Page « 1 2 3 4 [56 7 » Quick go to page:
Author Topic: It's coming home 195 replies
George Togas
(Group Pro - 13)

Greece 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #121 posted Jul 12th 2021, 01:07:40 (last edited Jul 12th 2021, 01:16:17 by George Togas) Quote 
Quote ( Chris Adnams @ July 12th 2021,00:09:59 )

Italy deserved the win tonight.
I am not sure they deserved it. But you can't complain about losing it.

Edit. I am referring to the final
Jonathan Beagles
(Group Pro - 20)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (3)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #122 posted Jul 12th 2021, 01:19:26 Quote 
Quote ( Chris Adnams @ July 12th 2021,00:34:04 )

My country made a tournament final for the first time in 2 generations. We are well versed in tournament disappointment. The team has lifted this country and bought people together when it really needed it, and it really did need it, and that is by far the most important thing. Once the disappointment has come and gone, all that will remain is pride in the boys and how well they have done.

This.

Quote ( Quentin Rieg @ July 12th 2021,01:04:16 )

England made all to create haters

Really? Although...

booing national anthems

That is true. Absolute ignorant appalling 1% of fans that make the rest of us look bad. Please don't judge our entire country (or any of our team) by the behaviour of a few idiots who wouldn't understand what class was if it smacked them in the face!

diving

1 player in 1 big moment felt a touch and went down easily. It's hardly limited to us, to be fair...you have seen the Italian team play this tournament, right? :)

singing "it's coming home"

It's a really catchy song - sorry your countries didn't come up with anything that's just as catchy! :P

even though they didn't win anything since 1966

And that's why we are quite so insufferable...when we get this close, it means SO much. The only other team that could possibly understand how we feel right now are someone like the Netherlands or Belgium. For all you Italians, Spaniards, Germans, French, Portuguese...it's easy to accept when it goes against you, because you remember a time when it all came right. The Dutch (and arguably the Belgians more recently) are about the only teams who understand the weight of expectation vs the pain of not living up to it by bringing home the trophy for such a long time...and we have a good 22 years on the Dutch in that regard!

That's just normal for other countries to support Italy tonight.

Yep supporting Italy is absolutely fine - and even understandable, as you say. Right now, English people are hurting...badly. So where a few of us will take exception is people rubbing it in. There is of course an element of "if you can give it, you should be able to take it". It just hurts that we always seem to end up getting close...but not close enough.

Anyway, World Cup 2022 here we come! :)
Chris Adnams
(Group Master - 5)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #123 posted Jul 12th 2021, 01:20:26 Quote 
Quote ( George Togas @ July 12th 2021,01:07:40 )

Quote ( Chris Adnams @ July 12th 2021,00:09:59 )

Italy deserved the win tonight. I am not sure they deserved it. But you can't complain about losing it.

Edit. I am referring to the final

No complaints about losing here. Other than the goal, we didn't give Donnarumma anything meaningful to do in 120 minutes. Italy probably should have done more with the pressure they had, but in the end they got the win and that's all that matters, regardless of anything else.
Tim Wagner
(Group Pro - 6)

Germany 
Certified: 
Old post #124 posted Jul 12th 2021, 01:28:52 Quote 
I liked the English team tbf. Reminded me a lot of Germany 2008 - On the brink of something that could be great to watch. Young players, nice gameplay, and now a lot of good and sad experiences that will make them stronger.

The English fans however made me glad that Italy won. There are lots of videos and articles around of people storming Wembley or threatning/hurting supporters from other nations. Sure, it's the minority, but it really makes it easy to antagonise them.

Really not sure if I want England to host a proper Euro/World Cup after that recent display.
André de Carvalho
(Group Amateur - 75)

Brazil 
Certified: 
Old post #125 posted Jul 12th 2021, 01:41:26 Quote 
IT'S COMMING HOME!
Jonathan Beagles
(Group Pro - 20)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #126 posted Jul 12th 2021, 01:43:39 Quote 

Quote ( Tim Wagner @ July 12th 2021,01:28:52 )

Really not sure if I want England to host a proper Euro/World Cup after that recent display.

