Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Off topic forum > A discussion with Sam Martin (enter at own risk) Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist
Page [12 3 4 5 » Quick go to page:
Author Topic: A discussion with Sam Martin (enter at own risk) 121 replies
Sam Martin
(Group Rookie - 117)

United States 
Certified: 
Like this post (7)   Dislike this post (37)
Old post #1 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 05:17:34 (last edited Nov 23rd 2021, 18:38:08 by Florencia Caro) Quote 
Dear Roy,

I know it is hard for you to grasp, but holding a difference of opinion is not a sign of a lack of intelligence. Discussing a topic, and even presenting an opposing viewpoint, is a natural thing for most intelligent people.

I do not start with the assumption that people don't agree with me because their intelligence is low. I actually start with the assumption that ignorance is the leading cause of viewpoints differing, and so discussion can help people to gain a better understanding of the situation.

Each time someone posts a viewpoint that differs from mine: I read it to see if that viewpoint is valid.

This is fundamentally different than reading with the intent of refuting, as most people do in forums these days.

Specifically to GPRO: the game caters to a more cerebral group.
The game is about making decisions, not about reflexes, nor is it about mindless hack and slash.

My assumption is that the community is well above average intelligence.

However: I have noticed a few people, maybe as many as 2 dozen, seem to think that holding an "unpopular" belief is unacceptable, and that they should ridicule until you agree with them.

To these people: I'm inclined to respond in kind, and return contempt for contempt.

But there are clearly many people who are friendly, helpful, intelligent, and polite.

Despite you getting triggered, I do think you're among the intelligent people, and I was enjoying discussions with you until you went off on "conspiracy theories" when I made mention of some of the things going on at the higher levels of decision making in the world.

Do you really believe that there is no such thing as organized crime?
Do you think all conspiracy is a hoax?
Why would it be a legal term, if it wasn't a real thing?
Why is racketeering a criminal offense, if it doesn't happen?

The short version is: Yes, I believe people do things that are in their own best interest, or at least that they think are, and make choices that exploit others.

This leads to things like scams, Ponzi schemes, corporate and government corruption, election tampering, etc.

If everyone is being honest, and there is no propaganda:
Why has the media in the USA had a 6% credibility rating since about the 1980s? I think it is even lower now.

The short answer is: the media has openly admitted they are about entertainment, and do not expect to be held accountable for accurate news reporting.

Additionally: the population has been trained how to suspend disbelief. While you watch a movie, or TV show, everything in it is real. Then, when the show is over: you go back to your life, and you've "enjoyed the entertainment."

In the movie Back to the Future: Marty really did travel back in time in a car, until you walk out of the theater. Star Trek took you to planets across the galaxy, and Star Wars took you into the deep past, in a distant galaxy.

This is entertainment, but it affects your world view, despite being fiction.

Likewise: they can use truth in these shows, small and big, and condition you to think they are just made up.
Communicators that
you just flip open, and fit in 1 hand? Once fiction, now real.
Handheld energy weapons that can stun a person?
We have those now.
Doors that automatically open when you walk up to them?
Fairly common.
Warp drives to move faster than light?
Under development at NASA.

Directional radio transmitters?
Been around for a long time.

Ability to heat air / water / other stuff using light / energy?
Microwave ovens and lasers, among others.

Is everyone with access to technology benign?
Has everyone who's held a gun only shot deserving people?
Or have they been used for criminal activity?

What about people driving cars?
Have cars ever been misused?

I'm sorry that my pointing out that people in power are often corrupt upset you, but it is a fact of life. It is also a fact that power attracts corrupt people.

The USA set a standard of 2% for democratic countries to validate their elections. If the error is greater than 2%, it indicates there has been election tampering.

Despite this: The USA uses a 4% standard for the US elections, indicating that the USA finds election tampering "tolerable".
I don't think there has been a US presidential election since the 1980s that has been below the 2% error rate.

