Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Forum games > GPRO - The Alternative E.P.L. - Season 3 Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist
Page « 1 2 3 ... 24 25 [26 Quick go to page:
Author Topic: GPRO - The Alternative E.P.L. - Season 3 771 replies
Ralf Kutowsky
(Group Amateur - 48)

Germany 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #751 posted May 12th 2019, 20:16:58 Quote 
An idea for the next season: Place table plus place most correct results will give a sum.
Who has the lowest amount is allowed to choose a team first.
My total would be 9 (8 + 1). Just an idea......

Congratz to George and thanks to Alan.

Alan Halford
(Group Amateur - 39)

Topic mod
Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #752 posted May 13th 2019, 00:48:44 Quote 
Quote ( Ralf Kutowsky @ May 12th 2019,20:16:58 )

An idea for the next season: Place table plus place most correct results will give a sum.
Who has the lowest amount is allowed to choose a team first.
My total would be 9 (8 + 1). Just an idea......

Have looked at similar and there are several that come out with the same score.... plus what about new joiners as there may be some....where do they slot in.

I do have a little time to think about this, so keep the ideas coming. I want it to be as fair as it can be without stopping people from joining.
George Togas
(Group Master - 3)

Greece 
Certified: 
Old post #753 posted May 13th 2019, 00:59:36 Quote 
Just exclude the top 4 teams from being picked again by the same manager.
I play 2 seasons with City which you know it is somehow unfair (for these seasons at least).
Alan Halford
(Group Amateur - 39)

Topic mod
Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #754 posted Jun 2nd 2019, 20:51:04 Quote 
We now have the line up for the Premiership which looks like this

ARSENAL

ASTON VILLA

BOURNEMOUTH

BRIGHTON

BURNLEY

CHELSEA

CRYSTAL PALACE

EVERTON

LEICESTER

LIVERPOOL

MAN CITY

MAN UTD

NEWCASTLE

NORWICH

SHEFF UTD

SOUTHAMPTON

TOTTENHAM

WATFORD

WEST HAM

WOLVES

So the next season will start some time in Early August - but we have a couple of decisions to make before that commences.

I don't want to change the game massively as it still works quite well but in response to some of the comments , the most important 2 questions are

"Missing choices" and "Who picks what team"

so we have the choices as follows:-

suggestion from George Togas - Have you ever thought of random picks for the teams that don't post their picks or have no manager?

Missing Teams in choices

a) The lowest 5 teams in the Premiership will be entered for every MISSING selection each week. This will put extra emphasis on each manager making his/her best possible choice each week

b) The top 5 Away teams (whatever they are) in each fixture list will be entered for every MISSING selection each week. This will put extra emphasis on each manager making his/her best possible choice each week

c) Scores will be left (and not ZEROED) for every MISSING selection each week as they do get goals and it has been possible for picked teams to lose

suggestion from Martin Irla - All managers already playing the game have first picks in a random way…All new managers pick the ones after that are already in the game ...

Who chooses what team

a) The top 6 teams are excluded from being picked again by the same manager. i.e. Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal, Man Utd. (Details will be worked out and published when I know entrants) Gives everyone else a chance for good teams.

b) All managers who have played recently, will get 1st choice - then new managers pick theirs. (a little biased to an extent but rewards loyalty)

c) ALL managers joining pick a random number 1 - 20 and have whatever team it represents, they make the best of it. (For my choice - someone else would pick my random number) an element of luck to an extent

I will need as many as are interested to give me their choices for both questions above and I will go with whatever the majority decide.

Rather than just 1 choice, please give me your 1st 2nd and 3rd choice for both questions so hopefully it will give a more rounded result. You can post here if you wish or PM me your choices depending on whether or not you want people to see them.

I will send a reminder to everyone who has played to see if they wish to vote/send their feedback.

