus.

All correct answers and sending them in first every time is the best possible outcome obviously, but those with less questions will be quicker of course, meaning that they must incur a time penalty for all the fuel they have on board...so for every minute slower 1 stoppers are to PM me they will lose 3 seconds of time AS WELL AS 30 seconds for choosing this fuel strategy, which will be added on at their 1 and only pit stop, 2 stoppers will lose 1.5 seconds for every minute slow they are AS WELL AS 15 seconds at each pit stop for choosing this route, and 3 stoppers will be light and therefore relatively unburdened, losing just 1 second per minute slow, their pit stops will take 10 seconds to complete.

So to sum up:

1 stop - 30 seconds pits plus 3 seconds per minute slow.
2 stops - 15 seconds pits plus 1.5 second per minute slow.
3 stops - 10 seconds pits plus 1 second per minute slow.

The pace questions will not be affected by fuel level.

Safety Cars

If 4 or more people crash out (i.e. they have qualified for the race but fail to answer a question within the 10 minute time limit) the Safety Car will automatically emerge, if 2-3 drivers crash out then it will be my decision as to whether there needs to be a safety car or not, 1 driver crashing will not bring out the Safety Car, where drivers qualify will play a part in my decisions. The effect of a safety car will be to bunch the field up so they are all within one second of each other, so for example:

1st - Name McNamey
2nd - Name Namerson + 0.5 secs
3rd - Name Nameington + 1 sec

And so on...

Penalties For Missing Races

If you qualify for a race and do not take part then you shall start from the pit lane in the next race, putting you 5 seconds down on the rest of the grid instantly.

Oh and look out for the other competitions in QRO, namely the Constructors Championship, the Average Qualifying Championship and the Awards at the end of the season.
Mairo Toom
(Group Pro - 14)

Estonia 
Certified: 
Old post #6 posted Feb 5th 2016, 22:05:15 Quote 
Whoever doesn't want to win, is free to join me -

#Join Stebro
Kyle Morris
(Group Master - 2)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #7 posted Feb 5th 2016, 22:08:22 Quote 
#Join Williams

Although i wont be around for the practice race xD
Janne Väänänen
(Group Pro - 3)

Finland 
Certified: 
Old post #8 posted Feb 5th 2016, 22:12:51 Quote 
jion minardi
Sam Tipple
(Group Amateur - 37)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #9 posted Feb 5th 2016, 22:25:45 Quote 
#join Williams
if okay with Kyle :)
Kyle Morris
(Group Master - 2)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #10 posted Feb 5th 2016, 22:26:05 Quote 
Quote ( Sam Tipple @ February 5th 2016,22:25:45 )

#join Williams
if okay with Kyle :)

Fine with me :D
Tim-Oliver Wagner
(Group Master - 2)

Germany 
Certified: 
Old post #11 posted Feb 5th 2016, 22:27:57 Quote 
##Join Minardi
Mairo Toom
(Group Pro - 14)

Estonia 
Certified: 
Old post #12 posted Feb 5th 2016, 22:28:47 (last edited Feb 5th 2016, 22:29:07 by Mairo Toom) Quote 
Aaaand the Constructors title is decided :D

Edit.
Pardon...
Quote ( Jonathan Beagles @ February 5th 2016,22:01:27 )

PLEASE DO NOT SPAM THIS THREAD UNTIL SIGN-UP IS COMPLETE! Otherwise it will be less clear as to what is going on for any newcomers, especially if they are having to search through posts.
Jun Ho
(Group Rookie - 243)

Hong Kong 
Certified: 
Old post #13 posted Feb 5th 2016, 23:43:39 Quote 
##Join LEC Refrigeration
Dominik Karda
(Group Amateur - 78)

Czech Republic 
Certified: 
Old post #14 posted Feb 6th 2016, 00:14:05 Quote 
##Create/Join Arrows
Gary Harding
(Group Rookie - 93)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #15 posted Feb 6th 2016, 00:59:23 Quote 
##join trojan
Cristian Morales
(Group Rookie - 192)

Argentina 
Certified: 
Old post #16 posted Feb 6th 2016, 01:06:53 Quote 
##join Lancia
Mikko Suhonen
(Group Amateur - 122)

Finland 
Certified: 
Old post #17 posted Feb 6th 2016, 01:16:45 Quote 
##Join Toyota
Teemu Toikka
(Group Amateur - 7)

Finland 
Certified: 
Old post #18 posted Feb 6th 2016, 01:24:53 Quote 
##Join Tyrrell
Kashvinder Mann
(Group Pro - 5)

Singapore 
Certified: 
Old post #19 posted Feb 6th 2016, 02:37:57 Quote 
Alright, QRO is back! :)

##Join Red Bull
Jonathan Beagles
(Group Retired)

Topic mod
England 
Certified: 
Old post #20 posted Feb 6th 2016, 10:43:29 (last edited Feb 6th 2016, 14:09:28 by Jonathan Beagles) Quote 
Quote ( Jason Mathias @ February 6th 2016,07:30:06 )

#Join Force India

You can either wait until all teams are filled and then re-post this, or join one of the above teams.
Rafael Mantovani
(Group Pro - 21)

Brazil 
Certified: 
Old post #21 posted Feb 6th 2016, 10:53:14 (last edited Feb 6th 2016, 10:54:46 by Rafael Mantovani) Quote 
I'll ##join But no team yet.
I've been playing on a one-man team for the last two seasons (and God knows how I got top 10 on both) so I'm looking for a teammate :)
Michał Kożuchowski
(Group Rookie - 272)

Poland 
Certified: 
Old post #22 posted Feb 6th 2016, 11:07:41 Quote 
##join

looking for a teammate

Also did the rules change? They seem more complicated to what I remember it was before?
Jonathan Beagles
(Group Retired)

Topic mod
England 
Certified: 
Old post #23 posted Feb 6th 2016, 11:27:04 Quote 
Quote ( Michał Kożuchowski @ February 6th 2016,11:07:41 )

Also did the rules change? They seem more complicated to what I remember it was before?

We've gone back to the original rules - more F1 style than speedway style :)
Andrei Ciuchi
(Group Retired)

GPRO Crew
Romania 
Certified: 
Old post #24 posted Feb 6th 2016, 14:06:23 Quote 
Would've loved to join, except that's smack down in my dinner range. So ... sorry, but no. :(
Finn Shaw-McIver
(Group Pro - 1)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #25 posted Feb 6th 2016, 14:20:18 Quote 
#join Tyrrell
István Adorján
(Group Amateur - 113)

Hungary 
Certified: 
Old post #26 posted Feb 6th 2016, 14:26:11 Quote 
#Join Arrows
Mike Baston
(Group Pro - 21)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #27 posted Feb 6th 2016, 14:30:38 Quote 
Would love to join this but cannot make the game time on a regular enough basis. :(
Wopke Hoekstra
(Group Amateur - 64)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #28 posted Feb 6th 2016, 14:31:12 Quote 
#Join Stebro

I don't want to win ;)
Andreas Ramann
(Group Amateur - 69)

Estonia 
Certified: 
Old post #29 posted Feb 6th 2016, 17:19:30 Quote 
#Join Toyota, if it's okay Mikko. :)

I try to not miss the race time as I usually can't be on time, but it lasts only a hour so I'll try my best.
Marcus Probert
(Group Rookie - 251)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #30 posted Feb 6th 2016, 17:22:02 Quote 
##Join
Not a clue what team I'm gonna join, anyone want a teammate who probably won't be very good XD
Page [12 3 ... 59 60 61 » Quick go to page:
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Forum games > QRO Season 9 [Season Over] Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist

Reply to this topic