But I'm not upset about it. I'm sorry that you are.
I still think the USA is "the best game in town."

I know others feel other countries are better.
I'm okay with that too.
They can choose to live in a different country.
I've been in more than a dozen, and I've mostly been happy to get back to the USA. To each their own.

At the end of the day: this is a community that likes the game GPRO, and we have that in common. If we met on the street, we could go grab a brew together, and talk about GPRO strategy, design, or history, and have a pleasant evening, and part as friends.

Mod Edit: Title
Luke Frost
(Group Pro - 20)

Australia 
Certified: 
Like this post (42)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #2 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 05:28:55 Quote 
If the mail is addressed to Roy, send it to Roy. Nobody else gives a s%^& anyway.....
Sam Martin
(Group Rookie - 117)

United States 
Certified: 
Like this post (4)   Dislike this post (18)
Old post #3 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 06:04:52 Quote 
Quote ( Luke Frost @ November 23rd 2021,05:28:55 )

Nobody else gives a s%^& anyway.....
Since Roy asked in the forums, the forums were a reasonable place to reply.

Since his question was off topic, it makes more sense to break out from the topic to answer it.

Also, since the content is about the GPRO community in general: it is of general interest, and so for general consumption.

But I can understand, which what Australia is going through now, that your mood would leave you short tempered. God speed in the next race.

B)
Archit Modi
(Group Amateur - 77)

India 
Certified: 
Like this post (7)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #4 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 07:08:14 Quote 
What's up with the attitude Sam? This is a game and people come here to chill out from their lives, and if you're going to waste server space here like this, no one is going to tolerate you here. It's that simple. Common sense.

Quote ( Sam Martin @ November 23rd 2021,06:04:52 )

it is of general interest

And sorry to break it to you now, nobody gives two flying ducks about your highly intelligent opinions and interests.

Quote ( Sam Martin @ November 23rd 2021,06:04:52 )

But I can understand, which what Australia is going through now, that your mood would leave you short tempered.

Do you really just have to be racist and pathetic like this in every comment you write? At least Australia doesn't have so much gun violence like your great USA...
André de Carvalho
(Group Amateur - 75)

Brazil 
Certified: 
Like this post (21)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #5 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 07:23:31 Quote 
Stop. Feeding. The troll.

Just ignore and he goes away like a smelly fart.

Luke Frost
(Group Pro - 20)

Australia 
Certified: 
Like this post (3)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #6 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 08:38:21 (last edited Nov 23rd 2021, 08:39:01 by Luke Frost) Quote 
Quote ( Archit Modi @ November 23rd 2021,07:08:14 )

But I can understand, which what Australia is going through now, that your mood would leave you short tempered. God speed in the next race.

Turn off the news and ask somebody. Nothing wrong at all in Australia, no covid, or threat at the moment. But I understand some of the news channels in USA are of the opinion that Australia is so far away they can just make up whatever bs they want about how we're living and it'll enrage whoever is dumb enough to listen to those channels.

So with my country being in such a good state at the moment, my good mood has given me the confidence to tell you to just PM Roy because nobody cares
Geoff Todd
(Group Rookie - 34)

Australia 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #7 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 09:15:50 Quote 
Ditto Luke.
Ricardo Antunes
(Group Amateur - 28)

Portugal 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #8 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 09:18:25 Quote 
HA! I WAS RIGHT BEFORE I KNEW IT!

Quote ( Ricardo Antunes @ November 18th 2021,20:53:55 )

If I were to guess this thread is in response to this post:

Quote ( Sardar Khan @ November 18th 2021,09:33:53 )

That i am able to do Qualifying with 100% worn parts. This should not be allowed fundamentally.