Stuart Foster
(Group Amateur - 86)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #755 posted Jun 2nd 2019, 21:42:11 (last edited Jun 2nd 2019, 21:42:59 by Stuart Foster) Quote 
First things first, great job hosting the game Alan. FWIW, I still tend to think that splitting the game in Half with the first season up to Christmas and the second season in the New Year is better in terms of keeping everyone involved and avoiding drop-out fatigue among players. The PL season usually hits the mid-point either on Boxing Day or New Years day. But in any case, you do a fantastic job with it :) Now onto these points of interest from me :

Quote ( Alan Halford @ June 2nd 2019,20:51:04 )

The top 6 teams are excluded from being picked again by the same manager

If you want to make it really interesting, how about go one step further and excluding them completely, and instead replace them with the 3 highest Championship sides from last season who did not promote ( Derby, Leeds and West Brom) and the 3 teams who relegated from the EPL (Cardiff, Fulham and Huddersfield). Essentially all you are then doing is levelling out the competition. That would make things a lot more interesting, though would mean you need to iinclude the games of those 6 championship sides (which may or may not be bothersome).

Or you could just not allow the big 6 to be represented by any manager, but can still be picked as part of the weekly picks by players. That would mean you shrink to a 14 player game though.

================================

Quote ( Alan Halford @ June 2nd 2019,20:51:04 )

c) Scores will be left (and not ZEROED) for every MISSING selection each week as they do get goals and it has been possible for picked teams to lose

The reason why zero works more fairly is because it is the net same effect for everyone in that scenario. As soon as you do something random that can cause a different result, then of course you accept that the outcomes can be widely different. That's fine if people would prefer it to be randomized somewhat, but remember this is for people with MISSING selections. So, the question then is...are people happy for someone to "luck in" in that circumstance? Cos that can happen. My personal viewpoint is that by keeping it as it was, it is then the same for all in that scenario.

Liviu Sandu
(Group Amateur - 47)

Romania 
Certified: 
Old post #756 posted Jun 3rd 2019, 06:38:45 Quote 

Everyone can choose a team as in the past, but drastically reduce the importance of the chosen team so that they do not make a difference at the end. This requires minor changes and less effort on the part of the organizer.
Keith Partridge
(Group Amateur - 91)

Wales 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #757 posted Jun 3rd 2019, 14:06:58 (last edited Jun 3rd 2019, 14:07:25 by Keith Partridge) Quote 
Ok My views... firm believer in the "if it aint broke do not fix it!!" camp... so no need in my mind for major alterations.

Votes from the Partridge jury

Missing Teams in choices

Of the options available, a) ( The lowest 5 teams in the Premiership will be entered for every MISSING selection each week) is the best IMHO. Let's be honest if you end up every week with Sheff United Villa Brighton Norwich and Newcastle you are going to start picking again quickly - if not maybe points deductions if more than 3 weeks are missed??

Who chooses what team

Again Option a is the best although it would not be fair to prevent George (as an example) from picking a diferent "Big 5" (I do not include ManU) team. I can see the problem the changes are trying to address but would prefer to see a change where less weight is given to the teams result and more to the selections (I think that is Liviu's point above). But I do not think it is that much of a problem... yes George/Man City won the title but if the Big 5 really had that much advantage then they would have filled the top places and players like Robin at Southampton, Attila at West Ham ( and yes me at Cardiff) would not have been in the top 6.

I do like the idea of rewarding loyalty though with first choce at teams. And much as I like Stuart's idea of including the Championship that would make it too complcated I suspect
Alan Halford
(Group Amateur - 39)

Topic mod
Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #758 posted Jun 3rd 2019, 17:28:02 Quote 
Quote ( Keith Partridge @ June 3rd 2019,14:06:58 )

Championship that would make it too complcated I suspect

Oh yes it would as I cannot see Cardiff or Fulham playing Man City or Liverpool anytime next season and as I have already proved, you need each week to have FULL fixtures otherwise it does not work.
Alan Halford
(Group Amateur - 39)

Topic mod
Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #759 posted Jul 2nd 2019, 00:58:50 Quote 
We are getting close to the start of the new season ( for which I will create a new thread) so I now need opinions on 1 choice.

