Page « 1 2 3 [45 ... 22 23 24 » Quick go to page:
Author Topic: [F1] 2020 season 708 replies
Miguel Álvarez
(Group Rookie - 135)

Spain 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #91 posted May 16th 2020, 18:43:48 Quote 
Crazy idea: Vettel (german) to Mercedes (german) and Bottas to Renault

What do you think?
Peter Willmore
(Group Amateur - 13)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #92 posted May 16th 2020, 18:58:30 Quote 
No chance
Josh Clark
(Group Master - 4)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #93 posted May 16th 2020, 19:06:40 Quote 
I think it's an above 0 possibility. Certainly unlikely but very possible. Not a crazy idea at all. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen, as I don't see Vettel going to any other team than Merc or Renault at the moment.
Sudeep Pednekar
(Group Retired)

India 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #94 posted May 16th 2020, 19:09:02 Quote 
Vettel either goes to Renault or retires, he wouldn't want his ass handed to him by Hamilton.
Jaime Elizondo
(Group Rookie - 33)

Mexico 
Certified: 
Old post #95 posted May 16th 2020, 21:34:11 Quote 
Quote ( Sudeep Pednekar @ May 16th 2020,19:09:02 )

Vettel either goes to Renault or retires, he wouldn't want his ass handed to him by Hamilton.

I think is the other way, he goes to Mercedes or retires.
Better at least have a chance of winning than to be fighting mid-table.

Top drivers need to be in top teams, otherwise it destroys your career and makes you irrelevant.
Samuel Arthur
(Group Rookie - 98)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #96 posted May 16th 2020, 23:59:52 Quote 
Quote ( Jaime Elizondo @ May 16th 2020,21:34:11 )

Top drivers need to be in top teams, otherwise it destroys your career and makes you irrelevant.

This is such a good point watching the European GP 2012 Rewind today reminded me of what an amazing driver Vettel was back then and maybe a new team could help him gain some of that talent back but it would be heartbreaking if it he was just battling for 7th and end his career like Alonso or Raikkonen.
Sudeep Pednekar
(Group Retired)

India 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #97 posted May 17th 2020, 08:51:29 Quote 

I think is the other way, he goes to Mercedes or retires.
Better at least have a chance of winning than to be fighting mid-table.

He would want a last pay day, isn't he 33?

That has already happened due to the last 3 years or so.
Amitesh Patnaik
(Group Rookie - 52)

India 
Certified: 
Like this post (4)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #98 posted May 17th 2020, 12:46:09 Quote 
https://the-race.com/formula-1/graceless-renault-response-sh...

Found this cool article on my feed. Worth reading.
Luke Frost
(Group Rookie - 11)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #99 posted May 18th 2020, 15:44:15 (last edited May 18th 2020, 15:45:35 by Luke Frost) Quote 
Quote ( Amitesh Patnaik @ May 17th 2020,12:46:09 )

https://the-race.com/formula-1/graceless-renault-response-sh...

Found this cool article on my feed. Worth reading.

I guess it's typical of Renault and that dork in charge of them to be like that. Every year 'is the year to catch bigger teams' and they somehow convince drivers because of their massive budget they have but what do they achieve? Nothing! They should be apologizing publicly to Daniel for lying to him about Renault's true competitiveness....
(then again, he didn't make a great career choice. But IMO McLaren will be good for him, their new leader is pretty good based on what i saw on DTS)
Daniel Douglas
(Group Master - 5)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #100 posted May 18th 2020, 16:54:44 Quote 
Quote ( Luke Frost @ May 18th 2020,15:44:15 )

then again, he didn't make a great career choice

Debatable really.

He was in a situation similiar to Mark Webber with Vettel .... never really going to go anywhere stuck behind a clear #1

So it becomes either accept being a #2 driver and pick up the occasional win here and there .... or take a chance. With it being Renault I wouldn't have taken that chance personally, but they've won before so its hard to judge that.

I think its just too early in the team's development for a driver like Ricardo to be able to see the benefits.
Luke Frost
(Group Rookie - 11)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #101 posted May 18th 2020, 17:07:21 Quote 
Quote ( Daniel Douglas @ May 18th 2020,16:54:44 )

With it being Renault I wouldn't have taken that chance personally, but they've won before so its hard to judge that.

Yes they won before with Alonso at the wheel and after the regulations got them there and they were the lucky team of the year (in 05). They've been using those 2 titles as bargaining tools ever since and it's been 15 years. They've been crap ever since, but they have some great conman there to sell ice cubes to penguins all day long :D
Josh Clark
(Group Master - 4)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #102 posted May 18th 2020, 18:19:26 (last edited May 18th 2020, 18:19:49 by Josh Clark) Quote 
Speaking of Alonso and Renault, there are strong rumours for Liberty Media fronting a portion of the salary should Renault host Alonso's return for 2021. If this is true it seems like a no brainer for Renault.

