Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Suggestions forum > It's another of Mark's suggestion threads! Topic this week: Sponsors! Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist
Page [12 3 » Quick go to page:
Author Topic: It's another of Mark's suggestion threads! Topic this week: Sponsors! 68 replies
Mark Webster
(Group Master - 1)

Scotland 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #1 posted Apr 22nd 2008, 16:30:28 Quote 
*Sponsored this week by Jimmy's continual disagreement with every single thing I will suggest*.

So welcome to my sponsor discussion, which I will begin by throwing my idea into the ring.

I believe we should create an advertising area for managers, where they can advertise for sponsors. Here below is an example of how this would run.

Before Race 1:

Your PR staff will ask you three questions when you do this:

Q1: What are your expectations for this and next season?

*Here will be a 2 dropdown boxes with all "available" answers, one box for this and one for next season.*

Q2: What car part are you looking to be sponsored?

*Again, here will be a dropdown box with all "available" answers*

Q3: How well liked is your driver by the fans?

*Again, here will be a dropdown box with all "available" answers*

Your advert would then be placed on on the "advertising" page.

After Race 1/Before Race 2

Your PR staff will identify somewhere between 2 and 5 different sponsors that have shown an interest in sponsoring you. You would then be able to look at the interested sponsors attributes and your PR staff would ask you the following question.

Q4: Which sponsor would you like us to begin negotiations with?

*Here would be a dropdown box containing the names of all the interested sponsors*

After this has been chosen, the other sponsors "return" to the sponsor market and they may express interest in other managers instead.

After Race 2/Before Race 3

The sponsor will offer you a deal. The form of the deal will depend on the sponsors attributes.

For instance, a sponsor with high expectations may offer a low "flat" fee, and will give you more money for a points/podium finish or a win.

The sponsor would then ask the same question asked now, regarding the offer value.

The sponsor may pull out if they are unhappy with your answer!

After Race 3/Before Race 4

The sponsors will then offer you a contract duration. The question would be identical to the one asked now regarding duration.

Once again, the sponsor may pull out if they are unhappy with your answer!

After Race 4/Before Race 5

The sponsor is completed and you may look for another sponsor.

Now, you may flame me, call me names, ask me questions, or suggest alternatives. You may even be happy with the current system, I think it's ok, but I think this would make a big improvement.

With love,

You know who.
Armin van Hulkenburg
(Group Amateur - 3)

Germany 
Certified: 
Old post #2 posted Apr 22nd 2008, 16:31:34 Quote 
Quote ( Mark Webster @ April 22nd 2008,16:30:28 )

*Sponsored this week by Jimmy's continual disagreement with every single thing I will suggest*

Jimmy payed for something just so he can disagree with it?
Armin van Hulkenburg
(Group Amateur - 3)

Germany 
Certified: 
Old post #3 posted Apr 22nd 2008, 16:35:40 Quote 
it would make it maybe more interesting, but if anything, it removes the competitive edge with sponsors, fighting over them with other managers.

This could be compared to the supporter feature for drivers, being able to search a certain attribute...its just not as good as the old fashioned way of looking through everything to find what you want.
Pierre Lisbonis
(Group Rookie - 47)

France 
Certified: 
Old post #4 posted Apr 22nd 2008, 16:38:15 Quote 
Mark's idea sounds closer to the real "sponsor/team" world than the kind a like "black box" system we are having now.
Mark Webster
(Group Master - 1)

Scotland 
Certified: 
Old post #5 posted Apr 22nd 2008, 16:38:55 Quote 
Quote ( Armin van Hulkenburg @ April 22nd 2008,16:35:40 )

it would make it maybe more interesting, but if anything, it removes the competitive edge with sponsors, fighting over them with other managers.

This could be compared to the supporter feature for drivers, being able to search a certain attribute...its just not as good as the old fashioned way of looking through everything to find what you want.

There's still choices though, you still answer questions, and you still need to choose which sponsor you wish to negotiate with.

If you still want competition then sponsors would be allowed to "express interest" for more than one manager, and the answers given to the questions may be the difference between one manager getting a sponsor and one not.
Jan Zaluski
(Group Amateur - 10)

Poland 
Certified: 
Old post #6 posted Apr 22nd 2008, 16:39:44 Quote 
I presume all the steps aren't fixed? I mean it won't take exactly four races time to close a deal?
Gordon Ashford
(Group Master - 1)

GPRO Crew
England 
Certified: 
Old post #7 posted Apr 22nd 2008, 16:42:22 Quote 
oooo my eyes, wall of text aaarrrggghhhh ;)

right then, interesting idea, which you are right some will hate.

First things first, I dont see why sponsors should only negotiate with one manager at a time, that wouldnt be good business practice for them, so the current system of having a 'race' to complete the negotiations should be kept.

Similarly, why should we only be allowed to negotaite with 1 sponsor at a time, if I want to talk to 2 or 3 sponsors and slow the process down for myself then that is my choice.

But, I talk of slowing things down with multiple sponsors and sponsor 'races', this means I cant like the idea of a fixed time scale for the whole process. Whilst I dont really like the time it can take for a sponsor negotiation to go through (and would like to see it speeded up a bit more for those not winning races) I dont think 4 or 5 races is long enough for EVERY sponsor deal to go through. This would mean you could get 4 sponsor deals done in a season and would throw the financial model out a little.

