Page « 1 [23 4 5 » Quick go to page:
Author Topic: [F1] 2019 season 120 replies
Jasper Coosemans1
(Group Pro - 18)

Belgium 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #31 posted Feb 1st 2019, 14:52:32 Quote 
The Sauber name has disappeared from the sport, the team is now known as Alfa Romeo Racing. I don't know why but I have instantly lost a chunk of sympathy for the team. :(
Perry Christensen
(Group Amateur - 8)

Denmark 
Certified: 
Old post #32 posted Feb 1st 2019, 15:48:02 Quote 
+1
Tom Byrne
(Group Rookie - 90)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #33 posted Feb 5th 2019, 10:27:32 Quote 
Baku will race until at least 2023 https://twitter.com/BakuCityCircuit/status/1092669232914022401
Paavo Kallio
(Group Rookie - 94)

Finland 
Certified: 
Old post #34 posted Feb 10th 2019, 15:32:51 Quote 
whew, just finished the day at factory, car unveiling tomorrow and not a second too early let me tell you...
Kyle Morris
(Group Amateur - 16)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #35 posted Feb 21st 2019, 15:56:27 Quote 
I tell you what, the driver suits are certainly a lot more better looking than the livery of the Williams
Jasper Coosemans1
(Group Pro - 18)

Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #36 posted Feb 21st 2019, 16:03:04 Quote 
I actually think the Williams looks pretty good on track. The initial computer renders were awful but its brightness on track is a very fine addition to the grid.
Kyle Morris
(Group Amateur - 16)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #37 posted Feb 21st 2019, 16:05:03 Quote 
I like now all the cars have a sort of distinct different colour now instead of a few having white/grey
Jed Howorth
(Group Amateur - 16)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #38 posted Feb 21st 2019, 16:07:16 Quote 
I think the Williams is pretty fine, shame we won't be seeing much of it.
Szymon Kuliszewski
(Group Amateur - 76)

Poland 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #39 posted Feb 21st 2019, 16:09:00 Quote 
I didnt like Williams' livery initially, but on track it looks a lot better. I mean on rare occassions it makes it out of garage that is.
Vin Struder
(Group Amateur - 71)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #40 posted Feb 21st 2019, 16:27:20 Quote 
Regarding how Williams looks on track? I don't know the correct word to use – flabbergasted/shocked - a professional racing team on the F1 circuit can't get their car delivered and on the track!

For me, it is hard to imagine that scenario. Can you imagine if the car did not show up for a race and they overlooked having all the necessary parts available to assemble their car?

It may look good on track, but in essence they lost 3 days of testing. They didn't even have time to do a shakedown and see if they had even assembled the car correctly. Their shakedown was on the track. "Okay driver – go do a few laps and we hope the car stays in one piece."

Fact is always stranger than fiction.
Kyle Morris
(Group Amateur - 16)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #41 posted Feb 21st 2019, 16:35:54 (last edited Feb 21st 2019, 16:36:33 by Kyle Morris) Quote 
Honestly I am flabbergasted also. I am almost certain that the car not being ready is just a cover up, I reckon something deep down is up. Financially? Who knows. Talks about lots of people not getting on with Paddy Lowe either do that could have something to do with it

It can't just be the car not being ready, especially when they can then turn up on the Wednesday
Jasper Coosemans1
(Group Pro - 18)

Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #42 posted Feb 21st 2019, 16:59:04 (last edited Feb 21st 2019, 17:00:09 by Jasper Coosemans) Quote 
Why exactly can't it be the car not being ready? We've seen it countless times before, just never before with Williams. And more importantly, why on earth would they choose to miss 2.5 days of testing on purpose?

About doing the shakedown during testing - the same was true for McLaren and RP. They had their first runs on Monday morning (resulting in only 30 laps of testing on Monday for RP. McLaren did manage 119 which is extraordinary).
Cale Murray
(Group Rookie - 36)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #43 posted Mar 3rd 2019, 02:14:43 (last edited Mar 3rd 2019, 02:15:36 by Cale Murray) Quote 
Barcelona qualifying times 2018 vs Testing times 2019

Ferrari 1.16.335 - 1.16.221
Mercedes 1.16.173 -1.16.224
Red bull 1.16.816 - 1.17.091
Haas 1.17.618 - 1.17.076
McLaren 1.17.721 - 1.16.913
Renault 1.17.790 - 1.16.843
T Rosso 1.18.463 - 1.16.882
R point 1.18.646 - 1.17.556
Alfa 1.18.681 - 1.17.239
Williams 1.19.965 - 1.18.130

Williams are 1.8 seconds faster then last year so being late was not terrible.
Eduardo Sanchez Carenzo
(Group Pro - 1)

Mexico 
Certified: 
Old post #44 posted Mar 3rd 2019, 02:50:49 Quote 
No if you consider being almost 2 aeconds slower as terrible (at least it is better than last year's 3 seconds

Stuart Foster
(Group Rookie - 156)