Which would leave either Vettel or Bottas in a very unfortunate position.
Ferenc Lutter
(Group Rookie - 98)

Hungary 
Certified: 
Old post #103 posted May 18th 2020, 18:28:51 Quote 
Quote ( Josh Clark @ May 18th 2020,18:19:26 )

Would it be a loss for F1 and for us if Bottas leaves? He had his chance. He had great potential but he become grey at Williams. I think his best years has went away and he doesn't have a chance. Yeah it's unfortunate that Hamilton one of the sports legend is his teammate but he has to admit it's over!
However i don't see Vettel going to Mercedes as Hamilton is not going to let him be any threat to his position at the team.
Josh Clark
(Group Master - 4)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #104 posted May 18th 2020, 18:34:00 Quote 
I think as discussed before that Hamilton is fine with it. Toto is definitely looking at this as a good opportunity so it's certain that they're looking into it.

Of all the drivers in the grid I wouldn't have said Bottas deserved a front running car seat. He upped his game massively from the start of 2019 and definitely caught Hamilton off guard. But I think you're right in that he won't be missed. It would be sad for him to get dropped from the grid completely though, and if Vettel does take his seat it is extremely likely that this is what will happen.
Jasper Coosemans1
(Group Elite)

Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #105 posted May 18th 2020, 18:37:19 Quote 

Speaking of Alonso and Renault, there are strong rumours for Liberty Media fronting a portion of the salary should Renault host Alonso's return for 2021. If this is true it seems like a no brainer for Renault.

Seriously? And people think this would be legal?
Jaime Elizondo
(Group Rookie - 33)

Mexico 
Certified: 
Old post #106 posted May 18th 2020, 18:58:46 Quote 

And they're also probably pushing Mercedes to sign Vettel, the sport needs personalities, at the end of the day it's pure entertainment. And given the awful year they're about to have financially, they need something to compensate for all that.

What better than to start selling rivalries of world champions.

I'm all in for Liberty to get involved, it would be benefitial to all the fans.

Josh Clark
(Group Master - 4)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #107 posted May 18th 2020, 19:19:20 Quote 
Quote ( Jasper Coosemans @ May 18th 2020,18:37:19 )

Seriously? And people think this would be legal?

I agree with Jaime. But yeah it's pretty debatable whether it should be allowed or not. If anything it's extremely unfair to smaller teams who have to rely on feeding larger teams to be able to have good drivers, or simply getting lucky. LM paying larger teams to have notorious drivers is pretty disrespectful. I wouldn't be surprised if many teams vetoed this
Amitesh Patnaik
(Group Rookie - 52)

India 
Certified: 
Old post #108 posted May 18th 2020, 19:49:01 Quote 
I can not see Mercedes considering Vettel for a seat. He cracks under pressure and needs a team built around him to function at his best. Lewis Hamilton will definitely give him a hard time, and Merc won't be making him their #1. It would be better for him to retire. He has achieved more than most and I think that Ferrari has damaged his reputation enough.

As far as the seat is at Merc is concerned, won't it be amazing to have someone like Stoffel back?
I think he deserves another chance.
Josh Clark
(Group Master - 4)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #109 posted May 18th 2020, 20:36:48 Quote 
Quote ( Amitesh Patnaik @ May 18th 2020,19:49:01 )

As far as the seat is at Merc is concerned, won't it be amazing to have someone like Stoffel back?
I think he deserves another chance.

I agree, he was very repressed at McLaren I think. But from what he says about his time at McLaren and in F1 he probably won't go back, and Mercedes have too many drivers first in line for that seat.
Jasper Coosemans1
(Group Elite)

Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #110 posted May 18th 2020, 20:40:12 Quote 
Yes, I'd love for it to happen, but George Russell is evidently going to be in a Mercedes before Stoffel ever will, unless they need an in-season replacement (Stoffel is officially their reserve driver).
Luke Frost
(Group Rookie - 11)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #111 posted May 19th 2020, 02:19:37 (last edited May 19th 2020, 02:19:47 by Luke Frost) Quote 
Bottas shows glimpses of great driving ability actually, he can beat Hamilton when he gets the setup right but when Hamilton has his 'mega weekends' where he gets every point of setup and braking points (etc) perfect nobody can beat him and as time has gone on, those weekends are becoming more and more common. The Hamilton of recent years is a true once in a lifetime athlete. Bottas, may be top 5 in the field at all times and maybe he could win in another team if their design is good but if Mercedes dump him now he will be relegated to the lower teams or even put out of F1 altogether (probably going to E)
Seamus Barnsley
(Group Rookie - 132)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #112 posted May 19th 2020, 11:16:01 (last edited May 19th 2020, 11:16:26 by Seamus Barnsley) Quote 
what will ricciardo do to mclaren. they might start winning again if they have a good car
Roy Mitchell
(Group Amateur - 67)

Canada 
Certified: 
Old post #113 posted May 19th 2020, 17:24:19 Quote 
Ricciardo deserves a better car and the possibility of challenging for podiums. I hope he gets things turned around at McLaren.

