Page « 1 2 3 4 [5 Quick go to page:
Author Topic: Names and genders 149 replies
Keri Lovell
(Group Rookie - 5)

Wales 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #121 posted May 10th 2021, 23:42:23 Quote 
Quote ( Erik Harken @ May 10th 2021,21:19:08 )

Quote ( Jon Day @ May 8th 2021,22:41:04 )

I've decided I want to identify as a biscuit tin!

This was news to me! Based off your posts I'd always assumed you identify as an asshole. Thanks for clarifying

Is that American sarcasm or are you just being an arsehole?
Roy Mitchell
(Group Amateur - 67)

Canada 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #122 posted May 10th 2021, 23:42:37 Quote 
Well, there you go. The world is full of them, it's the dicks you need to watch out for.
Ricardo Antunes
(Group Pro - 18)

Portugal 
Certified: 
Old post #123 posted May 10th 2021, 23:44:12 Quote 
Quote ( Roy Mitchell @ May 10th 2021,23:42:37 )

Well, there you go. The world is full of them, it's the dicks you need to watch out for.

If someone has one, they are males. So every man in the world is, by definition, a dick ;)
Miel Soeterbroek
(Group Elite)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #124 posted May 10th 2021, 23:59:26 Quote 
Speak for yourself. I refuse to be identified solely by my dick. I'm bigger than that.
Ricardo Antunes
(Group Pro - 18)

Portugal 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #125 posted May 11th 2021, 00:04:27 Quote 
Quote ( Miel Soeterbroek @ May 10th 2021,23:59:26 )

Speak for yourself. I refuse to be identified solely by my dick. I'm bigger than that.

Oh i believe that, it shouldnt be hard

#sickburn
Erik Harken
(Group Pro - 24)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #126 posted May 11th 2021, 04:30:01 Quote 
Quote ( Jon Day @ May 10th 2021,23:30:38 )

As for you Erik. I find you rather sweet

;*)

Quote ( Keri Lovell @ May 10th 2021,23:42:23 )

Is that American sarcasm or are you just being an arsehole?

A little bit of both mixed in with a strong disliking of low-hanging 'jokes' about this topic :p
Armin van Hülkenburg
(Group Retired)

Australia 
Certified: 
Like this post (6)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #127 posted May 11th 2021, 05:34:59 (last edited May 11th 2021, 05:43:58 by Armin van Hülkenburg) Quote 
Gender dysphoria is a very complicated and controversial subject to begin with, I wouldn't particularly want that controversy spilling out into the forums and poisoning some of the comradery just because there are differing opinions out there.

Male
Female
Prefer not to say

Add the third option and move on. We don't need to give this extra oxygen.

Edit: Another small point to add - a lot of managers join this site at quite a young age (I originally joined the game at 12), I don't think we need to add to any potential confusion for people who are going through that stage of life where they are trying to discover who they are.
Steve Dawson
(Group Rookie - 142)

Australia 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #128 posted May 11th 2021, 09:22:23 Quote 
Surely the simplest way to resolve this would be to ask people to identify by name only with an option to change that name should they so desire.

I know there would always be some knucklehead who would want to change their name ad nauseum but there are a number of ways for the operators of the site to prevent that from happening.
Keri Lovell
(Group Rookie - 5)

Wales 
Certified: 
Old post #129 posted May 11th 2021, 11:21:20 (last edited May 11th 2021, 11:24:35 by Keri Lovell) Quote 
Quote ( Armin van Hülkenburg @ May 11th 2021,05:34:59 )

A little bit of both mixed in with a strong disliking of low-hanging 'jokes' about this topic :p

Crossed wires I think, from everyone. That's not how he meant it, it was more a lighten the mood / stop an argument thing, which is what he does. No malice intended.

Text is a funny thing to misconstrue. I clearly did it too. ☺️

Constantin opened a huge can of worms with this one.

I think it's easily solved and will be shortly anyway, but at least the forum is alive and well.
Hans Barf
(Group Amateur - 23)

GPRO Crew
Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #130 posted May 11th 2021, 23:12:10 Quote 
Quote ( Montes Dimemola @ May 9th 2021,00:45:58 )

IMHO there are way too many PII (personally identifiable information) into GPRO accounts ...

