Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > General forum > Removing the 'Thumbs Down' for a better Forum Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist
Page « 1 2 3 4 [56 7 » Quick go to page:
Author Topic: Removing the 'Thumbs Down' for a better Forum 185 replies
Luke Frost
(Group Amateur - 22)

Australia 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #120 posted Sep 2nd 2016, 13:35:58 Quote 
Adrian, we are alive for a short period of time in comparison to how long conscious beings have been living on this planet. We learn things in such a rapid way that if any of us met the 18 year old version of ourselves anywhere from 1 day to 30 Years later, we would fight the urge to kill them. Its natural in life. I want you to accept my apology for the things I did at that age and I completely understand if you don't, but I also want you to understand that I'm doing everything I can to be the most empathetic, compassionate, funniest, intelligent and best person I can be, just like everyone else.I regret past choices but its all about the future and my future is bright because I recognize these things
Adrian Summers
(Group Pro - 13)

United States 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #121 posted Sep 3rd 2016, 00:37:06 Quote 
I accept your apology, but there really isn't any need for you to apologize. It's just the nature of outspoken characters on a forum, their past statements are not soon forgotten. Just ask Finn, who has and probably still will catch hell for the things he said in the past. I wish you nothing but the best of luck, and a future so bright, you gotta wear shades.

As for thumbs down, they probably bring in a bit of money to the game. Surely Roland would say it would be a bad business decision to get rid of them.
Stuart Foster
(Group Amateur - 88)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #122 posted Sep 3rd 2016, 00:53:11 (last edited Sep 3rd 2016, 00:58:45 by Stuart Foster) Quote 
30 thumb views per day = +1,000 euros per year.

Actually, that's probably a lot higher than what the real average is given that only supporters have access. If it's less than 10 per day then there's certainly more to lose in keeping them really. Greater traffic and general atmosphere of the forum has its own price.

Roland Postle10
(Group Elite)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #123 posted Sep 3rd 2016, 01:35:11 Quote 
There are probably more profitable and positive ways to monetise a forum. But I despise micropayments in general cos I like to relax and just play a game or read a forum when I'm doing those things, and not have to make a constant stream of very slightly stressful financial decisions. So I'm not going to suggest any
Adrian Summers
(Group Pro - 13)

United States 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #124 posted Sep 3rd 2016, 02:49:43 (last edited Sep 3rd 2016, 02:51:32 by Adrian Summers) Quote 
LOL It was actually just a joking way to bring my post into the vicinity of the topic.
Andrey Baydin
(Group Amateur - 87)

Russian Federation 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #125 posted Sep 3rd 2016, 11:55:24 (last edited Sep 3rd 2016, 11:55:58 by Andrey Baydin) Quote 
Quote ( Tim Wagner @ September 2nd 2016,11:02:11 )

Have you seen any reason on this thread that justifies them? I haven't. Graham's was about the best and that is nothing

Quote ( Tim Wagner @ September 2nd 2016,11:02:11 )

I need them to express my opinion/point of view"(which pressing a thumb isn't,

Well, if you decided so.

The reasons to keep the thumbs are pretty valid to some people.

I agree they should be free, that`d make things better.

Like, someone who is actually arsed all that much could PM every downthumber and ask him for a reason. Rafa would do that I imagine :)
Matthieu Trexate
(Group Amateur - 53)

France 
Certified: 
Old post #126 posted Sep 3rd 2016, 13:03:10 Quote 
(TROLL) Why not add a "remove thumbs down for supporter credits" feature ?
Andrey Baydin
(Group Amateur - 87)

Russian Federation 
Certified: 
Old post #127 posted Sep 3rd 2016, 13:10:37 (last edited Sep 3rd 2016, 13:11:10 by Andrey Baydin) Quote 
Because its cheap.
Actually thats the primary reason I`d like them to be revealed for free. Just not a classy move I think.
Javier Caceres
(Group Amateur - 75)

Argentina 
Certified: 
Old post #128 posted Sep 3rd 2016, 13:17:07 Quote 
im go to drink a beer and see whats happen
Tim Wagner
(Group Master - 2)

Germany 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #129 posted Sep 6th 2016, 01:14:42 (last edited Sep 6th 2016, 01:36:46 by Tim Wagner) Quote 
Quote ( Andrey Baydin @ September 3rd 2016,11:55:24 )

Well, if you decided so.

The reasons to keep the thumbs are pretty valid to some people.

Well, expressing an opinion or a point of view should by default not be doable without the usage of words.

