Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Suggestions forum > Different tyres racing in amateur Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist
Page « 1 2 3 ... 7 8 [9 Quick go to page:
Forum topic poll
Do you think is good idea to bring in Amateur one more tyre supplier?
Sign in to vote or view the poll results
Author Topic: Different tyres racing in amateur 249 replies
Sam Norris
(Group Amateur - 41)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #241 posted Jan 21st 2021, 20:45:42 Quote 
I think he means he wants to see the compounds Ken

Quote ( Twig Fahaji @ January 21st 2021,19:03:55 )

Even more experienced players can come unstuck there if they overlook something important.

Only not sandbagging enough and accidentally promoting. Which i believe Jimmy did :D

But we all know ama is too easy for experienced players yet too hard for newer players (it is almost as if there should be another tier between rookie and ama lol), most are happy with this cos they benefit from it. I just still feel bad for newer players who do not find good teams. The gulf between ama and pro is still a problem, might be time for M5 and Pro 21-25 to go...

I would have liked the chance to smash ama on Bridgerocks but it is already pretty unfair. I have beat my PB in qually from when i was in Pro on Dunnos so tyres are not everything. I feel adding different tyres to ama albeit at same cost is the wrong cure to this problem. This is my blowout retirement season so i do not want to be tempted back to ama with multi coloured pips!!! :P
Tibor Szuromi
(Group Amateur - 4)

Hungary 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #242 posted Jan 21st 2021, 20:55:57 Quote 
@Twig Fahaji (M4) Your post is music to my ears.
Stuart Foster
(Group Pro - 20)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (3)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #243 posted Jan 21st 2021, 21:35:43 (last edited Jan 21st 2021, 21:43:38 by Stuart Foster) Quote 
Quote ( Gary Felton @ January 21st 2021,18:25:12 )

would create more variables within each group

I think amateur adds enough variables for rookies to get to grips with. I can see the thing for another tyre supplier but is it helping people learn the game? Probably not. I supported this idea myself before but this makes me think differently ;

Quote ( Twig Fahaji @ January 21st 2021,19:03:55 )

If you can't make it out of Amateur, it's because you still need to work on elements of your account, and there is a lot to think about or experiment with before needing to add different tyres to the mix.

Nicely put, Twig.

Quote ( Sam Norris @ January 21st 2021,20:45:42 )

But we all know ama is too easy for experienced players yet too hard for newer players (it is almost as if there should be another tier between rookie and ama lol), most are happy with this cos they benefit from it. I just still feel bad for newer players who do not find good teams

Firstly, there's no room for a 'Novice' level in a game that needs to keep reducing the number of rookie (and amateur) groups due to the smaller player base. I think a lot of the things you've mentioned can be fixed with some changes, Sam.

Newer players would find good teams if teams were allowed, as has been suggested in another thread by me and others, to have extra spots on their team (maybe 3) for the sole purpose of recruitment of rookies. They don't score points for the team as the first 10 managers still score points, but they are still part of the team and able to move into one of the 10 spots as they becom available. It's a win, win for teams and newbies.

Regards the gap to Pro, again, reduce the promotions from amateur from 4 to 3 and relegate the bottom 11 from Pro to counter-balance the fewer promotions. That wouldn't make retention necessarily easy, but it would allow promoted managers from Amateur who've not raced in Pro a stronger chance of survival. For most of them it'll be the first time they'll have experienced the threat of relegation (since it exists only artificially in amateur).

Sam Norris
(Group Amateur - 41)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #244 posted Jan 21st 2021, 23:41:03 (last edited Jan 22nd 2021, 00:09:05 by Sam Norris) Quote 
Well tbf novice was not the new tier, it was what rookie was renamed and reset removed. New smaller rookie tier designed for newer players only but yes you would need to reduce the numbers in most tiers. Not a bad thing imo. The idea of the new tier was only ever to fix the multitude of issues that Rookie resets were preventing.