Creating a thread just to talk about it though... :|

Yeeeeeah you regret doubting me now! Fear the Rickers intrepertations skills!!!!
Miel Soeterbroek
(Group Elite)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #9 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 09:31:56 Quote 
This thread is all about you, Ric
Chris Shaw
(Group Amateur - 36)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #10 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 10:19:08 Quote 
TLDR, what's up with Roy? Giz the juicy gos'

*sips tea*
Kirsty Ridley
(Group Amateur - 26)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #11 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 11:28:40 Quote 
What a knob
Quote ( André de Carvalho @ November 23rd 2021,07:23:31 )

Stop. Feeding. The troll.

Just ignore and he goes away like a smelly fart.

He wont though! He has to keep making threads for attention! :P I really tink we need that ability to block individual ppl!!!!
Richard Robin Paukson
(Group Pro - 6)

Estonia 
Certified: 
Old post #12 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 11:35:21 Quote 
Quote ( Kirsty Ridley @ November 23rd 2021,11:28:40 )

He wont though! He has to keep making threads for attention! :P I really tink we need that ability to block individual ppl!!!!

How do you know? Have people stopped giving him attention? And there is a plug-in for blocking people's posts. :)
Sam Martin
(Group Rookie - 117)

United States 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (4)
Old post #13 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 13:42:32 Quote 

What's up with the attitude Sam?
Quote ( Sam Martin @ November 23rd 2021,05:17:34 )

At the end of the day: this is a community that likes the game GPRO, and we have that in common. If we met on the street, we could go grab a brew together, and talk about GPRO strategy, design, or history, and have a pleasant evening, and part as friends.
Maybe you're the one with an attitude problem?
My attitude is that we should all be able to get along, and not lash out at someone for holding a differing opinion.

Quote ( Luke Frost @ November 23rd 2021,08:38:21 )

But I understand some of the news channels in USA are of the opinion that Australia is so far away they can just make up whatever bs they want about how we're living
True, the media has a very low credibility rating. The problem is: people pass that info on, and so even not watching TV, some bad info gets passed along.

it'll enrage whoever is dumb enough to listen to those channels.

Doesn't enrage me, I just feel badly for Australia.

my good mood has given me the confidence to tell you to just PM Roy because nobody cares
I missed your good mood in your attitude, plus: Roy made the comment in the forums, so the forums were the appropriate place to reply.
Thijs Rieken
(Group Amateur - 42)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Like this post (4)   Dislike this post (2)
Old post #14 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 13:44:46 Quote 
Classic conspiracy rambling goes like:
- long listing of pretty loosely related facts and/or pseudo facts
- "I (don't) think that " followed by a completely non argumented phrase, implying it clearly shows a conspiracy taking place.

The long listing has two goals:
First, most people would just go TL;DR and go on with their days, leaving two kinds of people to actually read the whole thing. The first group being necessary as people to push off against.

Then the second group and reason: those that are easy to convince and eager to read will reach the end and just swallow the last bit without looking twice. Everything else was presented nicely as facts, so the last bit probably makes perfect sense too, right? *gulp*

Also, I think I'm pure genius, because my IQ test showed such a low score the test must have not been designed for smart people like me. I think.
Miel Soeterbroek
(Group Elite)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Like this post (10)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #15 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 13:46:52 (last edited Nov 23rd 2021, 13:47:50 by Miel Soeterbroek) Quote 
Quote ( Sam Martin @ November 23rd 2021,13:42:32 )

Roy made the comment in the forums, so the forums were the appropriate place to reply.

Imagine working in a big office, multiple meeting rooms. You're in one. Someone says something there. You proceed to walk out into the hallway, enter another meeting room, and reply to what that someone had said.

He said it in a meeting room, and you're replying in a meeting room too, right.

BUT ITS A DIFFERENT DAMN MEETING ROOM FFS
Thijs Rieken
(Group Amateur - 42)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #16 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 13:47:59 Quote 
Quote ( Miel Soeterbroek @ November 23rd 2021,13:46:52 )

Roy made the comment in the forums, so the forums were the appropriate place to reply.

Imagine working in a big office, multiple meeting rooms. You're in one. Someone says somethng there. You proceed to walk out into the hallway, enter another meeting room, and reply to what that someone had said.