But even if, what is the reasoning that people need their judgemental tools around here in comparision to all the negativity it creates?
Daniel Douglas
(Group Pro - 1)

United States 
Certified: 
Like this post (5)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #130 posted Sep 6th 2016, 01:48:10 (last edited Sep 6th 2016, 01:49:01 by Daniel Douglas) Quote 
Quote ( Tim Wagner @ September 6th 2016,01:14:42 )

Well, expressing an opinion or a point of view should by default not be doable without the usage of words

Both or none then. But requiring words to express an opinion is in itself your own opinion.

I personally dont understand the whole "a little graphic causes tons of negativity and ruins the forum" theory, but that's my opinion.

In certain places (such as the first post of a newbie thread) the thumbs have no place. But i think that in other areas of the forum they are perfectly fine to have. If anything it keeps negativity in the forum down, by relegating some trolls to pressing a button instead of posting.

I think that people just get their panties in a wad over a stupid little graphic.... it's a thumb, someone didn't agree with you for whatever reason. They decided that the stupid little graphic was the best way to express their opinion. I see no reason why that should be denied to people who wish to use it in that way.
Eduardo Sanchez Carenzo
(Group Pro - 24)

Mexico 
Certified: 
Old post #131 posted Sep 6th 2016, 02:24:58 Quote 
Quote ( Daniel Douglas @ September 6th 2016,01:48:10 )

by relegating some trolls to pressing a button instead of posting.

Daniel

Trolls will always be Trolls, and they will post with or without thumbs, trolls require to be recognized as posters or even as "know" trolls, and since they are seeking recognition they won't do it anonymously.

Sure they will press the button but that won't keep them from talking or even claiming that they thumbed up/down.

The concern mostly is when people prefer to press a button rather than stating their opinions or use it as abuse, disliking the poster just because of who he is
Daniel Douglas
(Group Pro - 1)

United States 
Certified: 
Like this post (3)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #132 posted Sep 6th 2016, 02:38:24 Quote 
Quote ( Eduardo Sanchez Carenzo @ September 6th 2016,02:24:58 )

The concern mostly is when people prefer to press a button rather than stating their opinions or use it as abuse, disliking the poster just because of who he is

And what exactly is the concern there?

What does it matter? Why are people so vain as to be worried about a stupid graphic in a forum?

Fact is, the vain ones feed into the trolls by constantly complaining about receiving a down thumb here or a down thumb there.

In fact, the opposite could easily be said to be true .... I'm sure there are people who are much more likely to up thumb people they like. If down thumbs bring negativity to the forum .... are you saying that up thumbs create positivity even though they do not encourage any discussion?

It's just such a ridiculous notion that these down thumbs are creating a negative environment. It is people that create a negative environment, and it is people who feed trolls that allow them to grow. Thumbs are just a method of expression, both positive and negative.

As I said, people need to stop getting their panties in a wad about a stupid graphic.
Eduardo Sanchez Carenzo
(Group Pro - 24)

Mexico 
Certified: 
Old post #133 posted Sep 6th 2016, 02:52:45 Quote 
At least the problem that I see here is that people prefer to thumb down/up rather than expressing their opinions, thus it removes content from the thread.

Many people to click and "express" their opinion rather than writing it. Call it writing or English skills or simple laziness.

But also you will find quite a few people that even lacking those english/writing skills will just thumb down someone that has made an effort to write in the majority of the cases in their non native tongue.

In a way thumbs also feed the trolls, since they will bully more someone that has more thumbs down or they will be reinforced to act the same since they get thumbed up/down, (it doesn't matter to them they only seek recognition).

So basically in a way Thumbs up/down can be used for bullying, reduce the participation in the forums and feed the trolls.

And yes, you are right, Thumbs up can increase discussion though I really prefer it to be done verbally. (I also hate those "+1" posts)

That is basically my opinion, and I don't need to use try to abuse people just because of what they think is not the same as mine.

Ken Neihart
(Group Pro - 4)

United States 
Certified: 
Like this post (7)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #134 posted Sep 6th 2016, 05:10:34 Quote 
wow...Now a thumbs down is considered "bullying"?

This world has lost it.
Michael Winkley
(Group Master - 3)

Wales 
Certified: 
Like this post (3)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #135 posted Sep 6th 2016, 08:01:42 Quote 
How do you hitch a ride without thumbs?

Martti Kaasik
(Group Pro - 23)

Estonia 
Certified: 
Old post #136 posted Sep 6th 2016, 08:02:13 Quote 
Quote ( Eduardo Sanchez Carenzo @ September 6th 2016,02:52:45 )

But also you will find quite a few people that even lacking those english/writing skills will just thumb down someone that has made an effort to write in the majority of the cases in their non native tongue.