Absolutely valid - no chance of home advantage for us in a major tournament for a LOOOONG time.
Jun Ho
(Group Pro - 18)

Hong Kong 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #127 posted Jul 12th 2021, 01:44:54 Quote 
Quote ( Tim Wagner @ July 12th 2021,01:28:52 )

I liked the English team tbf. Reminded me a lot of Germany 2008 - On the brink of something that could be great to watch. Young players, nice gameplay, and now a lot of good and sad experiences that will make them stronger.

The English fans however made me glad that Italy won. There are lots of videos and articles around of people storming Wembley or threatning/hurting supporters from other nations. Sure, it's the minority, but it really makes it easy to antagonise them.

There has been videos of English fans attacking Italian fans at the stadium, waiting for them to leave and then kick them when they are down. Utter shit from the English fans. We don't deserve to host anything lol
Tim Wagner
(Group Pro - 6)

Germany 
Certified: 
Old post #128 posted Jul 12th 2021, 01:50:51 (last edited Jul 12th 2021, 01:52:47 by Tim Wagner) Quote 
Yeah, I've seen those too. Also people who blame the skin colour of Rashford, Sancho and Saka for the loss.
Read about an article where they beat up Danish supporters in a bus on their way home. Mocking a 10-year old German supporter who was crying and calling her inappropiate names. Sore losers and crappy winners.

Shows the state of the country tbh. But meh, that's drifting into politics.
Twig Fahaji
(Group Elite)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #129 posted Jul 12th 2021, 01:53:18 Quote 
Quote ( Chris Adnams @ July 12th 2021,00:34:04 )

You know what, if it makes you feel better, you do what you like. No skin off my nose. What I will say is don't judge an entire country based on a few morons. Yes we have a few (more than a few unfortunately) but 99% of us aren't like that. ;)

Agree with the sentiment but it’s not 99% unfortunately.
Chris Adnams
(Group Master - 5)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (6)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #130 posted Jul 12th 2021, 01:55:22 Quote 
Yeah, you're right. This country is full of dickheads. It just pisses me off when people from elsewhere see that and assume we are all the same. We are not. I do not associate myself in any way whatsoever with these people or their actions.
Jordy Battello
(Group Amateur - 38)

Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #131 posted Jul 12th 2021, 02:04:54 Quote 
Quote ( Twig Fahaji @ July 9th 2021,01:15:34 )

Quote ( Richard Robin Paukson @ July 8th 2021,22:25:38 )

Doesn't mean it was a good decision. Also, I believe most people probably hate England for its fans, not the players.

Quite understandable to be honest. Usually the players are quite dislikable too but the current group seem to be a decent bunch, as is the manager. Makes a nice change.

Personally I would have preferred England not to get that penalty, as it felt like they were going to score anyway and it would have felt a lot less lucky that way.

As for the VAR call, they've been told not to overrule unless they can be certain, and as much as I hate the expression "there was contact" as a desperate excuse for athletes falling over, ultimately from a VAR perspective that is a crucial element - you can only definitively say it was a dive if there was no contact at all. I was a bit puzzled that the referee wasn't asked to review on a monitor, but it seems they're not keen on doing that this time, perhaps for red card decisions only.

dude where whas the rest and the bad when England made a handsbal in the box ? so shut zo up England had alot luck also on cards where they only tot Ine they would have gotten alot more with a more neutral reff!
André de Carvalho
(Group Amateur - 75)

Brazil 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #132 posted Jul 12th 2021, 02:22:30 Quote 
Quote ( Chris Adnams @ July 12th 2021,01:55:22 )

Yeah, you're right. This country is full of dickheads. It just pisses me off when people from elsewhere see that and assume we are all the same. We are not. I do not associate myself in any way whatsoever with these people or their actions.