I have already gone with MISSING TEAMS as

The lowest 5 teams in the Premiership will be entered for every MISSING selection each week. This will put extra emphasis on each manager making his/her best possible choice each week

but need your decision on how we choose a team. There are a few options

a) The top 4 teams from last season are excluded from being picked again by the same manager. i.e. ....... Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham
b) All managers who have played recently, will get to choose first - maybe not 1st choice - and then new managers pick theirs.
c) All managers joining pick a random number 1 - 20 and have whatever team it represents, they have to make the best of it. (For my choice - someone else would pick my random number)

Please indicate which is your preference and I will go with the majority choice. I will send reminders out to those who played last season.
Liviu Sandu
(Group Rookie - 25)

Romania 
Certified: 
Old post #760 posted Jul 2nd 2019, 05:29:19 Quote 
#Join Man Utd
Alan Halford
(Group Amateur - 39)

Topic mod
Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #761 posted Jul 2nd 2019, 07:13:30 Quote 
Quote ( Liviu Sandu @ July 2nd 2019,05:29:19 )

#Join Man Utd

This is not the thread for joining Liviu - so you cannot pick your team yet as this thread is for voting on how we choose the teams first.

I shall create a new thread for joining and picking your team
George Togas
(Group Pro - 19)

Greece 
Certified: 
Old post #762 posted Jul 2nd 2019, 07:46:23 Quote 
I vote a
But obviously we chose first as we "lose" our teams
Jens Frostrup
(Group Master - 5)

Denmark 
Certified: 
Old post #763 posted Jul 2nd 2019, 09:59:11 Quote 
I would prefer option C as this is most fair to all participants.
Keith Partridge
(Group Pro - 8)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #764 posted Jul 2nd 2019, 10:10:58 Quote 
Quote ( George Togas @ July 2nd 2019,07:46:23 )

I vote a
But obviously we chose first as we "lose" our teams

Agree with George....if you go with C some poor bugger will get Newcastle and they may as well quit now...
Robin Goodey
(Group Master - 2)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #765 posted Jul 2nd 2019, 10:31:50 Quote 
I'm going to pass on this next season, so ignore me ;)
Ralf Kutowsky
(Group Amateur - 48)

Germany 
Certified: 
Old post #766 posted Jul 2nd 2019, 10:57:05 Quote 
I am for B, because loyalty should be rewarded.
Peter Willmore
(Group Pro - 3)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #767 posted Jul 2nd 2019, 17:14:40 Quote 
I am not sure really but lean towards B

Gareth Griffiths
(Group Rookie - 142)

Canada 
Certified: 
Old post #768 posted Jul 2nd 2019, 18:44:20 Quote 
vote B
Mark Witney
(Group Amateur - 46)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #769 posted Jul 2nd 2019, 20:09:51 Quote 
I'll go with the majority, will win either way.... :P
Keith Partridge
(Group Pro - 8)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #770 posted Jul 2nd 2019, 20:35:37 Quote 
Bit confused how B would work... just a mad free for all between all of us who took part last season???

Nothing to stop the same people picking the Big 4 then
Alan Halford
(Group Amateur - 39)

Topic mod
Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #771 posted Jul 19th 2019, 16:29:12 Quote 
Just testing something

@Keith Partridge (P8)

Yup - it works
Alan Halford
(Group Amateur - 39)

Topic mod
Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #772 posted Jul 19th 2019, 17:04:21 Quote 
Calling all those that have played before or shown an interest - teams are going quickly

@Quentin Rieg (R72) @Gary Harding (Ret) @Jason Mathias (R110) @Paul Stickland (A89)

@Mark Witney (A46) @Charles Shaw (A67) @Gareth Griffiths (R142) @Stuart Foster (A86)

@Robin Goodey (M2) @Martin Irla (P4) @Richard Robin Paukson (P6) @Ángel Berrón (A10)

/gb/forum/ViewTopic.asp?TopicId=28907#scroll

Get to the thread and claim your team
Page « 1 2 3 ... 24 25 [26 Quick go to page:
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Forum games > GPRO - The Alternative E.P.L. - Season 3 Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist

Reply to this topic