So we should give people thumbs up just for the effort of writing even if the idea is bad?
For me it seems bit 1 grade attitude.
Adrian Summers
(Group Pro - 13)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #137 posted Sep 6th 2016, 08:27:38 Quote 
Quote ( Martti Kaasik @ September 6th 2016,08:02:13 )

For me it seems bit 1 grade attitude.
On the GPRO forum? Never heard of such.
Quote ( Martti Kaasik @ September 6th 2016,08:02:13 )

How do you hitch a ride without thumbs?
And how would the driver drive?
Bernardus May
(Group Pro - 11)

Portugal 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #138 posted Sep 7th 2016, 18:19:20 Quote 
Quote ( Adrian Summers @ September 6th 2016,08:27:38 )

And how would the driver drive?

I believe drivers drive better with their thumbs up than with their thumbs down.
I would like to see someone beat a track record with their thumbs down.

On topic, another idea would be to implement a facebook feedback style, where people can express through facial expressions and thumbs, but without a direct "negative/pull down" meaning.
Adrian Summers
(Group Pro - 13)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #139 posted Sep 8th 2016, 09:18:26 (last edited Sep 8th 2016, 09:18:55 by Adrian Summers) Quote 
Quote ( Bernardus May @ September 7th 2016,18:19:20 )

I believe drivers drive better with their thumbs up than with their thumbs down.

http://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Mb8723a8e262d14ad6f2fd29dd...
Mikko Heikkinen
(Group Pro - 4)

Finland 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #140 posted Sep 11th 2016, 16:05:03 (last edited Sep 11th 2016, 16:23:03 by Mikko Heikkinen) Quote 
Quote ( Bernardus May @ September 7th 2016,18:19:20 )

On topic, another idea would be to implement a facebook feedback style, where people can express through facial expressions and thumbs

Surely You are aware that the FB "emotions" is just another scheme to gather more specific information about you than just the up/down thumb or a simple "like/follow" button

and even if you click the least happy expression, it's still considered as +1

Besides, Gpro forum search shows posts in the order of posting time, NOT in the order of most jokes written in the thread

as biggest joker might get thumbs, but might not be on topic at all, it would be pointless to orders results that way

So, I'd say: No thanks.
Stuart Foster
(Group Rookie - 5)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #141 posted Sep 12th 2016, 17:35:13 (last edited Sep 12th 2016, 17:36:30 by Stuart Foster) Quote 
thumbs up Mikko...didn't wanna thumb...you know...just in case :D
Robert Kearney
(Group Pro - 9)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (5)   Dislike this post (19)
Old post #142 posted Jan 28th 2017, 18:57:37 (last edited Jan 28th 2017, 19:01:37 by Robert Kearney) Quote 
Telling off from Kevin Parkinson our forum mod today because I informed people that he had posted a thumb on my post.

Whether it's good forum "etiquette" or not I am not sure.

But I read through the game rules and found nothing about this anywhere :

Any user, who is registered and approved by the administrators, is entitled to use the forums. The official language of the forums is English. Other languages may be spoken in the foreign language forums only. The rules for the forum are:

• No offensive, rude or discriminatory language
• No insulting or harassment of other managers
• No religious, political or otherwise inappropriate material
• No discussions related to illegal distribution or use of copyrighted material
• No advertisements (unless previously approved by the GPRO Crew)
• No posting of referral links of any kind
• Do not attempt to circumvent posting about, or linking to, blacklisted sites
• No revealing detailed information about the game
• Do not post private messages on the forums without prior consent of the sender
• Do not post on behalf of other managers - all are free to make their own posts unless currently banned from a thread or the full forum, and if they are banned their posts are not permitted, even through another party
• No blatant posting of off topic material in threads
• Post threads in the appropriate forum
• Keep the Newbie Forum as factually accurate as possible and always on topic
• Individual forums (such as Newbie, Team Recruitment and Suggestion) have their own specific guidelines/rules which can be found at the top of the list when these forums are viewed so please familiarize yourself with these before posting in these forums
• No double account accusations or discussion of actual or perceived double accounts, past or present (if you have suspicions of a double account, contact Mr Shadow directly)
• Backseat modding is not allowed; do not reprimand fellow managers for their forum behavior and if you feel a forum rule was broken, consult a mod
• No forum spamming or pointless posts
• Use good forum etiquette including, but not limited to, avoiding shouting (using all capitals) and avoiding consecutive posts when an edit is suitable
• Always follow instructions given to you by any member of the Crew with regards to forum and mailbox behavior
• The moderator's decision is final

Now Mr Dictatorson might wish to circumvent this and hide behind the last two points but I see no reason why somebody can post thumbs up or down, people pay for the privilege of seeing it and then can't actually post it when there are no rules to govern it at all........ Anywhere !