Yep, that is true. Make it optional and add a few extra options to accommodate the needs...
Tibor Szuromi
(Group Amateur - 4)

Hungary 
Certified: 
Old post #131 posted May 11th 2021, 23:19:26 (last edited May 11th 2021, 23:20:51 by Tibor Szuromi) Quote 
Quote ( Hans Barf @ May 11th 2021,23:12:10 )

Yep, that is true. Make it optional and add a few extra options to accommodate the needs...
There are a lot of lies and fake things on the net (including GPRO). I could give examples: not everyone is what they seem. (I don't want to mention people.)
Is it important to expand this?
Ricardo Antunes
(Group Pro - 18)

Portugal 
Certified: 
Old post #132 posted May 11th 2021, 23:21:24 Quote 

not everyone is what they seem.

This is true, I am a fish.
Josh Clark
(Group Elite)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (4)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #133 posted May 11th 2021, 23:29:50 Quote 

Male
Female
Prefer not to say

Sure it is a solution, but that's not entirely fair either. Some people are very happy and proud to say their gender. Would you like it the other way, if the options were:

Female
Pangender
Prefer not to say

Males would probably be like "but I'm male... where's my option?".

Doesn't affect me either way btw, but if it's a change that's going to happen, there are definitely good and bad ways to do it.
Tibor Szuromi
(Group Amateur - 4)

Hungary 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #134 posted May 11th 2021, 23:36:38 Quote 
How much does this add to the game? This is the question for all proposals.
Armin van Hülkenburg
(Group Retired)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #135 posted May 11th 2021, 23:50:27 Quote 

Quote ( Josh Clark @ May 11th 2021,23:29:50 )

Sure it is a solution, but that's not entirely fair either. Some people are very happy and proud to say their gender.

Well then why don't we just make it an option of "Other", whereby the person is allowed to write in one word how they self-define.

Quote ( Josh Clark @ May 11th 2021,23:29:50 )

Would you like it the other way, if the options were:

Female
Pangender
Prefer not to say

Males would probably be like "but I'm male... where's my option?".

Whilst I'm all for inclusivity, male and female are how the extreme vast majority of people identify, whether they are trans or not for example, of course they're going to be there. The lives of those who self-identify differently would not be possible without the two :P

It would be like handing out a survey to determine how many left handers you have in school, except the two options are "left-handed" or "no arms".

Vitaly Sevov
(Group Amateur - 84)

Russian Federation 
Certified: 
Like this post (6)   Dislike this post (5)
Old post #136 posted May 12th 2021, 00:51:59 Quote 
I wonder when this topic is going to be closed at last... How many stupid things I am suposed to "learn" yet?
I already know that there are babies born without penis (even though in the article they only show its feet..., and we are suposed to believe everything they publish), I already know that at 12 it appears that we still are trying to discover who we are... Interesting. So when I was 5 at Kid's Garden it appears that we were fighting with other boys in order to kiss pretty Anya (who's lips were really damaged because of our frequent "attacks" ) only for fun? It could had been a boy? Something's wrong with you guys...
I think you are all victims of war for public opinion. The opinion of minorities is shown as a opinion of the vast majority. It's so pitty to see how easily you are being manipulated. There are plenty of much more important things to discuss especially today when we all lose our liberty to "invisible" enemy.
Niels Van Heijster
(Group Amateur - 9)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #137 posted May 12th 2021, 00:59:38 Quote 
Yup! Inching closer to topic closure ...
Roland Postle10
(Group Elite)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (11)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #138 posted May 12th 2021, 02:26:11 (last edited May 12th 2021, 02:28:55 by Roland Postle) Quote 
Quote ( Armin van Hülkenburg @ May 11th 2021,23:50:27 )

It would be like handing out a survey to determine how many left handers you have in school, except the two options are "left-handed" or "no arms".

I think you missed Josh's point. If your survey says:

Left-handed
Right-handed
Prefer not to say

This is a frustrating survey for ambidextrous people who are happy to tell you about it. If for example you don't let them into class without finishing the survey and picking some answer then they have no option but to lie. It also gives the impression you're implying ambidextrous people will automatically always be embarrassed to say they're not in one of the two majority groups for hand-brain wiring, when in fact it's your survey that has a problem with their brain wiring. It's a kind of blame shifting.

