Page [1
Author Topic: The Young Ones 26 replies
Tomas Dederle
(Group Amateur - 50)

Czech Republic 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #1 posted Oct 21st 2022, 12:00:28 Quote 
I am usually quite a curious person. And because I like this game like everybody of you with more than one season does, I am concerned about descending amount of users. So I have checked all members from my Amateur 50 group and write down the year of birth and age of everyone, who is submitting the birth date there (Please at this moment I want to ask you to stop thinking about devaluation of my super quality post by the cheap comments, like that we have in our group one Fangio..etc. :-P )
Where are the young ones?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nh8qmeDp_0
Is this game attractive only for aged ones? Is it about patience? Is it about graphics? Is it about math? Have some one of you witnessed son or grand son playing this and what was the backfeed? I am not talking only about teenagers, we are missing also people in their twenties..they are few. But really few. Is it old format or you must be simply some age for this game...? Vlad was in his early twenties I think when he released the game in 2006. Or is it racing itself which is getting less attractive for youngsters?
This says the opposite : https://www.sportspromedia.com/categories/technology/emergin...
So where the hell are they? :-)

1984 38
1985 37
1987 35
1982 40
1986 36
1974 48
1969 53
1960 62
1995 27
1971 51
1997 25
1974 48
1981 41
1920 102 (Fangio was even older)
1982 40
1971 51
1974 48
1972 50
1970 52
1997 25
1950 72

A-50 Average 46,7 years

Onur Guardian
(Group Rookie - 34)

Turkey 
Certified: 
Like this post (4)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #2 posted Oct 21st 2022, 12:01:30 Quote 
Quote ( Tomas Dederle @ October 21st 2022,12:00:28 )

46,7 years

please dont spoil it here is the only place i feel my self young! :P
Tomas Dederle
(Group Amateur - 50)

Czech Republic 
Certified: 
Old post #3 posted Oct 21st 2022, 12:04:51 Quote 

Quote ( Onur Guardian @ October 21st 2022,12:01:30 )

please dont spoil it here is the only place i feel my self young! :P

Do not worry, you are 14 years younger than me... so you are perfectly safe :-))
Roland Postle10
(Group Pro - 21)

England 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #4 posted Oct 21st 2022, 13:43:53 Quote 
This is not just a GPRO problem. The median age of an EU citizen (as a loose proxy for the developed-ish world population likely to play online browser games) has increased by about 4 years since 2006.
Iain Bartholomew
(Group Master - 1)

Scotland 
Certified: 
Like this post (6)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #5 posted Oct 21st 2022, 13:45:39 Quote 

So where the hell are they? :-)

On TikTok being tracked by the Chinese government.
Joscha Büllesbach
(Group Master - 5)

Germany 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #6 posted Oct 21st 2022, 13:59:09 Quote 
What Roland says. Browser games are basically dead in 2022. If I would not have found gpro ten years ago, but today, there would basicly be no chance that I would even give it a try. Maybe the app version is a chance to get some new players, even tho I fear gpro is to slow paced to catch a big audience and too complex to play it on your smartphone long term.
Jun Ho
(Group Pro - 14)

Hong Kong 
Certified: 
Like this post (5)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #7 posted Oct 21st 2022, 14:00:25 Quote 
Quote ( Iain Bartholomew @ October 21st 2022,13:45:39 )

On TikTok being tracked by the Chinese government.

tracking... ...
Tomas Dederle
(Group Amateur - 50)

Czech Republic 
Certified: 
Old post #8 posted Oct 21st 2022, 14:07:37 (last edited Oct 21st 2022, 14:09:49 by Tomas Dederle) Quote 
Quote ( Roland Postle @ October 21st 2022,13:43:53 )

This is not just a GPRO problem. The median age of an EU citizen (as a loose proxy for the developed-ish world population likely to play online browser games) has increased by about 4 years since 2006.

