Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Off topic forum > A Historical Question (Not GPRO Related) Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist
Page « 1 2 3 4 5 [6 Quick go to page:
Author Topic: A Historical Question (Not GPRO Related) 163 replies
Ahmet Sonverdi
(Group Master - 4)

Turkey 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #151 posted Jun 29th 2020, 12:49:51 (last edited Jun 29th 2020, 12:51:05 by Ahmet Sonverdi) Quote 
I tried Apuleian Sphere even though I couldn't link it with Netherlands - it's also wrong.

I also didn't really check the soldiers leaving the city part either :/
Thijs Rieken
(Group Pro - 17)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #152 posted Jun 29th 2020, 14:39:42 Quote 
The actual Netherlands, or, in the Jacques Cousteau atmosphere, beneath the land?
Ahmet Sonverdi
(Group Master - 4)

Turkey 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #153 posted Jun 29th 2020, 14:43:02 Quote 
The actual one because the clue was in Turkish and 'the Netherlands' & 'beneath the land' are very very different things in Turkish.
Ahmet Sonverdi
(Group Master - 4)

Turkey 
Certified: 
Old post #154 posted Jun 29th 2020, 16:41:13 Quote 
So, I tried Descartes Highlands but it's wrong.

My thought process was;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descartes_Highlands

I'm looking through René Descartes. There is a spot named Descartes Highlands on the moon that Apollo 16 landed which means you can see the Netherlands, right? Descartes also spent quite a lot of time in the Netherlands too. The reason why it named after him is (if I'm not wrong), it has something to do with Descartes's formations.

He's one of the writers of Atena Lectures de Filosofia. Athena is a Greek goddess. It says in the wiki that "She's known as Athena Parthenos "Athena the Virgin," but in one archaic Attic myth, the god Hephaestus tried and failed to rape her" maybe that was the answer to her lover? Though this part feels like a stretch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren%C3%A9_Descartes#Sweden

"By 1649, Descartes had become one of Europe's most famous philosophers and scientists.[53] That year, Queen Christina of Sweden invited Descartes to her court to organize a new scientific academy and tutor her in his ideas about love."

That might be the presidency of a federation, right?

I couldn't link the troops retracting & the thing's name origin is Italian. Oh, and the record thing.
Ahmet Sonverdi
(Group Master - 4)

Turkey 
Certified: 
Old post #155 posted Jun 29th 2020, 16:42:23 Quote 
There will be a new clue at 19 CET. I have 5 tries left.

The clue count is pretty high IMO so the answer might be found soon.
Ahmet Sonverdi
(Group Master - 4)

Turkey 
Certified: 
Old post #156 posted Jun 30th 2020, 19:30:04 Quote 
New clue is

Quote ( Ahmet Sonverdi @ June 29th 2020,10:33:53 )

***In one of his/her works (books), it's been told that soldiers (we don't know which soldiers) who occupied the city (we don't know which city), have left the city after a game.

This happened in Thirty Years' War https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty_Years%27_War
Ahmet Sonverdi
(Group Master - 4)

Turkey 
Certified: 
Old post #157 posted Jun 30th 2020, 19:34:38 Quote 
"The remnants of the Protestant armies, led by Mansfeld and Duke Christian of Brunswick, withdrew into Dutch service. Although their arrival in the Netherlands did help to lift the siege of Bergen-op-Zoom (October 1622), the Dutch could not provide permanent shelter for them. They were paid off and sent to occupy neighboring East Frisia. Mansfeld remained in the Dutch Republic, but Christian wandered off to "assist" his kin in the Lower Saxon Circle, attracting the attentions of Count Tilly. With the news that Mansfeld would not be supporting him, Christian's army began a steady retreat toward the safety of the Dutch border."

I believe this part is where the clue about the retreat.
Ahmet Sonverdi
(Group Master - 4)

Turkey 
Certified: 
Old post #158 posted Jul 2nd 2020, 08:28:31 Quote 
Someone found the answer.

Its Krejcik Gambit.
Jun Ho
(Group Rookie - 12)

Hong Kong 
Certified: 
Old post #159 posted Jul 2nd 2020, 09:41:50 Quote 
So it wasn't a person lol
Ahmet Sonverdi
(Group Master - 4)

Turkey 
Certified: 
Old post #160 posted Jul 2nd 2020, 10:31:16 Quote 
Mate, I said it was a "thing" that named after the philosopher-writer :D
Maxim Kotov2
(Group Master - 2)

Russian Federation 
Certified: 
Old post #161 posted Jul 3rd 2020, 19:59:39 Quote 
Nice question but a very tricky one!
Ahmet Sonverdi
(Group Master - 4)

Turkey 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #162 posted Jul 3rd 2020, 20:04:58 Quote 
I'll try to keep you updated with the new one when it comes up :)
Ahmet Sonverdi
(Group Elite)

Turkey 
Certified: 
Old post #163 posted Feb 21st 2021, 16:08:37 (last edited Feb 21st 2021, 16:09:39 by Ahmet Sonverdi) Quote 
Clues;

1) A soldier
2) A teacher
3) In one of his/her works, he/she touched various fields. You can see sentences about chemistry while reading a part about the history of Islam.
4) In that particular work, 'a name' is mentioned in a part where he/she gives information about a tool/an instrument.

QUESTION: What is the 'name' that was mentioned in the 4th clue? (See the 6th clue, the incorrect version is asked)

----------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------

Additional Clues

5) The name has been written in 4 different ways in a national library. (It's not really clear that if it's the author's name or the 'name' that is asked in that particular work).
6) The name (in that particular work) has been written incorrectly.
7) In his/her country, this person is one of the pioneers in publishing in a specific field. (Again, it's not clear that if it's the author or the 'name' that is asked in that particular work).
8) In that particular work, there is also an inconsistency/a mistake with the information the author gives about the tool/instrument.
9) The information about the tool/instrument is incorrect BOTH for those times' knowledge and today's knowledge. The development/event that reveals today's knowledge appeared 40-ish years later after the work was published.
10) That particular work also has information on how uranium atoms break down.
11) While reading about the history of Islam in that particular work, Arthur Stanley Eddington's theory is also mentioned.
12) Also, there is information about electric/electricity in that particular work.
13) The tool/instrument has been made/produced in Germany.
14) The person has contributed to the science of astronomy in Turkey. (It's not clear that if it's the author or the 'name' that is asked in that particular work).
15) According to a source, that particular work's copies have been collected back (like it gets forbidden to have it).
16) In Nazi Germany, a movie was made about the person whose name is asked in the question.
17) That movie is adapted from the director's father's work.
18) That particular work (the work I've been writing in most of the clues, not the movie) was published in Turkey.

Good luck :)
Jun Ho
(Group Amateur - 78)

Hong Kong 
Certified: 
Old post #164 posted Feb 21st 2021, 19:05:21 (last edited Feb 21st 2021, 19:05:44 by Jun Ho) Quote 
No idea. :D
Page « 1 2 3 4 5 [6 Quick go to page:
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Off topic forum > A Historical Question (Not GPRO Related) Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist

Reply to this topic