Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > General forum > Fuel & Tyres - Guessing Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist
Page [1
Author Topic: Fuel & Tyres - Guessing 10 replies
Karl Handley
(Group Rookie - 148)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (8)   Dislike this post (1)
Old post #1 posted Dec 18th 2021, 22:33:56 Quote 
Hi,

Just wondering why fuel consumption and tyre wear is a case of guessing when new & requires collecting data.

As we know, in real life data is collected during practice sessions. Why aren't we shown fuel and tyre usage during these sessions?

Seems a glaring ommission to an otherwise really good game. Right now, with very little previous data to go on, it becomes a case of luck over actual tactics and strategy.

Surely showing fuel use and tyre wear during practice laps would be a huge step forward in realism.
Karl Handley
(Group Rookie - 148)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #2 posted Dec 18th 2021, 22:47:32 Quote 
Example: Coming to first track that has "very high" fuel usage and low tyre wear.
I have no previous races that had these characteristics, the track above is an oval and, whilst doing 8 practice laps, have literally no fuel or tyre data --- so I'm literally having to guess.

With car setup, this seems great. I have to try and set up the best I can but have general overview of track, driver gives feedback and I'm working out the setup I need. This is exactly how practice would work.
Matías Alloatti
(Group Amateur - 69)

Argentina 
Certified: 
Like this post (3)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #3 posted Dec 18th 2021, 23:17:39 Quote 
Hello Karl,

I know you can't collect data on the practice sessions, but you can collect data on the testing sessions. Since you are in Rookie, you can do as many tests as you want without worrying too much about your finances if you don't promote this season, and try different amounts of fuel and different tyres to see how much fuel consumption and tyre wear you get. I also know that the testing track doesn't change, but at least you will have a starting point to work on your progress in this game.

Also the ingame tutorials guide you a little bit so it's less guessing at the beginning:

"As a base guideline it is unlikely that any standard 300km long race will exceed 280 liters of fuel."

"most races around 20° can be completed with only 1 pit stop with Hard tyres."
Stuart Foster
(Group Rookie - 34)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #4 posted Dec 18th 2021, 23:25:26 (last edited Dec 18th 2021, 23:28:52 by Stuart Foster) Quote 
Quote ( Karl Handley @ December 18th 2021,22:47:32 )

Example: Coming to first track that has "very high" fuel usage and low tyre wear.
I have no previous races that had these characteristics, the track above is an oval and, whilst doing 8 practice laps, have literally no fuel or tyre data --- so I'm literally having to guess.

little help can be found here at what to expect for the highest consumption :

https://wiki.gpro.net/index.php?title=Fuel

See the bit in bold.

That at least should give you a worst case scenario for the very high consumption circuits.

And welcome to the forum :)

The wiki guide has quite a few hints and pointers on various things that either arn't covered in the newbie guide/game rules or don't give quite so specific details. So, I'd suggest having a good read through that (help > wiki guide).

Karl Handley
(Group Rookie - 148)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #5 posted Dec 18th 2021, 23:36:44 Quote 
Thanks. Didnt know about the testing track, so will give me a bit more to go on.

But feels like practice laps should give back some data, as that along with car setup is the whole point. Would be a welcome feature.

That said - we have what we have and if this season has to be more based on luck / guesswork then at least the data is there for next season.

I did see the "As a base guideline it is unlikely that any standard 300km long race will exceed 280 liters of fuel" (that just leads to over-fuelling and low tyres or not enough fuel and 40% tyre left. Its a rough guide but pretty weak vs getting actual track data from practice laps as per the real world and other games.

Dont want to sound critical, just feels like a gaping hole in a management sim which everywhere else seems very detailed and, certainly, the best motorsport management game available (I think).
Matías Alloatti
(Group Amateur - 69)

Argentina 
Certified: 
Old post #6 posted Dec 19th 2021, 00:00:22 Quote 
I think I get your point. But in that case, there should be a counterpart of getting data from practice laps.

In practice laps we can do only 8 laps, which I think is not enough to get accurate data for fuel consumption and tyre wear. But don't forget that car part doesn't wear at all in practice laps.

Maybe we could be given the chance to do 8 stints of 20, 30, 40 practice laps, get information about the set up after each stint, and also data from fuel and tyre. But that should come with car parts wear (we would be using the car to run 20, 30, 40 laps after all). If you are willing to resing parts durability for fuel and tyre data, that could be an interesting feature.

I prefer how the game works. After a few seasons you can get enough data from races to start calculating properly fuel consumption and tyre wear.
Brian Clarke
(Group Rookie - 58)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #7 posted Dec 19th 2021, 06:58:56 Quote 
i always save in my notes what the total fuel usage was for each race.
Mikko Heikkinen
(Group Pro - 5)

Finland 
Certified: 
Like this post (3)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #8 posted Dec 19th 2021, 07:28:18 (last edited Dec 19th 2021, 07:35:28 by Mikko Heikkinen) Quote 
Quote ( Karl Handley @ December 18th 2021,22:47:32 )

I have no previous races that had these characteristics
--- so I'm literally having to guess.

You do have 67 races done. (Participated in a race at: 45/61 tracks)
I find it hard to believe that there hasn't been a single race/track with those characteristics.

And even if you didn't have that many races done, even during this season there has been a track with same consumption rating. Maybe not both (tyre&fuel) in the same race, but surely they've been used at least individually in your previous races.

Furthermore... maybe adjust the way you're thinking... Maybe GPRO is not a sprint, but a marathon. Maybe you (a person in general) is not supposed to have every detail figured out during first race(s) [or even first season(s)]

That said, it doesn't take too many races to figure out fuel & tyres to reasonable degree of accuracy.

Quote ( Brian Clarke @ December 19th 2021,06:58:56 )

i always save in my notes what the total fuel usage was for each race.

That's the spirit
William Locke
(Group Rookie - 17)

United States 
Certified: 
Old post #9 posted Dec 19th 2021, 19:33:56 Quote 
Fuel isn't overly difficult to calculate. I was able to get pretty accurate after a couple of races for each fuel consumption rating.

Tires are a bit more difficult, and may need a few dozen races to collect enough info to get accurate results. However, at Rookie, my early inaccurate calculations got me good enough results to promote.

Second, look for some online tools. Some can help you get nearly accurate info, or work as a double check for your own calculations.

Third, find some friends or teammates to share data with, so you don't have to collect all the data yourself.
Stuart Foster
(Group Rookie - 34)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #10 posted Dec 19th 2021, 22:42:27 Quote 
Gotta love the Fins.
Chris Shaw
(Group Pro - 9)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #11 posted Dec 19th 2021, 23:44:02 Quote 
Quote ( William Locke @ December 19th 2021,19:33:56 )

Fuel isn't overly difficult to calculate

I doubt you're referring to the actual fuel formula that fully accounts for the driver, car and track! I've seen a couple of approaches, and none of them were simple.

However I agree that to get a figure +-2 laps accuracy isn't too tricky using some simple observations. And for rookie, and amateur, that'll certainly do.
Page [1
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > General forum > Fuel & Tyres - Guessing Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist

Reply to this topic