I do not think that is the problem..because computer games (8bits) started to be mass entertainment in mid eighties.. Atari, Sinclair spectrum, C64 (me!!!) ...and at the end of eighties PC games... And we all who have started that are playing games till, now. It is a part of our lives. So in 2006 I was 37 y.o. And there were very few players over 50. Now almost everybody of age 40-60 somehow plays some games... rarely or more often..but almost everyone...
So for sure the median age should be higher now than in 2006...
But we miss young ones here completely... so median in GPRO gets much higher than 6 years since then...I believe it must be double digits

Mairo Toom
(Group Amateur - 47)

Estonia 
Certified: 
Like this post (3)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #9 posted Oct 21st 2022, 15:45:48 Quote 
I started when I couldn't even walk yet. Now I'm old enough that every day it's getting harder and harder to walk.
Onur Guardian
(Group Rookie - 34)

Turkey 
Certified: 
Old post #10 posted Oct 21st 2022, 16:24:55 Quote 
Quote ( Tomas Dederle @ October 21st 2022,12:04:51 )

Do not worry, you are 14 years younger than me... so you are perfectly safe :-))

yea thats the motivation i need cheers ;)
Carlos Daniel Gregoret
(Group Pro - 10)

Argentina 
Certified: 
Like this post (4)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #11 posted Oct 21st 2022, 17:20:25 Quote 
Quote ( Mairo Toom @ October 21st 2022,15:45:48 )

I started when I couldn't even walk yet.

I started when the quarantine didn't let me go out.
Now that I can, I don't go out either and continue in GPRO.
Vladimir Valis
(Group Elite)

Argentina 
Certified: 
Old post #12 posted Oct 21st 2022, 17:23:34 Quote 

Where are the young ones?

Playing popular videogames, watching series/streams or just chilling in social media. This game was always a niche game and it's not something attractive for the regular teenager/young adult, which gets worse by the fact that browser games are just not a thing in 2022.

Quite a similar situation to Marvin here. If I wouldn't have randomly found GPRO 11 years ago I wouldn't even give it a chance now.
Giovanni Mazzanati
(Group Master - 5)

Brazil 
Certified: 
Old post #13 posted Oct 23rd 2022, 00:57:57 Quote 
It's not a GPRO problem; it's a problem from this kind of game ("tycoon games" as some people say) overall. I play an online football game since early 2000's. In 2010 the game had 70,000 players, than the number started to decrease. Currently we are less than 10,000 plays.

What happened from 2010 to nowadays?
Social Media and smartphones.

Although Facebook is older than this, Zuckenberg's movie was release in 2010 and FB became almost universal since then. Apple's Iphone was first launched by 2007, but only around 2011-2012 smartphones in general became popular here. I think it may had happened before in nothern countries.

Since these, people doesn't want to wait days before each match/race. And they are also spending more time in phones and social networks, so they have less time for another kind of games.

As result, not only youngsters don't want to play games like GPRO, but also adults are leaving this kind of game in order to spend theirs free time on smartphones, Instagram, Netflix and things like that. I see it as a "one way route", so sorry, but this game will never be crowded again.
Tomas Dederle
(Group Amateur - 50)

Czech Republic 
Certified: 
Old post #14 posted Oct 23rd 2022, 08:09:30 Quote 
Quote ( Giovanni Mazzanati @ October 23rd 2022,00:57:57 )

in order to spend theirs free time on smartphones, Instagram, Netflix and things like that.

I agree with this. But the same time I believe people still want to compete. that is why multiplayer games are of bigger interest than single games. And they must compete somewhere...
If you talk about Hattrick / I guess that was that football game you have mentioned/ then Hattrick is dead, because there is a huge moat between old and new players. I have joined after many years in Jan 2021...and it takes literally 2 (!) years before it makes sense to think about promotion to higher league..because you need not only players but also healthy casflow=high fan base..and it takes damn time...none will give it such time. That is why they allow 2 or even 3 teams per players...what was forbidden in the past is now supported...

truth is that GPRO game is trying to get to phones, GPRO crew did awesome job. But this game is so complex that you need PC screen to get oriented in menu...hard to play on phone...I get lost there and even if I know GPRO and I know what I search for...I cannot find it in phone version. So it is good addition, but I cannot see phone as a main platform for this...

I was searching on internet if PC/notebook ownership is going down because of smart phones. But it does not seems an issue- this is about Britain in 2020 "and by age 17, only 4% say they don’t have a computer that is theirs, or one in their family they can use"

Thijs Rieken
(Group Amateur - 50)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #15 posted Oct 23rd 2022, 09:05:44 Quote 
Holy crap I'm 8 years *younger* than my group average?
Richard Robin Paukson
(Group Amateur - 16)

Estonia 
Certified: 
Old post #16 posted Oct 23rd 2022, 10:18:15 Quote 
Quote ( Tomas Dederle @ October 23rd 2022,08:09:30 )

I was searching on internet if PC/notebook ownership is going down because of smart phones. But it does not seems an issue- this is about Britain in 2020 "and by age 17, only 4% say they don’t have a computer that is theirs, or one in their family they can use"

Computers are often a necessity for work/shcool nowadays.