Mate... No offense meant here, but you can't expect anyone to treat you by any other standards after all the propaganda AND the way it have been unfolding.

I am not too sorry.
Ivelin Dobrev
(Group Rookie - 140)

Canada 
Certified: 
Old post #133 posted Jul 12th 2021, 04:30:09 Quote 
Worst thread by far this season. Oscars are coming up soon, you know what to do.
André de Carvalho
(Group Amateur - 75)

Brazil 
Certified: 
Old post #134 posted Jul 12th 2021, 06:13:41 Quote 
Best thread ever
Mato Nikic
(Group Master - 3)

Bosnia-Herzegovina 
Certified: 
Old post #135 posted Jul 12th 2021, 06:48:15 (last edited Jul 12th 2021, 06:50:58 by Mato Nikić) Quote 
Congrats to Italy! Absolutly deserved.
England? 2018 semifinals, now the final, well done! I think this team is young and strong enough to do well in years to come, as well as Feance, Spain and Italy if they find good subs for Chiellini snd Bonucci.
Sagar Abhyankar
(Group Amateur - 40)

India 
Certified: 
Old post #136 posted Jul 12th 2021, 07:11:01 Quote 
Quote ( Scott Wood @ July 7th 2021,20:35:16 )

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

but it went to an address in Italy.....

Congrats Italy..... (I supported them always)
Shaun Thornton
(Group Pro - 18)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #137 posted Jul 12th 2021, 07:53:23 (last edited Jul 12th 2021, 12:25:35 by Mick Ridley) Quote 
Quote ( Miel Soeterbroek @ July 12th 2021,00:55:23 )

Quote ( Shaun Thornton @ July 12th 2021,00:48:04 )

all you other England haters, sort your life’s out, you set of sad bastards.

And by England haters you mean anyone non-italian that had an opinion on the match and/or wanted italy to win, correct?

Baffling isn't it, that the whole world isn't on your side. Spotless history and all that.

who are you to assume what I meant?
I stated the England haters and that’s what I meant. People who hate England. The clue is in the words.

Quentin Rieg
(Group Rookie - 96)

France 
Certified: 
Like this post (4)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #138 posted Jul 12th 2021, 08:48:10 Quote 
Jonathan, I don't think all english fans have such a behaviour, but booing national anthems (not 1% of fans that's not true) + people who came in Wembley without tickets before the match + racism under Saka's posts + referee for England against Denmark + violence around Wembley + arrogant fans singing "it's coming home", all these things are enough for me and a lot of people to support the other team. And yes, I know that most english fans are not as dumb as this.
André de Carvalho
(Group Amateur - 75)

Brazil 
Certified: 
Old post #139 posted Jul 12th 2021, 08:57:34 Quote 
IT'S COMING HOME!
Steve Dawson
(Group Amateur - 51)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #140 posted Jul 12th 2021, 09:28:58 Quote 
It's coming, Rome!
Shaun Thornton
(Group Pro - 18)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #141 posted Jul 12th 2021, 09:55:39 Quote 
It’s disappointing for us England fans obviously, but the better team on the night, and throughout the tournament won.

I’m still proud of the team for getting to the final.

I just don't get all the England hate, and tarring us all with the same brush as the minority idiots.

Congrats to all the Italians out there, you have a fantastic team. Hope your head is not as sore as mine this morning.
Davide Panella
(Group Pro - 25)

Italy 
Certified: 
Old post #142 posted Jul 12th 2021, 10:01:19 Quote 
AHAHAHA GODO
Steve Dawson
(Group Amateur - 51)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #143 posted Jul 12th 2021, 10:27:08 Quote 
Our local sport talk-back radio station has a segment on Monday afternoons during their drive show called "rocks & pox". A popular one today was:

Rocks - England losing the final {because us Aussies love seeing the old enemy losing anything :-)}

Pox - Italy winning the final {because of their continued Olympic gold medal-worthy diving efforts}
Daniele Ambroggi
(Group Rookie - 41)