Quote ( Stuart Foster @ January 21st 2021,21:35:43 )

reduce the promotions from amateur from 4 to 3 and relegate the bottom 11 from Pro to counter-balance the fewer promotions

hehe yes mate i agree as it is precariously close to the N-plan. top 4 of 75x ama = 300 and bottom 12 of 25x pro = 300 ;)

Seems like every Pro group has rich amas newly promoted top of season standings due to bank balance. Being forced to use pips in ama means they can now afford those michis :D

edit
Quote ( Stuart Foster @ January 21st 2021,21:35:43 )

a game that needs to keep reducing the number of rookie (and amateur) groups due to the smaller player base

6000 players can fit into 3 tiers the same way they do 2. Its just a matter of group size and amount... must be the phrase 'adding a new tier' giving the impression its an expansion requiring more players, not the case at all. But whatever cos i dont want to race in Novice anymore lol, but the tiers do need tightening and thus more need to go to rookie. Its a shame half the games players race in Rookie but needs must!
Jaime Sinclair
(Group Rookie - 78)

Brazil 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #245 posted Jan 22nd 2021, 01:14:35 Quote 
As a rookie myself (started in the middle of last season) I'm still wondering why the rookie races have fewer cars than any of the other tiers.

Shouldn't it be the opposite? Or at least the same? Because with fewer pilots some rookies will ascend to Amateur knowing almost nothing about the game. Yes, setups will be ok because all of the tools available, but in a championship against maybe 8 contenders for the AMA spots, it certainly looks like it's "easy" to ascend to AMA.
Stuart Foster
(Group Pro - 20)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #246 posted Jan 22nd 2021, 02:40:33 Quote 
It used to be. When I started playing there were 30 managers qualified.

That couldn't happen again because the drop out rate is so much higher among new players, so it is better for the game that rookie races tend to have a field of not even half of what they would be faced with in amateur. I think making it easier to progress with fewer managers is a good thing overall, as it allows those new managers to feel progress - instead of being stuck in rookie for season after season.
Tibor Szuromi
(Group Amateur - 4)

Hungary 
Certified: 
Old post #247 posted Jan 22nd 2021, 02:50:50 Quote 
Quote ( Stuart Foster @ January 22nd 2021,02:40:33 )

When I started playing there were 30 managers qualified.
I am happy to think about that period.
James Keeble
(Group Rookie - 83)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #248 posted Jan 22nd 2021, 09:15:52 Quote 
dont complicate further!
Twig Fahaji
(Group Master - 4)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #249 posted Jan 22nd 2021, 13:32:44 (last edited Jan 22nd 2021, 13:33:35 by Twig Fahaji) Quote 
Quote ( Jaime Sinclair @ January 22nd 2021,01:14:35 )

As a rookie myself (started in the middle of last season) I'm still wondering why the rookie races have fewer cars than any of the other tiers.

Shouldn't it be the opposite? Or at least the same? Because with fewer pilots some rookies will ascend to Amateur knowing almost nothing about the game. Yes, setups will be ok because all of the tools available, but in a championship against maybe 8 contenders for the AMA spots, it certainly looks like it's "easy" to ascend to AMA.

You have a point, but the counter argument is that when people start playing the game they will need to experience some positives if they are likely to stick with it. It is a game after all, that's meant to be fun. You don't want a situation where you're guaranteed to score points no matter what, but who is honestly going to keep playing this new game if they are finishing 35th every race?

I'd say it is better to promote, realise Amateur is too hard, and try again at Rookie level, rather than never have a chance of promoting. Personally I think it is more important for newbies to realise that being in Rookie is an opportunity to experiment without worrying about your future GPRO career - most people start playing and crave success, wanting to promote as soon as they can, even if it means finishing 5th and getting an 'additional promotion' - I was one of them too! But if I knew more of what the game entailed then, I would have gladly stuck around in Rookie for longer to hone my skills.

Edit: Just realised Stuart has said a similar thing already, in far fewer words :-)
Athol Kay
(Group Amateur - 50)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #250 posted Jan 22nd 2021, 16:23:28 Quote 
Quote ( Sam Norris @ January 21st 2021,20:45:42 )

But we all know ama is too easy for experienced players yet too hard for newer players

That issue is mostly caused by experienced managers having setup tools and newer players not knowing about them. The performance gap is massive.
Page « 1 2 3 ... 7 8 [9 Quick go to page:
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Suggestions forum > Different tyres racing in amateur Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist

Reply to this topic