Along with the things that have been mentioned here, GPRO is not exactly widely known. You either have to look for it, be invited by a friend or misspell "gopro" to stumble here. :P Then there's the increased competition - back in 2005 there was a lot less to do on the internet and there were a lot fewer games. Nowadays venturing past the first page of google or playing smaller games involves a "risk" of being a waste of time, like with many indie games.
Ania Piekarska
(Group Pro - 8)

Poland 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #17 posted Oct 23rd 2022, 12:00:58 Quote 
Maybe the situation is not that bad because the younger ones hide their date of birth on the profile? After all you collected 21 numbers from a 37 manager group. I see the average age is quite high, but I have met much more people in their 20s here than your stats suggest.

And I agree that it's not this game, it's all games. I have searched for browser games a couple of times in the past and the ones I found were usually dead. I even once tried a game with literally one regular player playing it, and single people joining it briefly every now and then and quitting soon after (they had a new registration stat available to view).

But honestly, I don't mind it. I'd rather play a game that is interesting to a small group than see it changed to attract more players.
Ricardo Antunes
(Group Pro - 2)

Portugal 
Certified: 
Old post #18 posted Oct 23rd 2022, 13:09:31 Quote 
The minimum age for playing this game is 16 years old, so you can't get that young already.

In the discord server there are plenty of young people, most less active or not active at all in the forums.

I can probably guess that the reason why younger people don't play this game for a long time is not because of graphics, not because of racing, not because of patience particularly, but because of FOBY.

And I don't want FOBY to go away. This game is not for everyone, and it would need to be changed to be for everyone.

However, am totally on board for some graphics overhaul :P
Pieterjan Staessen
(Group Elite)

Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #19 posted Oct 23rd 2022, 13:19:18 (last edited Oct 23rd 2022, 13:19:51 by Pieterjan Staessen) Quote 
Quote ( Tomas Dederle @ October 23rd 2022,08:09:30 )

Quote ( Giovanni Mazzanati @ October 23rd 2022,00:57:57 )

in order to spend theirs free time on smartphones, Instagram, Netflix and things like that.
I agree with this. But the same time I believe people still want to compete. that is why multiplayer games are of bigger interest than single games. And they must compete somewhere...
If you talk about Hattrick / I guess that was that football game you have mentioned/ then Hattrick is dead, because there is a huge moat between old and new players. I have joined after many years in Jan 2021...and it takes literally 2 (!) years before it makes sense to think about promotion to higher league..because you need not only players but also healthy casflow=high fan base..and it takes damn time...none will give it such time. That is why they allow 2 or even 3 teams per players...what was forbidden in the past is now supported...

truth is that GPRO game is trying to get to phones, GPRO crew did awesome job. But this game is so complex that you need PC screen to get oriented in menu...hard to play on phone...I get lost there and even if I know GPRO and I know what I search for...I cannot find it in phone version. So it is good addition, but I cannot see phone as a main platform for this...

I've played Hattrick 20 years ago, quitted and restarted this year. It's easy to find I guess, teamname is GPRO :P I don't care about the community there
Farkhad Rakhimzhanov
(Group Rookie - 39)

Kazakhstan 
Certified: 
Old post #20 posted Oct 23rd 2022, 13:40:37 Quote 
Quote ( Ricardo Antunes @ October 23rd 2022,13:09:31 )

The minimum age for playing this game is 16 years old, so you can't get that young already.

Age restrictions of GPRO app in AppStore - 9+, PlayMarket - 3+.
Aaron Lewis
(Group Amateur - 37)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #21 posted Oct 23rd 2022, 14:11:44 Quote 
Overall the number of people playing games in general has increased especially with whats happened over the last couple years with covid, but on thew topic of young ones at the end of it this formula 1 style management simulator and unless you like that style of game your people wont play or even search for the game unless
Quote ( Vladimir Valis @ October 21st 2022,17:23:34 )

If I wouldn't have randomly found GPRO 11 years ago I wouldn't even give it a chance now.

and even then they wont stick if its not their cup of tea.
on the subject of competitiveness more poeple nowadays do prefer a faster paced competive envirenment however that isnt issue how the game runs even from a competive standpoint is enticing. The problem i feel for many lies in commitment this games requires people to certain level of commitmnet to be competetive in a season and even more if they wish to rise through the ranks.
I know i only restared this year since i have time in the time i wasnt playing i was in college and university and simply couldnt commit time needed to stay competive so i retired.