It says 'unknown' now (since before your suggestion) which seems a slightly odd choice to me but it's at least open to various interpretations about who doesn't know so better than the loaded 'Prefer not to say'. I don't really see what's wrong with 'Other' or blank if we really have to placate the illiberal and/or not overly complicate the form.

a lot of managers join this site at quite a young age (I originally joined the game at 12),

I would think if a young kid has parents wishing to protect them from the concept of non-binary gender - arguably at least a somewhat valid, even if futile, parental choice - then they should at least be making enough effort to stop them registering on a gaming site full of adults and where you have to lie about your age if you're under 16. And if GPRO is for whatever reason trying to humour those parents then this thread (and quite a few others) shouldn't exist.
Hans Barf
(Group Amateur - 23)

GPRO Crew
Netherlands 
Certified: 
Like this post (6)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #139 posted May 12th 2021, 08:18:06 Quote 
Quote ( Tibor Szuromi @ May 11th 2021,23:19:26 )

There are a lot of lies and fake things on the net (including GPRO). I could give examples: not everyone is what they seem. (I don't want to mention people.)

Is it important to expand this?

You missed the point here. Anyone who is handling personal data should to it on a need-to-know base and with consent. Gender is a personal identifier, just as birthdate, your photo etc. GPRO should not ask for data which is not essential to the game and also not show to it to the world if not needed. And if the data is unreliable as you say, it is all the more reason to make it optional.

Quote ( Ricardo Antunes @ May 11th 2021,23:21:24 )

not everyone is what they seem.

Please don't put words into my mouth I did not say. It should read: everybody lies.
Armin van Hülkenburg
(Group Retired)

Australia 
Certified: 
Like this post (4)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #140 posted May 12th 2021, 10:39:13 Quote 
Quote ( Roland Postle @ May 12th 2021,02:26:11 )

I think you missed Josh's point. If your survey says:

Left-handed
Right-handed
Prefer not to say

This is a frustrating survey for ambidextrous people who are happy to tell you about it. If for example you don't let them into class without finishing the survey and picking some answer then they have no option but to lie. It also gives the impression you're implying ambidextrous people will automatically always be embarrassed to say they're not in one of the two majority groups for hand-brain wiring, when in fact it's your survey that has a problem with their brain wiring. It's a kind of blame shifting.

It says 'unknown' now (since before your suggestion) which seems a slightly odd choice to me but it's at least open to various interpretations about who doesn't know so better than the loaded 'Prefer not to say'. I don't really see what's wrong with 'Other' or blank if we really have to placate the illiberal and/or not overly complicate the form.

You make an excellent point - ironically myself I'm mostly ambidextrous :P

As I say, I think a good option is to have the choice of "other" with the ability to write a single word answer that isn't listed.

Quote ( Roland Postle @ May 12th 2021,02:26:11 )

I would think if a young kid has parents wishing to protect them from the concept of non-binary gender - arguably at least a somewhat valid, even if futile, parental choice - then they should at least be making enough effort to stop them registering on a gaming site full of adults and where you have to lie about your age if you're under 16. And if GPRO is for whatever reason trying to humour those parents then this thread (and quite a few others) shouldn't exist.

I think back in 2007/2008 whenever I joined that this rule did not apply. Could be wrong.

I have a unique perspective into growing up with somewhat of an identity crisis. (I grew up an orphan with zero male role models throughout).

It wasn't something I was "protected" from per-se, in that I was always treated the same as anyone else when it came to things like making mothers/fathers day gifts in school etc. (Make one anyway and find someone to give it to).
It's very confusing for a young boy/man. You get kids coming up every couple of weeks asking how your parents died. it becomes somewhat inescapable at a less mature age that your identity could be anything other than being the kid with no parents. I probably didn't move past that identity crisis until 21 or 22, and it definitely delayed my development as a person.

So personally, I think it's good for younger people to feel like they can embrace an identity that they feel comfortable and at peace with. It's better than internally trying to shun an identity that you are not comfortable with (like me). But if we place the most important aspects of personal development in terms of identity (Gender/Sex/Orientation etc) up on a pedestal, it carries the risk of forming most of that person's identity.

To be different should be normal, not "special". (If that makes sense). More than ever kids seem to have a pressure on them nowadays to be special and stand out, and I think that's where the danger lays in putting these differences on a pedestal. Any younger person going through an identity crisis is susceptible to look for the right answers in the wrong places.