Wales 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #45 posted Mar 3rd 2019, 02:54:34 Quote 
'almost' 2 seconds? I guess it depends whether you compare the best williams time to the best Ferrari time or worst...which is almost three seconds.
Cale Murray
(Group Rookie - 36)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #46 posted Mar 3rd 2019, 05:15:35 Quote 
They improved 1.8 seconds that is massive you would think they would have a bigger gain to come as they didn't do the laps of the others I just hope it is as close as the times suggest having 14 cars within a second with Alfa just out side q 2 will be interesting.
Stuart Foster
(Group Rookie - 156)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #47 posted Mar 3rd 2019, 10:03:15 Quote 
This season we reaally need someone like McLaren, Renault, Alfa (or Williams...but probably not them...) to get amongst the big three. I'll be hoping for Red Bull's third spot to be challenged by at least Renault and McLaren in the first half of the season. Red Bull always do improve during the season though so you'd think they'll at least keep their third spot,but who knows. Ricciardo getting a podium or two would be my biggest hope for the season. And Kimi :)
Sam Wainwright
(Group Amateur - 7)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #48 posted Mar 3rd 2019, 10:05:32 Quote 
If you want a non big three teams podium I think a Haas podium in Australia may be your best bet.
Cale Murray
(Group Rookie - 36)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #49 posted Mar 3rd 2019, 10:08:48 Quote 
I think Haas are a little off I think Torro Rosso will be there abouts what do red bull do if kyvat out qualifies them ?

Remembering he was quick the 1st time in Torro Rosso
Sam Wainwright
(Group Amateur - 7)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #50 posted Mar 3rd 2019, 10:11:18 Quote 
I'm judging on last season tbh, it was a strong track for Haas and they tend to start quick.

Kvyat and Albon look rather even, but I don't think STR will be quite on that level.
Stuart Foster
(Group Rookie - 156)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #51 posted Mar 3rd 2019, 10:11:41 Quote 
Yeah but they're a boring team with a boring livery. There's zero charisma in general with them. Who actually likes them? Not one thing about the team is recognisably 'american'. They could at least have on of the big trucks they have over there taking the shit to races with..but no they have... https://www.flickr.com/photos/95735001@N08/38796284114 The only american thing I see going on is when Gene Haas makes the odd appearance.
Daniel Douglas
(Group Amateur - 26)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #52 posted Mar 3rd 2019, 10:31:41 (last edited Mar 3rd 2019, 10:33:27 by Daniel Douglas) Quote 
I doubt any of the american trucks would pass european emissions laws, plus you guys probably still have the old length laws in effect (at least thats why we used to have cab overs, once restrictions on rig length were relaxed we started building the regular cab trucks again... idk if thats the case there)

This is what one of their haulers looks like here: https://cdn-2.motorsport.com/static/img/mgl/1200000/1290000/...
Stuart Foster
(Group Rookie - 156)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #53 posted Mar 3rd 2019, 10:46:19 (last edited Mar 3rd 2019, 10:50:25 by Stuart Foster) Quote 
Man that truck looks so damn cool....I mean they should at least get something like that hauling the gear around. You're probably right, EU laws and such probably prevent it from being possible. I mean, those (supposedly american) coke trucks we have at Christmas that everyone seems to want to see, they're not actually any bigger than a standard haulage vehincle, nor is the cab anything like as fantastic as the one you posted...its just a truck with tree lights round it basically. But, I guess it does the job Coca-Cola want it to do ;)

Anyway, my only point really is Haas should strive to appeal to its home market a bit more. Its just my opinion really that they should at least try and look more cosmetically american than they are. If I was an american, I don't see how I'd have any kind of feeling towards the Haas team as such. At least, I am not seeing what is supposed to be american about the team, so dunno how anyone in America would...or maybe they do and I just don't see it :)

Jasper Coosemans1
(Group Pro - 18)

Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #54 posted Mar 3rd 2019, 12:51:36 Quote 
Quote ( Cale Murray @ March 3rd 2019,05:15:35 )

They improved 1.8 seconds that is massive

You are comparing to a qualifying session where Stroll crashed and Sirotkin abandoned his lap due to the resulting yellow flag.
Josh Clark
(Group Amateur - 80)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #55 posted Mar 3rd 2019, 13:01:20 Quote 
Quote ( Stuart Foster @ March 3rd 2019,10:03:15 )

This season we reaally need someone like McLaren, Renault, Alfa (or Williams...but probably not them...) to get amongst the big three. I'll be hoping for Red Bull's third spot to be challenged by at least Renault and McLaren in the first half of the season.

Red Bull's third spot eh... well after those two weeks of testing, it's not even certain if they will hold the third spot, or Mercedes will. Autosport are definitely on the side of there being a battle for the 2nd placed team rather than the first right now, which they're saying is definitely Ferrari.

