Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Newbie forum > rain pitstop, what about refuelling? Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist
Page [1
Author Topic: rain pitstop, what about refuelling? 13 replies
Wüterich Streithansel
(Group Rookie - 133)

Austria 
Certified: 
Old post #1 posted May 11th 2020, 16:58:21 (last edited May 11th 2020, 17:05:49 by Christian Wonisch) Quote 
Hi,

I just started my gpro carreer and did not expierence a rain race so far. I tried and searched the forum but I couldn't find a promising thread for my question. If there is allready a posting concerning my question, please let me know, I'll check it out. Thank you!

How does rain effect pitstops? Obviously when it rains the car gets a pitstop but will this pitstop be handled like a "technical problem" or not?
E.g. I calculate tank fuel und tyre wear to last app. 30 rounds and on my first pitstop I want to refuel X litres. What happens if it starts to rain on round 15 and my driver hast to pit (lets assume I told him to pit in 2 laps when it starts to rain).
a) Will the car be refuelled?
b) Will the checkbox "Don't refuel when pitting for a technical problem" have any effect => is changing rain/dry tyres a "technical problem" or a "normal" pitstop (including refuel according to refuel quantity/fuel left) or just a stop to change tires and nothing more (without refuelling)?
c) if the checkbox does have an effect on refuelling => let's assume I had to pit in round 28 because of rain and I've choosen not to refuel => I will pit again in round 30 (because of to little fuel)? Or does the amount of laps that I told my driver to "wait to pit" if it starts to rain influence if my driver waits till lap 30 (the scheduled pit)?

Thank's in advance!

Mark Pinnick
(Group Pro - 6)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #2 posted May 11th 2020, 17:11:48 (last edited May 11th 2020, 17:13:33 by Mark Pinnick) Quote 
a) Yes it will

b) The checkbox has no effect on fuelling.

In your example, if rain starts L15, and you wait 2 laps until pit, you pit at the end of L17. You will fuel to the level set in "Fuel After Stop 1"

EDIT: So, it is advisable to calculate/estimate the number of laps you think it might rain for, and fuel your car accordingly.
Wüterich Streithansel
(Group Rookie - 133)

Austria 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #3 posted May 11th 2020, 17:26:42 (last edited May 11th 2020, 17:27:07 by Christian Wonisch) Quote 
Thank you very much!
So guesswork is getting harder and harder... I'm not able to calculate range of fuel and tyres properly yet and on top of that I have to guess when it start's to rain as well... tricky... :-)

But you mentioned something else: When it starts to rain and my driver is instructed to wait 2 laps to pit, he will pit in L17... I thought the driver will wait "up to" X laps before going to the pit. Meaning it would have made sense that if he has to pit anyway in L17 to stay on track till then, but if the next pit is due in e.g. L35, I thought he would change to rain tyres right away. But it seems to me that he would stay on track till the numbers of laps he has been told to wait is done in any case (given that he has enough fuel and tyres are ok). Is that correct?
Lorne Taylor
(Group Rookie - 46)

Canada 
Certified: 
Like this post (3)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #4 posted May 11th 2020, 17:59:59 Quote 
Quote ( Wüterich Streithansel @ May 11th 2020,17:26:42 )

But you mentioned something else: When it starts to rain and my driver is instructed to wait 2 laps to pit, he will pit in L17... I thought the driver will wait "up to" X laps before going to the pit. Meaning it would have made sense that if he has to pit anyway in L17 to stay on track till then, but if the next pit is due in e.g. L35, I thought he would change to rain tyres right away. But it seems to me that he would stay on track till the numbers of laps he has been told to wait is done in any case (given that he has enough fuel and tyres are ok). Is that correct?

You're presuming stops will happen on preset laps. What the "wait 'x' laps" means is, if rain starts on L15, he'll run two more laps on dry tires before stopping & fuelling. If you think rain won't last, that might be a good call. If you don't want rain entirely buggering your pit stop/fuel strategy, it might be, too.

If you're out of fuel, or tires are too worn, the "wait time" is moot, & he'll stop regardless.

Hope that's helpful.
Konstantinos Ouzounis
(Group Rookie - 163)

Greece 
Certified: 
Old post #5 posted May 11th 2020, 18:12:45 Quote 
The checkbox wait x laps to pit when it starts rain, is part of stragegy of the race. If everybody goes to pit in 0 rounds, then obviously pits will be overcrouded and maybe there are delays in your pitstop. On the other hand every round you complete with wrong set of tyres ( soft tyres to wet surface ), also costs in worst lap times. So either you choose get in pits immediately in 0 rounds or after 1 round. Wait more than 1 lap costs too much in time per round and is not suggested.
Finally your driver ( in case fuel and tyres are ok ) will pit in exact x rounds after rain starts as many as you choosed in the checkbox. Hope i helped
Wüterich Streithansel
(Group Rookie - 133)