Vettel is a ghost of himself. The bright lights have dimmed for him. It feels like he never really got a good handle on the hybrid machines. Going to an ailing Ferrari garage did not help, either.

Like buying a Ferrari and finding a speed limiter is installed.
Christopher Batchlor
(Group Retired)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #114 posted May 19th 2020, 18:46:22 Quote 
I do think that with Danny Ric going to McLaren, Smooth Operator replacing him, and Red Bull having just got a rhythm, Mercedes would need to lose all faith in Bottas overnight in order for them to even consider signing him. The only spot would probably be Renault, or Williams.
Luke Frost
(Group Rookie - 11)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #115 posted May 26th 2020, 09:46:48 Quote 
I'm pretty happy because McLaren's boss is allowing Ricciardo & Norris to participate in the Supercars Bathurst 1000, if everything falls together. That would be awesome :)
MG van Rensburg
(Group Amateur - 44)

South Africa 
Certified: 
Old post #116 posted May 26th 2020, 09:56:53 (last edited May 26th 2020, 10:00:29 by MG van Rensburg) Quote 
I've got one question about everything I've seen reported so far, the interviews etc etc.

Why are the media so dead set on misreporting everything, so dead set on pushing agenda's and what not and not actually reporting??

When did being a journalist become some of 'Reality TV director' job instead, where instead of reporting on the facts, as they are, they just keep trying to cause friction where there isn't, for 'entertainment' sake.

Why can't we simply have the truth anymore?

On a sidenote, I'd absolutely love to see Vettel and Hamilton in the same team. And no, not cause I foresee any drama, but actually, quite the opposite. Watching those guys interact over the years, reminds me of two genuine mates with alot of respect for eachother.

I bet, left to their own devices, those two would absolutely love racing together. Screw the media rubbish, I want my entertainment on track, not reality tv style drama, leave that for the WWE and Kardashian idjits.

Seriously, I'm no Hamilton fan, but how many times do people have to be told he has no interest in going to Ferrari, with a full explanation of why, and why he loves Mercedes, before any of it actually sinks in. Who saw the interview with Hamilton and Wolff? Now that was well done by the two of them, we got to see genuine humanity from both, and yet still, with all the clear reality, the media go berserk with agenda's and whatnot...

The fans so addicted to tv reality style drama, they froth at the mouth no matter what is said, so addicted to the rubbish.

Ah man... I seriously miss a genuine, worthy media and journalism.
Sam Wainwright
(Group Master - 2)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #117 posted May 26th 2020, 10:00:37 Quote 
Quote ( MG van Rensburg @ May 26th 2020,09:56:53 )

I've got one question about everything I've seen reported so far, the interviews etc etc.

Why are the media so dead set on misreporting everything, so dead set on pushing agenda's and what not and not actually reporting??

When did being a journalist become some of 'Reality TV director' job instead, where instead of reporting on the facts, as they are, they just keep trying to cause friction where there isn't, for 'entertainment' sake.

On a sidenote, I'd absolutely love to see Vettel and Hamilton in the same team. And no, not cause I foresee any drama, but actually, quite the opposite. Watching those guys interact over the years, reminds me of two genuine mates with alot of respect for eachother.

I bet, left to their own devices, those two would absolutely love racing together. Screw the media rubbish, I want my entertainment on track, not reality tv style drama, leave that for the WWE and Kardashian idjits.

Seriously, I'm no Hamilton fan, but how many times do people have to be told he has no interest in going to Ferrari, with a full explanation of why, and why he loves Mercedes, before any of it actually sinks in. Who saw the interview with Hamilton and Wolff? Now that was well done, and even then, the agenda to get drama was overtly pushed.

And breathe...
MG van Rensburg
(Group Amateur - 44)

South Africa 
Certified: 
Old post #118 posted May 26th 2020, 10:02:37 (last edited May 26th 2020, 10:03:29 by MG van Rensburg) Quote 
Quote ( Sam Wainwright @ May 26th 2020,10:00:37 )

Seriously, I'm no Hamilton fan, but how many times do people have to be told he has no interest in going to Ferrari, with a full explanation of why, and why he loves Mercedes, before any of it actually sinks in. Who saw the interview with Hamilton and Wolff? Now that was well done, and even then, the agenda to get drama was overtly pushed.