This is how last season started though, with Ferrari being the better car for the first half of the season, then after the summer break Mercedes usurping them and leaving them for dust. But Autosport reckons they're at least half a second slower atm. It's testing so I don't really buy it. Hamilton will likely turn up in Melbourne and grab pole. But I agree, it'd be interesting for the midfield to get closer to the top.
Stuart Foster
(Group Rookie - 156)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #56 posted Mar 3rd 2019, 13:23:50 (last edited Mar 3rd 2019, 13:28:19 by Stuart Foster) Quote 
Either way, I'm not sure i'm looking forward to hearing an angry Max Verstappen at multiple races this season. And taking a few people with him. Probably. I mean, it will be funny the first few times Red Bull get a DNF, but by Monaco - or any race where Red Bull might expect to 'perform' - I think I will be switching off when either he or Horner get near a microphone!

Talking of which, I see Christian Horner having a pop at Daniel Ricciardo already for "running away from a fight" with Verstappen. Think such talk is premature tbh - certainly talk that made Horner sound confident that they will beat Renault. I'm sure they will over the length of the season. Maybe it was more that Ricciardo was running away from a fight for who can get the most DNFs though, just that choosing Renault as his destination was maybe not the best idea ever...Alfa Romeo might well have been a better choice. Choice being a prime word in F1 though I spose. This shit needs to be more entertaining going forward though. Midfield battles are nice, but we need contenders to emerge as genuine front running/race winning challengers. That has not happened since 2012. Time will tell I guess.

Jasper Coosemans1
(Group Pro - 18)

Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #57 posted Mar 3rd 2019, 13:30:32 (last edited Mar 3rd 2019, 13:31:40 by Jasper Coosemans) Quote 
Quote ( Josh Clark @ March 3rd 2019,13:01:20 )

This is how last season started though, with Ferrari being the better car for the first half of the season, then after the summer break Mercedes usurping them and leaving them for dust. But Autosport reckons they're at least half a second slower atm.

Hmm in their video yesterday they said around 3 tenths, not at least half a second. 3 tenths is not a lot in my opinion, it's within a range where you can say the track characteristics and weather conditions will be decisive.

They start discussing Mercedes after around 13 minutes.
Stuart Foster
(Group Rookie - 156)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #58 posted Mar 3rd 2019, 13:38:47 (last edited Mar 3rd 2019, 13:42:31 by Stuart Foster) Quote 
how can a team being ranked as 9th be called mid-pack. Or are we in a world of being afraid of calling a once great as being tail-end backmarkers. McLaren's problem is style over substance. Just look at those beanie hats they are wearing. Don't they look damn funky.
Daniel Douglas
(Group Amateur - 26)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #59 posted Mar 4th 2019, 02:43:10 Quote 
Quote ( Stuart Foster @ March 3rd 2019,10:46:19 )

I mean, those (supposedly american) coke trucks we have at Christmas that everyone seems to want to see, they're not actually any bigger than a standard haulage vehincle, nor is the cab anything like as fantastic as the one you posted...its just a truck with tree lights round it basically.

Are you talking about trucks like this: https://images.spot.im/v1/production/nepxocm3egz1vazcccvv

That's a pretty standard (minus the lights) type truck for here, most trucks look that way (and there are ton's of them, more of those on the highway than cars). I've never actually heard of the whole coke truck thing. We don't have that here.

Quote ( Stuart Foster @ March 3rd 2019,10:46:19 )

Anyway, my only point really is Haas should strive to appeal to its home market a bit more. Its just my opinion really that they should at least try and look more cosmetically american than they are. If I was an american, I don't see how I'd have any kind of feeling towards the Haas team as such. At least, I am not seeing what is supposed to be american about the team, so dunno how anyone in America would...or maybe they do and I just don't see it :)

I've never met a haas fan.

It's a different mindset here when it comes to racing fans. There is a higher importance placed on drivers as opposed to teams. For example, you won't find people saying "I'm a chevorlete fan" when it comes to nascar. It is wierd, as you will find people who hate ford cars/trucks for example... and constantly bash them... but will be a fan of a drivers in nascar who drives a ford.

Of course, with most racing forms here there isn't a single team racing a particular make. Instead there are multiple teams racing them. For example, nascar only has 3 types (ford chevrolet and toyota) but there are up to 43 cars in each race.

Even when it comes to F1 fans here, most I meet are fans of drivers as opposed to teams. So you might meet a vettel fan, or a hamilton fan ... but there is less importance placed on ferrari and mercedes. Generalized obviously as there are some of both, but for the most part that is the overwhelming racing culture here.
Riley Dunlop
(Group Amateur - 23)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #60 posted Mar 4th 2019, 08:35:09 Quote 
Quote ( Daniel Douglas @ March 4th 2019,02:43:10 )

It's a different mindset here when it comes to racing fans. There is a higher importance placed on drivers as opposed to teams. For example, you won't find people saying "I'm a chevorlete fan" when it comes to nascar. It is wierd, as you will find people who hate ford cars/trucks for example... and constantly bash them... but will be a fan of a drivers in nascar who drives a ford.

That's interesting - in Australia the whole Holden v Ford rivalry is HUGE
Page « 1 [23 4 5 » Quick go to page:

Reply to this topic