Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Off topic forum > Auto vs. Manual - Which occasion for each one ? Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist
Page [1
Author Topic: Auto vs. Manual - Which occasion for each one ? 4 replies
Norton Martins
(Group Rookie - 94)

Brazil 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #1 posted Jun 6th 2019, 17:37:55 Quote 
So, in my experience I've had two auto and a manual. The Manual is very fun to drive, altough there's the danger of miss-shifting and blowing the engine (there's a clutch for that tho). I think in corners manual provides better control over the vehicle if you know what you're doing (think all types of trannys, semi auto, clutch, paddle...) So, what is the advantage of auto, if any at all, in motorsports, and why does it include so much complex parts ? Also, still haven't grown over my hate for CVT, so if someone could explain to me why is the constant hurrr durr of the engine in a car of such type any good, please tell me aswell.
James Hitchen
(Group Master - 4)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #2 posted Jun 6th 2019, 18:20:24 Quote 
Paddle shifters in racing are chosen because they allow a much faster and reliable gear change, manual is hard to rev match and using the foot clutch takes considerably longer than flicking the paddle which will shift the gear instead. Personally I like paddle shifts. CVT allows the car to run at one RPM all the time meaning the engine can be optimised and purely based on this RPM without having to be able to work at a range of revs. Adrian Newey talked a bit about CVT in his book and gave a good summary of it. Automatics for racing are useless as you can’t use engine braking efficiently and it’s difficult to set-up to get the optimal gear ratio and shift point especially on a wet track or one with varying traction. I think CVT and paddle shifting are the best two systems with auto being the worst for setting up and fully manual with regular clutch being the slowest.

For road car? Manual all day everyday, if you have a low power car automatics aren’t fun
Riley Dunlop
(Group Amateur - 23)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #3 posted Jun 6th 2019, 18:24:09 Quote 
I drive an Audi RS3 and love the dual clutch auto gearbox. I have the paddle shift and it also has in effect a sequential gearbox
Alessio Girasole
(Group Amateur - 33)

Italy 
Certified: 
Like this post (6)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #4 posted Jun 6th 2019, 19:19:09 (last edited Jun 6th 2019, 19:21:24 by Alessio Girasole) Quote 
If it has manual gears it's a Car.

If it has automatic gears it's just a vehicle.
Jordan Owens
(Group Rookie - 164)

United States 
Certified: 
Like this post (3)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #5 posted Jun 6th 2019, 19:58:32 Quote 

Quote ( Alessio Girasole @ June 6th 2019,19:19:09 )

If it has manual gears it's a Car.If it has automatic gears it's just a vehicle.

I dare say I may be stealing this definition. That's spot on.
Page [1
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Off topic forum > Auto vs. Manual - Which occasion for each one ? Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist

Reply to this topic