Italy 
Certified: 
Like this post (5)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #144 posted Jul 12th 2021, 10:38:06 Quote 
Quote ( Scott Wood @ July 7th 2021,20:35:16 )

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Hey mate,

when you'll have another prediction let us know please :)

Cheers
Davide Panella
(Group Pro - 25)

Italy 
Certified: 
Old post #145 posted Jul 12th 2021, 12:08:20 Quote 
Can anyone tell me if they have already made Sir and Baronet Southgate and Sterling?
Cameron Halsall
(Group Amateur - 25)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #146 posted Jul 12th 2021, 12:16:06 (last edited Jul 12th 2021, 12:22:16 by Cameron Halsall) Quote 
Gotta be honest we had an easy half of the draw and certainly luck played into getting to the final, but the tactical decisions made were never going to work. Southgate is a great people manager but he rests on his laurels and can't get the job done against a good team. You don't sub on inexperienced players just so they can take penalties, and I think they will be in for a shock in Qatar.

The less said about the team's attitude towards the fans the better, but the veneer of unity the media has banged on about for the past couple months is gone, and the players will have to do a lot to win back people's faith. English football culture is uniquely special and a lot of bandwagoners have been shocked at how brutal English fans can be towards other teams. Sure a small minority are happy with wanton destruction and nobody condones that, but self deprecation and intimidation are part of the sport and people who get offended were never real fans to begin with.
Davide Panella
(Group Pro - 25)

Italy 
Certified: 
Old post #147 posted Jul 12th 2021, 12:21:38 (last edited Jul 12th 2021, 12:22:02 by Davide Panella) Quote 
Quote ( Cameron Halsall @ July 12th 2021,12:16:06 )

Gotta be honest we had an easy half of the draw and certainly luck played into getting to the final, but the tactical decisions made were never going to work. Southgate is a great people manager but he rests on his laurels and can't get the job done against a good team. You don't sub on inexperienced players just so they can take penalties, and I think they will be in for a shock in Qatar. The less said about the team's attitude towards the fans the better, but the veneer of unity the media has banged on about for the past couple months is gone, and the players will have to do a lot to win back people's faith.

Being convinced you won from the start just because you always played at home in a traveling tournament didn't help the team. You have been so haughty and that could not give me more pleasure
Cameron Halsall
(Group Amateur - 25)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #148 posted Jul 12th 2021, 12:24:53 Quote 
Sure the team had an easy time of it and that's kinda my point, these people are not deities but mere flesh and blood, and we have always treated our players as such because they come from within. That's just who we are.
Alexander Kleinbaum
(Group Rookie - 26)

North Macedonia 
Certified: 
Old post #149 posted Jul 12th 2021, 12:24:54 Quote 
Quote ( Davide Panella @ July 12th 2021,12:21:38 )

Gotta be honest we had an easy half of the draw and certainly luck played into getting to the final, but the tactical decisions made were never going to work. Southgate is a great people manager but he rests on his laurels and can't get the job done against a good team. You don't sub on inexperienced players just so they can take penalties, and I think they will be in for a shock in Qatar. The less said about the team's attitude towards the fans the better, but the veneer of unity the media has banged on about for the past couple months is gone, and the players will have to do a lot to win back people's faith.

Being convinced you won from the start just because you always played at home in a traveling tournament didn't help the team. You have been so haughty and that could not give me more pleasure
the whole team was probably on some kind of bullshit, which meant England was going to fuck it up at the Final, which happened. Not surprised by the penalties, though. Those penalties were worse, my sister could do fuckin' better.
Tibor Szuromi
(Group Pro - 23)

Hungary 
Certified: 
Old post #150 posted Jul 12th 2021, 12:25:34 Quote 

the players will have to do a lot to win back people's faith.
Will 55 years be enough?
Page « 1 2 3 4 [56 7 » Quick go to page:

Reply to this topic