Outside of that there are numerouse factors as to why younger ones would struggle to pick up the game but to resolve would steer this game way many of its core concepts, dicussing many of them would make the post the length of my arm since thats getting into concepts of game design and development.
Tomas Dederle
(Group Amateur - 50)

Czech Republic 
Certified: 
Old post #22 posted Oct 23rd 2022, 14:37:30 (last edited Oct 23rd 2022, 14:41:50 by Tomas Dederle) Quote 
Quote ( Aaron Lewis @ October 23rd 2022,14:11:44 )

there are numerouse factors as to why younger ones would struggle to pick up the game

I like that, keep them coming...we do not neccessarily need to solve the topic problem...but the discussion can bring some interesting ideas or opinions...and therefore even more discussions...

I can do here the statement which might be discussed beside young ones as in my opinion it goes hand in hand :
that very alive forum was also good reason the game was having much more players ...If you join any browser game, you usually search how active the forum is ... and if you find on forum interesting or funny discussions...with quite high activity...then it might be just the forum which make you stay or go. GPRO forum was used to be awesome place. :-)

We should not be old smart farts killing every activity of newbies by haughty manners...
and I am concerned by number of newbies, and young ones who do not join...as I see descending number of players as well as descending number of supporters... Big teams do not have need to require data contribution anymore...teams do not use team forums anymore but discord.. But I see lot of work from GPRO team and many suggestions and requests to be done...I am just worried that one day somebody say enough...Like Forrest Gump when he stopped his running :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edDSIKnGxsY

Ricardo Antunes
(Group Pro - 2)

Portugal 
Certified: 
Old post #23 posted Oct 23rd 2022, 15:27:15 Quote 
Quote ( Tomas Dederle @ October 23rd 2022,14:37:30 )

hat very alive forum was also good reason the game was having much more players ...If you join any browser game, you usually search how active the forum is ... and if you find on forum interesting or funny discussions...with quite high activity...then it might be just the forum which make you stay or go. GPRO forum was used to be awesome place. :-)

Silly games forum is still alive and kicking :P

and I am concerned by number of newbies, and young ones who do not join...as I see descending number of players

The GPRO Discord server gets new players asking questions quite often. The problem here is that forums have become obsolete now and people rather be in an "instant chat" enviroment rather than post here. Most people anyways.

Big teams do not have need to require data contribution anymore...

I don't know if you mean that big teams don't need the supporter feature to collect data or if big teams don't need to collect data anymore... if it's the first one you're absolutely correct, if it is the second one you're absolutely incorrect, I am very confident in this even while not being in Malati or anything of the sorts :P

---

Quote ( Farkhad Rakhimzhanov @ October 23rd 2022,13:40:37 )

Quote ( Ricardo Antunes @ October 23rd 2022,13:09:31 )

Age restrictions of GPRO app in AppStore - 9+, PlayMarket - 3+.

I guess that's because there's no violence in the GPRO App... except in the forums sometimes! :P
Tomas Dederle
(Group Amateur - 50)

Czech Republic 
Certified: 
Old post #24 posted Oct 23rd 2022, 17:30:44 Quote 
Quote ( Ricardo Antunes @ October 23rd 2022,15:27:15 )

I am very confident

such statement does not always equals with being correct :-)
Pieterjan Staessen
(Group Elite)

Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #25 posted Oct 23rd 2022, 17:33:02 Quote 
Quote ( Tomas Dederle @ October 23rd 2022,17:30:44 )

Quote ( Ricardo Antunes @ October 23rd 2022,15:27:15 )

I am very confident
such statement does not always equals with being correct :-)

He is correct though
Tomas Dederle
(Group Amateur - 50)

Czech Republic 
Certified: 
Old post #26 posted Oct 23rd 2022, 17:39:30 Quote 

Quote ( Pieterjan Staessen @ October 23rd 2022,17:33:02 )

He is correct though

So you really do collect data from race analysis for the same track 60 seasons and more from 30 members...and still do not have enough data?
I understand there was a new US track last season ...but still...anyway, fair enough. You know all big teams, not me..

Ania Piekarska
(Group Pro - 8)

Poland 
Certified: 
Old post #27 posted Oct 23rd 2022, 17:53:45 Quote 
There is more things to be found out than track details
Page [1

Reply to this topic