Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Suggestions forum > Suggestion-Searching Posts By Particular Person in a particular topic Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist
Page [1
Author Topic: Suggestion-Searching Posts By Particular Person in a particular topic 21 replies
Kshitij Sharma
(Group Rookie - 83)

India 
Certified: 
Like this post (4)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #1 posted Nov 20th 2020, 16:20:01 (last edited Nov 20th 2020, 16:31:24 by Kshitij Sharma) Quote 
I wanted to search all posts on a particular topic by some particular person but found there is no such feature to search it this way.
If we could find this feature useful probably having it is not a bad idea for the forum.
If someone feels it is not required then probably you could suggest a better way to do it.

Edit
Some people are misinterpreting my suggestion, the question is for example if I want to search all the posts made by me on the topic of a general team discussion thread then how will I find them without such a feature?
Gabriel Arbona
(Group Amateur - 11)

Argentina 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #2 posted Nov 20th 2020, 16:23:19 Quote 
you can filter the search in the forum on a particular topic and on a particular author

Michael Franks
(Group Master - 4)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #3 posted Nov 20th 2020, 16:23:49 Quote 
If you type the topic name in the 'search for' box, select only in topic title, and put the name of the person you want to find in the 'author' box, that should do it no?
Ivelin Dobrev
(Group Rookie - 165)

Canada 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #4 posted Nov 20th 2020, 16:25:27 Quote 
No that will look for threads that the person started. I have been asking for a more refined forum search for a long time myself so I am with Kshitij on that one.
Kshitij Sharma
(Group Rookie - 83)

India 
Certified: 
Old post #5 posted Nov 20th 2020, 16:25:50 (last edited Nov 20th 2020, 16:37:12 by Kshitij Sharma) Quote 
Quote ( Gabriel Arbona @ November 20th 2020,16:23:19 )

you can filter the search in the forum on a particular topic and on a particular author

could you tell the way how to do it?
when i go for search then there is option to search in topic title/post or by person.
Quote ( Ivelin Dobrev @ November 20th 2020,16:25:27 )

No that will look for threads that the person started. I have been asking for a more refined forum search for a long time myself so I am with Kshitij on that one.

yes ivelin is right here
Gabriel Arbona
(Group Amateur - 11)

Argentina 
Certified: 
Old post #6 posted Nov 20th 2020, 16:42:22 Quote 
@Kshitij Sharma (R83) https://imgur.com/iaDLToV easy if I'm not misunderstanding what do you suggest
Daniel Douglas
(Group Master - 3)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #7 posted Nov 20th 2020, 16:52:43 Quote 
Go to their prodile... top left has link for all posts by that person
Kshitij Sharma
(Group Rookie - 83)

India 
Certified: 
Old post #8 posted Nov 20th 2020, 16:54:25 Quote 
Quote ( Gabriel Arbona @ November 20th 2020,16:42:22 )

@Kshitij Sharma (R83) https://imgur.com/iaDLToV easy if I'm not misunderstanding what do you suggest

by this, it will show all posts done by a particular person on all topics but I want to search for all the posts done by a particular person on a particular topic.

Miel Soeterbroek
(Group Master - 3)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #9 posted Nov 20th 2020, 16:55:03 (last edited Nov 20th 2020, 17:09:16 by Miel Soeterbroek) Quote 
/gb/forum/Search.asp

Select the forum, enter the user's name, and leave the search term blank?

E: ah particular TOPIC, i can't read. Carry on :)
Ivelin Dobrev
(Group Rookie - 165)

Canada 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #10 posted Nov 20th 2020, 16:55:35 Quote 
Gabriel, look what the result is if you do that:

/gb/forum/Search.asp?slInForum=&txtAuthor=Ivelin+Dobrev&...

It just gives me one result, not all the posts that I made in the thread.

Miel Soeterbroek
(Group Master - 3)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #11 posted Nov 20th 2020, 17:09:02 Quote 
Searching for posts instead of topics would normally give you individual results, but searching for a thread title won't yield any replies... Seems there really is no way to do this :/
Michael Keeney
(Group Master - 3)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #12 posted Nov 20th 2020, 17:24:30 Quote 
I've always used search for within search forum and entered a users surname and selected entire topics.

It easy to filer through by which topic you want.
Kshitij Sharma
(Group Rookie - 83)

India 
Certified: 
Old post #13 posted Nov 20th 2020, 18:06:00 Quote 
Quote ( Michael Keeney @ November 20th 2020,17:24:30 )

I've always used search for within search forum and entered a users surname and selected entire topics.

didnt undersyand what you want to say?
Michael Keeney
(Group Master - 3)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #14 posted Nov 21st 2020, 22:48:45 Quote 
Quote ( Kshitij Sharma @ November 20th 2020,18:06:00 )

Quote ( Michael Keeney @ November 20th 2020,17:24:30 )

didnt undersyand what you want to say?

Go to forum>search forum.
Select entire forum
Type your search parameter into the "search for" box
Click search forum.

Ivelin Dobrev
(Group Rookie - 165)

Canada 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #15 posted Nov 22nd 2020, 04:29:45 Quote 
And how is that going to give you the results he wants?

Why is it so difficult to understand that if something like that is suggested, it’s because it’s not possible right now?
Michael Keeney
(Group Master - 3)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #16 posted Nov 22nd 2020, 04:31:51 Quote 
Quote ( Ivelin Dobrev @ November 22nd 2020,04:29:45 )

And how is that going to give you the results he wants?