Ps nice knowing everybody.

PPS - these thumbs up or down should be got rid of, they create hassle and people just hide behind them without ever having a need to comment. So divisive.
Jon Day
(Group Amateur - 3)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #143 posted Jan 28th 2017, 19:05:01 (last edited Jan 28th 2017, 19:14:07 by Jon Day) Quote 
Quote ( Robert Kearney @ January 28th 2017,18:57:37 )

these thumbs up or down should be got rid of, they create hassle
Alternativley, you just take them for what they are.....Some person youve never met, clicks a picture of an orange thumb. Wow!

If someone clicking an orange thumb bothers you, I can tell you now, you wouldnt have lasted 5 minutes in my school. Each to their own though I suppose.
Mike Brummert
(Group Pro - 2)

United States 
Certified: 
Like this post (4)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #144 posted Jan 28th 2017, 19:13:54 Quote 
You can solve this problem by ignoring the thumbs if you don't like them. Getting rid of them won't stop people from disliking your post, it will just stop you from knowing about it. So, same as just ignoring them. Only you're forcing everyone else to not be able to use or see them.
Robert Kearney
(Group Pro - 9)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #145 posted Jan 28th 2017, 19:14:22 (last edited Jan 28th 2017, 19:42:09 by Kevin Parkinson) Quote 
Haven't really got much of an issue with the thumb up or down..... It's the fact that when I highlight who that person was he takes umbrage and hides behind some fictional rule to say otherwise and then delete my post.

Truly not bothered if 'anybody' posts but because I highlighted the fact that he was retired really got to him I think.

Hence :

"As someone else stated in thread, revealing who has used the thumbs on the public forum is not permitted. Please do not do it again.

On your actual point, I don't see the relevance at all of me racing or not on me having an opinion on posts on the forum and will use the thumb system as it is intended and thumb up posts I particularly agree with and thumb down those that do not, as every forum user is perfectly entitled to do. If you have an issue with the thumb system, please take your issue to the admins or discuss it in the appropriate thread (there is one out there that discusses removing it). "

(Mod note: Permission to post my PM in the public forum (retroactively) granted)
Fernando Garcia
(Group Amateur - 67)

Brazil 
Certified: 
Old post #146 posted Jan 28th 2017, 19:16:34 Quote 
Quote ( Daniel Douglas @ September 6th 2016,02:38:24 )

What does it matter? Why are people so vain as to be worried about a stupid graphic in a forum?

Fact is, the vain ones feed into the trolls by constantly complaining about receiving a down thumb here or a down thumb there.

In fact, the opposite could easily be said to be true .... I'm sure there are people who are much more likely to up thumb people they like. If down thumbs bring negativity to the forum .... are you saying that up thumbs create positivity even though they do not encourage any discussion?

It's just such a ridiculous notion that these down thumbs are creating a negative environment. It is people that create a negative environment, and it is people who feed trolls that allow them to grow. Thumbs are just a method of expression, both positive and negative.

As I said, people need to stop getting their panties in a wad about a stupid graphic.
Mike Brummert
(Group Pro - 2)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #147 posted Jan 28th 2017, 19:17:26 Quote 
So, you want to be able to tell everyone about who doesn't like your posts?

Daniel Douglas
(Group Pro - 3)

United States 
Certified: 
Like this post (6)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #148 posted Jan 28th 2017, 19:20:54 Quote 
Quote ( Fernando Garcia @ January 28th 2017,19:16:34 )

I couldn't have said it better myself!

oh wait
Robin Goodey
(Group Elite)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (6)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #149 posted Jan 28th 2017, 19:21:19 (last edited Jan 28th 2017, 19:22:44 by Robin Goodey) Quote 
Quote ( Robert Kearney @ January 28th 2017,18:57:37 )

• Do not post private messages on the forums without prior consent of the sender

Quote ( Robert Kearney @ January 28th 2017,19:14:22 )

Hence :

"As someone else stated in thread, revealing who has used the thumbs on the public forum is not permitted. Please do not do it again.

On your actual point, I don't see the relevance at all of me racing or not on me having an opinion on posts on the forum and will use the thumb system as it is intended and thumb up posts I particularly agree with and thumb down those that do not, as every forum user is perfectly entitled to do. If you have an issue with the thumb system, please take your issue to the admins or discuss it in the appropriate thread (there is one out there that discusses removing it). "

Hhhhmmmmmmmmmm

Loving the irony of posting the forum rules and then blatantly breaking one in the next post...... ;)
Page « 1 2 3 4 [56 7 » Quick go to page:
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > General forum > Removing the 'Thumbs Down' for a better Forum Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist

Reply to this topic