And breathe...

Darn it... I knew I forgot something. Was wondering why my face was feeling pressure and I was getting lightheaded, thanks for the save, haha.

But yeah, just realised why I don't like F1 anymore. Its not the FIA, or the rules, or the domination of a team, or anything. Its the media, this new age of journalism, which is just, downright horrible.

So, got your vote for Hamilton+Vettel would be great to see for all the right reason?

Alberto Guerrini
(Group Rookie - 157)

Italy 
Certified: 
Old post #119 posted May 26th 2020, 10:20:44 Quote 

I'm no Hamilton fan, but how many times do people have to be told he has no interest in going to Ferrari, with a full explanation of why, and why he loves Mercedes, before any of it actually sinks in. Who saw the interview with Hamilton and Wolff? Now that was well done by the two of them, we got to see genuine humanity from both, and yet still, with all the clear reality, the media

There has been some speculation in the past, Hamilton has always been attracted by the tifosi passion and Ferrari's historical heritage. Last year he had some talks with Mr. Elkann about the possibility to join Ferrari. As you said, his only goal is to overtake Schumi's career seven world championships, and he knows (and Toto knows, who has the same exact ambitions) the only place to get it is Mercedes. I see Hamilton maybe trying something new AFTER achieving that, obv he knows that a title with La Rossa is worth smtg like 1.1/1.2 vs other constructors.

Media, especially in this macro context, need to get the most out of thin air, so, yeah, you start from a semi-fact and then embroider the rest.

Something interesting I'd like to share: Ferrari move on Sainz is ALSO due to the Spaniard's driving style, which is very similar to LeClerc's one. They like to have a bit of understeering, a less precise front, while Vettel is a strong advocate of a "softer" front wing approach (something Kimi didn't like too much...I'm a huge Kimi fan and sometimes I do believe Ferrari sacrificed Kimi a bit too much). In this way Ferrari can develop in one direction, with an amazing quali driver (CL16) and a solid tyre saver result oriented guy (Sainz), as they always did with the Barrichellos, the Massas, and counting...

Said so, I'm devastated, Ricciardo in Red would have been too cool for school.
MG van Rensburg
(Group Amateur - 44)

South Africa 
Certified: 
Old post #120 posted May 26th 2020, 10:26:27 Quote 
Quote ( Alberto Guerrini @ May 26th 2020,10:20:44 )

I'm no Hamilton fan, but how many times do people have to be told he has no interest in going to Ferrari, with a full explanation of why, and why he loves Mercedes, before any of it actually sinks in. Who saw the interview with Hamilton and Wolff? Now that was well done by the two of them, we got to see genuine humanity from both, and yet still, with all the clear reality, the media

There has been some speculation in the past, Hamilton has always been attracted by the tifosi passion and Ferrari's historical heritage. Last year he had some talks with Mr. Elkann about the possibility to join Ferrari. As you said, his only goal is to overtake Schumi's career seven world championships, and he knows (and Toto knows, who has the same exact ambitions) the only place to get it is Mercedes. I see Hamilton maybe trying something new AFTER achieving that, obv he knows that a title with La Rossa is worth smtg like 1.1/1.2 vs other constructors.

Media, especially in this macro context, need to get the most out of thin air, so, yeah, you start from a semi-fact and then embroider the rest.

Something interesting I'd like to share: Ferrari move on Sainz is ALSO due to the Spaniard's driving style, which is very similar to LeClerc's one. They like to have a bit of understeering, a less precise front, while Vettel is a strong advocate of a "softer" front wing approach (something Kimi didn't like too much...I'm a huge Kimi fan and sometimes I do believe Ferrari sacrificed Kimi a bit too much). In this way Ferrari can develop in one direction, with an amazing quali driver (CL16) and a solid tyre saver result oriented guy (Sainz), as they always did with the Barrichellos, the Massas, and counting...

Said so, I'm devastated, Ricciardo in Red would have been too cool for school.

I never said his only goal was anything. The interview with Wolff and Hamilton was very enlightening, where they discuss, openly, how its very much not the case for Hamilton in actuality, and that even money wise, Hamilton's focus in actuality in on his own brand, his future, and thats where all the time negotiating is actually spent, not salary, not trophies, but his longterm goals, future, his brand, his businesses, and finding that balance, that he has time for both, as his personal ventures are very dear to him. Its not a case of trophies, its about passion.
Page « 1 2 3 [45 ... 22 23 24 » Quick go to page:

Reply to this topic