He said it in a meeting room, and you're replying in a meeting room too, right.

BUT ITS A DIFFERENT DAMN MEETING ROOM FFS

Plot twist: your office is the Cube, and all meeting room entrances end up in the SAME ROOM
Sam Martin
(Group Rookie - 117)

United States 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (6)
Old post #17 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 13:50:44 (last edited Nov 23rd 2021, 13:57:42 by Jordan Bell) Quote 
@Thijs Rieken (A42) Sounds like you've been brainwashed into thinking there is no such thing as organized crime, or corruption in government. Do you really think governments are more concerned about helping the little people over consolidating their own power?

Quote ( Miel Soeterbroek @ November 23rd 2021,13:46:52 )

Imagine working in a big office,
Yeah, I can imagine that, and get your point, but: It is a poor analogy.

The title started with the question Roy asked, so this "meeting room" was specifically set up to deal with the topic that Roy brought up in another meeting room, which had nothing to do with his question.

So let's look at a better representation of your analogy:

Meeting being held to discuss something for the company.
Someone walks in, makes a comment with contempt aimed at the person leading the meeting.
That person later sets up another meeting to address the comment, and behavior of the person who interrupts.

Then you go into that meeting, and decide to go off topic in that meeting, starting a new topic to show your contempt for the person who started the meeting.

TLDR: Just play nice, and you'll get the same back.
Thijs Rieken
(Group Amateur - 42)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #18 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 13:51:46 Quote 
Quote ( Sam Martin @ November 23rd 2021,13:50:44 )

@Thijs Rieken (A42) Sounds like you've been brainwashed into thinking there is no such thing as organized crime, or corruption in government. Do you really think governments are more concerned about helping the little people over consolidating their own power?

Oh I forgot one part it seems: disagreeing with the last part of the conspiracy post obviously means I disagree with the entire post.
Sam Martin
(Group Rookie - 117)

United States 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (6)
Old post #19 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 14:01:15 (last edited Nov 23rd 2021, 14:02:23 by Jordan Bell) Quote 
Quote ( Thijs Rieken @ November 23rd 2021,13:51:46 )

Oh I forgot one part it seems: disagreeing with the last part of the conspiracy post
Your calling it a conspiracy post is what makes it seem like you're brainwashed.

You're having a clear triggered reaction to that word.

The post wasn't a conspiracy post, it referenced someone else getting triggered by what they considered to be a conspiracy: Directional radio antennas. (Which have been around for decades.)

But addressing an example doesn't mean that was the point of the post, despite your getting triggered.
Miel Soeterbroek
(Group Elite)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Like this post (4)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #20 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 14:04:40 Quote 
We're having a triggered reaction to any word you utter, you condescending pile of poop.
Ricardo Antunes
(Group Amateur - 28)

Portugal 
Certified: 
Old post #21 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 14:05:15 Quote 

Do you really believe that there is no such thing as organized crime?
Do you think all conspiracy is a hoax?
Why would it be a legal term, if it wasn't a real thing?
Why is racketeering a criminal offense, if it doesn't happen?

I just have a question:

Who said none of these things were true?

Last time I remember, people were saying that the Global Warmin conspiracy (saying it doesnt exist) its stupid/hoax/whatever

I dont even know how organized crime got into the discussion, but did people say "Organized Crime isn't real"

Or... are you taking things out of context and generalizing them for things that really aren't the same as what was being debated in the first place?...

Also i have never even seen the word racketeering in my life and i dont even remember seeing it in the forums. Go figure...
Thijs Rieken
(Group Amateur - 42)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #22 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 14:05:21 Quote 
Oh I wasn't reacting to you in the first place, I was just typing a random story about conspiracy ramblings. Completely unrelated.
It might not have been in the right place, but who gives? We just throw our replies on the forum wherever the f*ck we want nowadays apparently, so I just followed the same behaviour.
Sara Lingrey
(Group Amateur - 9)

Australia 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #23 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 14:12:48 Quote 

What's up with the attitude Sam? Quote ( Sam Martin @ November 23rd 2021,05:17:34

My attitude is that we should all be able to get along, and not lash out at someone for holding a differing opinion.