Why is it so difficult to understand that if something like that is suggested, it’s because it’s not possible right now?

I simply stated what I do to find things, its easy.

And about your second sentence. Do you realise there is 999 things suggested that already in the game. The odd things get through now and again.
Daniel Douglas
(Group Master - 3)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #17 posted Nov 22nd 2020, 05:27:04 Quote 

Quote ( Ivelin Dobrev @ November 22nd 2020,04:29:45 )

I suggest that we have a method for showing whether we like or dislike a post in the forum. Possibly by clicking an image which then also displays the number of people who have clicked the like or dislike button. Possible images that could be used:
+ or - image
"like" or "dislike" image
:) or :( image
Up thump or down thumb image

That sounds like and absolutely wonderful suggestion to me!
Shoaib Mohamed
(Group Amateur - 22)

India 
Certified: 
Old post #18 posted Nov 22nd 2020, 11:07:35 Quote 
Quote ( Daniel Douglas @ November 22nd 2020,05:27:04 )

thump

Nice passive aggressive hinting there 🤪
Kevin Parkinson
(Group Rookie - 150)

GPRO Crew
Scotland 
Certified: 
Old post #19 posted Nov 22nd 2020, 12:10:40 (last edited Nov 22nd 2020, 12:34:52 by Kevin Parkinson) Quote 
Definitely agree with Kshitij and Ivelin on this one, and I assume anyone who has ever played mafia on the site would agree too :p

I fully understand what the current forum search is and is not capable of but being able to search through one particular thread only, be it for a single person's posts or for a single bit of text, or both, would be very useful in certain circumstances, especially when the threads are large.

While narrowing by forum section is slightly helpful, in a large forum, like Silly Games / Forum Games, when there could be a lot of seasons of similar topics (seasons of games) and similar things said, or the same person posting in multiple threads often, it is slightly helpful, at best, and sometimes not at all. Obviously, as per the OP, other people may want the feature for other reasons too.

So, yes, all for an addition added to the forum search that narrows the search to one specific topic, if possible. That could be used for looking at a single person's post in that thread or just to search for specific text in that thread, or both, as the current search already does.

General forum search improvements wouldn't go amiss either, like being able to search for multiple terms at a time.

---

EDIT - In addition to the above, I totally understand people not "getting it". In over 11 years on the site, I don't think it has ever bothered me APART from when playing Mafia. The workarounds are perfectly suitable the vast majority of the time. But deep into a large mafia game, I often wish the facility to narrow searches to that specific thread was there.
Niels Van Heijster
(Group Pro - 12)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #20 posted Nov 22nd 2020, 13:44:01 (last edited Nov 22nd 2020, 13:45:30 by Niels Van Heijster) Quote 
Quote ( Kevin Parkinson @ November 22nd 2020,12:10:40 )

EDIT - In addition to the above, I totally understand people not "getting it". In over 11 years on the site, I don't think it has ever bothered me APART from when playing Mafia. The workarounds are perfectly suitable the vast majority of the time. But deep into a large mafia game, I often wish the facility to narrow searches to that specific thread was there.

Merely taking on the role as the Devil's advocate:

So this requested feature would be most helpful for threads that are not directly related to the GPRO game itself?
Kevin Parkinson
(Group Rookie - 150)

GPRO Crew
Scotland 
Certified: 
Old post #21 posted Nov 22nd 2020, 14:40:35 (last edited Nov 22nd 2020, 14:41:20 by Kevin Parkinson) Quote 
Quote ( Niels Van Heijster @ November 22nd 2020,13:44:01 )

Merely taking on the role as the Devil's advocate:

So this requested feature would be most helpful for threads that are not directly related to the GPRO game itself?

Nothing wrong with playing devil's advocate; I do it myself often and a good way to help people look at a discussion from all perspectives.

To your point, for me personally, I would say so, yes. Although it is an addition to the forum, and the games are a significant part of the forum. However, the OP mentioned the Team Discussion thread as the reason he wanted it, so that is one of the more GPRO game related parts of the forum.

(There is even an argument that the whole forum isn't part of the GPRO game itself, but I'm not going to make that argument lol).
Kshitij Sharma
(Group Rookie - 83)

India 
Certified: 
Old post #22 posted Nov 22nd 2020, 18:53:48 (last edited Nov 22nd 2020, 18:54:51 by Kshitij Sharma) Quote 
I agree with Kevin's opinion and feel he is absolutely correct here.
It is not entirely limited to one part of the forum I encountered many possible threads where I needed it in recent days and some of the examples are given below.
1.I was looking at a general team discussion thread and found some users are very active there so just wanted to check the posts they have done in the post on that thread without looking for so many pages.

2.I was just looking at the old season of the f1 forum game which I hosted years back but wanted to see all the posts I posted there but couldn't see them without opening individual pages.

3.I was looking at the quixotic press thread and wanted to find all the posts made by jack Wemyss as he does the interviews but no way without looking through all the pages.

4.I was looking at the old season of who is the killer which I participated in and wanted to find all posts of a player in that topic but couldn't find.

So it is just not limited to a single part of the game, about its usefulness everyone can have different opinions, but forum games are also part of this game and I guess the live screen originated from one of the forum game only run by jukka If i am not wrong .
Page [1
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Suggestions forum > Suggestion-Searching Posts By Particular Person in a particular topic Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist

Reply to this topic