Austria 
Certified: 
Old post #6 posted May 11th 2020, 18:20:24 Quote 
Thank you!
I allready worked it out that you can‘t set specific laps for pitstops and that it depends on fuel and tyre consumption, but I thought that the laps „waiting to pit if it rains“ were meant to gain a bit of flexibility in case of rain and a kind of stability In the pitstop strategy.
But now I got it, which settings effect what. Thank you for your advice!
Tibor Szuromi
(Group Pro - 20)

Hungary 
Certified: 
Old post #7 posted May 11th 2020, 18:42:00 (last edited May 11th 2020, 18:42:44 by Tibor Szuromi) Quote 
X laps + 0 lap ÷ X WET; 1 DRY (laps) ----- Disadvantage: Stressful staff.
X laps + y laps ÷ X WET; y DRY (laps) ---- Disadvantage (calculable): Lap time loss (unsuitable tire):
Mark Pinnick
(Group Pro - 6)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #8 posted May 11th 2020, 21:10:17 Quote 
The “up to X laps” refers to the chance that tyres won’t last. If you set it at 60, tyres and fuel will require you to pit sooner.
Guilherme Franco
(Group Master - 2)

Brazil 
Certified: 
Old post #9 posted May 11th 2020, 21:53:38 Quote 
On the other hand you can try the gambling mode and... wait 15 laps for example, thinking the rain will last around 10 and 15 laps, This way you will lose time racing in the wrong tires, but you will not do 2 extra pits too.

Is it a good choice?

To have this anwser you will need to grab data and study the numbers hidden in it, like time loss doing pits, and time loss running with the wrong tire and compare it.

Wish you the best learning curve Mr. Streithansel, never forget to collect all data you might have access
Lorne Taylor
(Group Rookie - 46)

Canada 
Certified: 
Old post #10 posted May 11th 2020, 22:59:13 (last edited May 11th 2020, 23:01:16 by Lorne Taylor) Quote 
Quote ( Guilherme Franco @ May 11th 2020,21:53:38 )

but you will not do 2 extra pits too.

You also won't affect your fuel strategy; stops for rain tires may do that. (How it happens, & how to try & prevent it, is probably FOBY...)
Quote ( Mark Pinnick @ May 11th 2020,21:10:17 )

The “up to X laps” refers to the chance that tyres won’t last.

I understood it was just a "stall" to allow betting on rain stopping. If it happens at/near a "scheduled" stop, it shouldn't matter; you're not staying out past tire wear or fuel exhaustion _forcing_ a stop.
Mark Pinnick
(Group Pro - 6)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #11 posted May 12th 2020, 08:22:08 (last edited May 12th 2020, 08:23:00 by Mark Pinnick) Quote 
Quote ( Lorne Taylor @ May 11th 2020,22:59:13 )

I understood it was just a "stall" to allow betting on rain stopping. If it happens at/near a "scheduled" stop, it shouldn't matter; you're not staying out past tire wear or fuel exhaustion _forcing_ a stop.

Yes; it is a “stall”, but it is not just a stall. There are so many other things you might be considering.

Take this coming race as an example. You might want to gamble on rain arriving close to, but no later than, lap 36. Maybe you set up for 2 stints of 18 laps on whichever tyre suits, but you set the “stall” to 18 laps. That means you make your second pit on lap 36 regardless, and (providing the rain has started), you’ll be on the right tyre, with the right fuel load for the final stint.

Of course, that gamble goes very wrong if it doesn’t start to rain until lap 38!!
Christopher Delehanty
(Group Rookie - 17)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #12 posted May 14th 2020, 20:42:52 Quote 
Quote ( Lorne Taylor @ May 11th 2020,17:59:59 )

You're presuming stops will happen on preset laps. What the "wait 'x' laps" means is, if rain starts on L15, he'll run two more laps on dry tires before stopping & fuelling. If you think rain won't last, that might be a good call. If you don't want rain entirely buggering your pit stop/fuel strategy, it might be, too.

When you say "if you think rain won't last" does that mean that there is the possibility that it will begin raining, stop raining a lap later, and begin raining again?

Or does it rain/not rain for the entire 30 minutes at a time?
Tibor Szuromi
(Group Pro - 20)

Hungary 
Certified: 
Old post #13 posted May 14th 2020, 20:45:38 (last edited May 14th 2020, 20:49:17 by Tibor Szuromi) Quote 
There can be up to 2 weather changes in 1 weather district (fourth; 30'). (I experienced this.)
Lorne Taylor
(Group Rookie - 46)

Canada 
Certified: 
Old post #14 posted May 15th 2020, 23:56:31 Quote 
Quote ( Christopher Delehanty @ May 14th 2020,20:42:52 )

When you say "if you think rain won't last" does that mean that there is the possibility that it will begin raining, stop raining a lap later, and begin raining again?

Or does it rain/not rain for the entire 30 minutes at a time?

I haven't seen a rain start/stop/start in under 30min, but I can't rule it out.

What I meant was, if you expect it to continue until your next planned stop (or so): do you stay on dry tires for a short (anticipated) rain (cloudburst, frex) or change for a long (anticipated) rain? Changing tires will mean fuelling, & that risks blowing up your planned fuel stops.
Page [1
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Newbie forum > rain pitstop, what about refuelling? Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist

Reply to this topic