Yet you attack Australia for no apparent reason.
Thijs Rieken
(Group Amateur - 42)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #24 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 14:13:43 Quote 
Quote ( Sara Lingrey @ November 23rd 2021,14:12:48 )

What's up with the attitude Sam? Quote ( Sam Martin @ November 23rd 2021,05:17:34

Well this went South...
Ricardo Antunes
(Group Amateur - 28)

Portugal 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #25 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 14:15:27 Quote 
Quote ( Thijs Rieken @ November 23rd 2021,14:13:43 )

Well this went South...

Actually, it went htuoS
Miel Soeterbroek
(Group Elite)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Like this post (3)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #26 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 14:31:27 (last edited Nov 23rd 2021, 14:35:37 by Miel Soeterbroek) Quote 

He packaged his attack in a thin envelope of empathy/compassion (i understand [...] godspeed [...] . He did the same with some age related insults towards Roy earlier, it's his regular m.o.

And because he packs it in a meaningless paper bag of niceness, it's all ok with him, zero wrongdoing. Anyone who points this out will be wrong themselves (either told in a reply or in a new thread)

Edit: This guy really isnt all that complex: another one from his regular playbook is asking others for data to corroborate their points relentlessly. When asked to do that himself, the thread dies.

We're still waiting for details on brakes being perfect up to 100% wear, as well as a single source that agrees with him about 1250 AD being colder than it is now. Heck, we could still do with a source about the y2k hoax too.

To clarify, by "still waiting" i dont mean actual waiting, we know it wont come. Stay tuned for another random thread invasion.

Or should someone ask for data here first, before we can move on?
Mikael Brostrom
(Group Master - 5)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #27 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 14:32:19 Quote 

I actually start with the assumption that ignorance is the leading cause of viewpoints differing
Seriously? When someone disagrees with you, you immediately assume it's because they are ignorant?
Max Watson
(Group Master - 5)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (5)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #28 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 14:41:12 Quote 
Quote ( Sam Martin @ November 23rd 2021,13:50:44 )

TLDR: Just play nice, and you'll get the same back.

Excellent, let us know when you start =]
Sam Martin
(Group Rookie - 117)

United States 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (5)
Old post #29 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 14:42:33 Quote 
Quote ( Miel Soeterbroek @ November 23rd 2021,14:04:40 )

you condescending pile of poop.
You've described yourself very well.

Quote ( Ricardo Antunes @ November 23rd 2021,14:05:15 )

Who said none of these things were true?
My point is: people believe they are true, but also believe the means that they are achieved is a hoax. You can't have it both ways. "A rose by any other name..."

Quote ( Thijs Rieken @ November 23rd 2021,14:05:21 )

We just throw our replies on the forum wherever the f*ck we want nowadays apparently, so I just followed the same behaviour.
Sheep mentality, got it.

I didn't attack Australia at all. I understood that the situation there could be the cause of his behavior. Was not anything derogatory towards the country, or it's people. Main thing I have against it is that it has 9 of the 10 most venomous snakes. I hear they taste just like chicken though, so I guess they are not all bad.
Miel Soeterbroek
(Group Elite)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #30 posted Nov 23rd 2021, 14:48:40 Quote 
I've had a moment to reflect, and i think we're all just reading Sam's intentions wrong.

Sam, you treehugging leftie, i applaud your progressive feminism dude. Singlehandedly trying to genderneutralize mansplaining, what an awesome effort!

Cumbaya brother, cumbaya.
Page [12 3 4 5 » Quick go to page:
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Off topic forum > A discussion with Sam Martin (enter at own risk) Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist

Reply to this topic