Constantin Heller
(Group Amateur - 51)

Germany 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #141 posted May 12th 2021, 12:09:29 Quote 
Quote ( Tibor Szuromi @ May 11th 2021,23:36:38 )

How much does this add to the game? This is the question for all proposals.

For those who it affects, it makes the forum a welcoming place where they're free to show their true identity like everyone else already can rather than being forced to present themselves as someone who they are not.

What do the options "male" and "female" add?
Tibor Szuromi
(Group Amateur - 4)

Hungary 
Certified: 
Old post #142 posted May 12th 2021, 12:26:57 Quote 
@Constantin Heller (A51)
The uncontrollable data tell me nothing because I don’t know if it’s trues or not.
I play here and I don't care about my opponents' identity, age, country, ....

Maybe I’ve already mentioned that a lot of people don’t say a true flag and much more. It is not worth explaining and giving examples in more detail.(I note to myself that this is .... . That's it.)
Constantin Heller
(Group Amateur - 51)

Germany 
Certified: 
Old post #143 posted May 12th 2021, 12:50:00 Quote 
I mean yeah I wouldn't be opposed to removing gender entirely, because to me this website is an F1 management game with a forum attached rather than a social media platform. However the admins appear to hold a different opinion. So if name and gender must be given, there should also be options for everyone, and it should be possible to change them.

But yes, I fully agree that it makes little sense to insist on this data when it's not controlled upon registration.
Lee Ifans
(Group Master - 3)

Venezuela 
Certified: 
Like this post (10)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #144 posted May 12th 2021, 15:09:08 Quote 
Quote ( Mark Witney @ May 10th 2021,15:02:25 )

we seem to be in a situation where if your straight, white and make you need to apologise for it.

When, and be honest, have you ever had to actually apologize for being straight, white and male?

Check your privilege mate.
Tibor Szuromi
(Group Amateur - 4)

Hungary 
Certified: 
Old post #145 posted May 12th 2021, 15:36:32 Quote 
It is not closely related to the topic.

The registered gender must be entered everywhere in Hungary. We know from the first name that he is a boy / girl.

The screw comes:
Andrea girl (Hungarian);
Andrea boy (Italian).

The first name of Hungarians (Japanese) is 2. (Here we intentionally write to 1.)

Szuromi Tibor (Hungarian) Here: Tibor Szuromi.

Gareth Griffiths
(Group Amateur - 23)

Canada 
Certified: 
Old post #146 posted May 12th 2021, 17:32:40 Quote 
As with all databases asking for personal info, first question is what do you need the info for. How essential is it to know the gender. Do you report on the % of female users in the game and is it reliable

If it is not essential, it is definitely worth either making it optional, having an Other (although this may be problematic), changeable or removing cvompletely off the profile page

I get the reason for using names. It does cut down a lot of trolling and abuse. Being able to change it (married name change or other legal reasons) would be a good option and needing crew approval of the name change is a good safeguard to make sure the name is reasonable

Tibor Szuromi
(Group Amateur - 4)

Hungary 
Certified: 
Old post #147 posted May 12th 2021, 17:50:27 Quote 
@Gareth Griffiths (A23) Today, we do not know the marital status of women by name in Hungary either.

Formerly married name: her husband's first name was a + "né".

There is a lot of chaos these days.
Daryl Gee
(Group Amateur - 83)

South Africa 
Certified: 
Old post #148 posted May 12th 2021, 22:59:46 Quote 

Fair enough, I've always thought you were a bit fishy.
Ricardo Antunes
(Group Pro - 18)

Portugal 
Certified: 
Old post #149 posted May 12th 2021, 23:04:55 Quote 
Quote ( Daryl Gee @ May 12th 2021,22:59:46 )

Fair enough, I've always thought you were a bit fishy.

SOMEONE DID WHAT I WANTED THEM TO!

Good job Daryl! High-five!
Daryl Gee
(Group Amateur - 83)

South Africa 
Certified: 
Old post #150 posted May 12th 2021, 23:06:28 Quote 
It was just hanging there, I couldn't leave it.

Anyway, back to cocks.
Page « 1 2 3 4 [5 Quick go to page:

Reply to this topic