Sorry, I did really like the idea when I was reading it, but seem to have disected it somewhat in this post :(
Mark Webster
(Group Master - 1)

Scotland 
Certified: 
Old post #8 posted Apr 22nd 2008, 16:44:01 (last edited Apr 22nd 2008, 16:48:41 by Mark Webster) Quote 
Jan,

Perhaps that could be linked to a specific sponsor attribute, a sponsor with 7 for this specific "attribute" may only take four races, but a sponsor with just 1 may take 8 races. It may also depend on the "image" stat of your driver.

EDIT: Kind of answers Gordon too...

EDIT 2: To answer Gordon, I believe all managers should be able to have at least 3 sponsors, perhaps we could tone down the value of money offered by sponsors slightly to set the financial model "straight".

EDIT 3: When I say managers should be able to have 3 sponsors or so, what I'm saying is even the back running teams of F1 have sponsors, but a lot of GPRO backrunners do not, that's where I'm coming from.
Armin van Hulkenburg
(Group Amateur - 3)

Germany 
Certified: 
Old post #9 posted Apr 22nd 2008, 16:57:04 (last edited Apr 22nd 2008, 16:57:17 by Armin van Hülkenburg) Quote 
ok this system is to work, we need an objectives system from the sponsor:

eg

You will have to achieve at least XX place within the next 3 races, or
You will have to get at least XX points within the next XX races

etc.
Marcelo Michelini
(Group Amateur - 5)

GPRO Crew
Uruguay 
Certified: 
Old post #10 posted Apr 22nd 2008, 17:09:33 Quote 
Quote ( Armin van Hulkenburg @ April 22nd 2008,16:57:04 )

You will have to achieve at least XX place within the next 3 races, or
You will have to get at least XX points within the next XX races

ha
I like that...
the way it is now, it is so straight, you can't have a couple of races wrong and continous...

about Mark's idea, is it fixed in the timeline?
Armin van Hulkenburg
(Group Amateur - 3)

Germany 
Certified: 
Old post #11 posted Apr 22nd 2008, 17:10:40 Quote 
Quote ( Marcelo Michelini @ April 22nd 2008,17:09:33 )

the way it is now, it is so straight, you can't have a couple of races wrong and continous...

wait, this confused me, you like, or you were being sarcastic?
Jimmy Winter
(Group Amateur - 10)

Belgium 
Certified: 
Old post #12 posted Apr 22nd 2008, 17:15:54 Quote 
Mark, ok, go ahead convince the admins of this proposal :)

I can live with a system like you propose
Armin van Hulkenburg
(Group Amateur - 3)

Germany 
Certified: 
Old post #13 posted Apr 22nd 2008, 17:16:35 (last edited Apr 22nd 2008, 17:17:42 by Armin van Hülkenburg) Quote 
Quote ( Jimmy Winter @ April 22nd 2008,17:15:54 )

Mark, ok, go ahead convince the admins of this proposal :)

:O

EDIT: :O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O::O:O::O:O:O:O:O:O
Marcelo Michelini
(Group Amateur - 5)

GPRO Crew
Uruguay 
Certified: 
Old post #14 posted Apr 22nd 2008, 17:17:28 (last edited Apr 22nd 2008, 17:18:36 by Marcelo Michelini) Quote 
Quote ( Armin van Hulkenburg @ April 22nd 2008,17:10:40 )

wait, this confused me, you like, or you were being sarcastic?

I am never sarcastic! :|
I liked your idea, it is more flexible

Quote ( Jimmy Winter @ April 22nd 2008,17:15:54 )

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ozh-oRw1NXw
Armin van Hulkenburg
(Group Amateur - 3)

Germany 
Certified: 
Old post #15 posted Apr 22nd 2008, 17:18:08 Quote 
Quote ( Marcelo Michelini @ April 22nd 2008,17:17:28 )

I am never sarcastic! :|
I liked your idea, it is more flexible

sorry i was confused :)
Jan Zaluski
(Group Amateur - 10)

Poland 
Certified: 
Old post #16 posted Apr 22nd 2008, 17:19:42 Quote 
Interesting answers here! I especially like edit 3. I even got a simpler sollution for that: Make sponsor progress independent of race results, but make the offered amount of money more related to the position in races. But each DNF = no progress. Or even 'negative progress'.

Armin's idea sounds cool, but won't help those people running at the back and trying hard.

What about two managers negotiating with the same sponsor? Would that be possible in this system?
Armin van Hulkenburg
(Group Amateur - 3)

Germany 
Certified: 
Old post #17 posted Apr 22nd 2008, 17:20:59 Quote 
Quote ( Jan Zaluski @ April 22nd 2008,17:19:42 )

What about two managers negotiating with the same sponsor? Would that be possible in this system?

Well, its what my idea there was designed to do in a way.
Tiago Meireles
(Group Master - 2)

Portugal 
Certified: 
Old post #18 posted Apr 22nd 2008, 17:24:39 Quote 
well done Mark! it's always good to hear suggestions.
about your ideas:
Before Race 1:
I agree with answering the questions before the race.
I disagree about one thing: the PR staff suggests the sponsors. I think we should be the ones deciding the sponsor we want to negotiate with.
Perhaps we could pick a list of 5 sponsors before the race for one car spot.

After Race 1/Before Race 2
Then, according to our answers, our performance in the race and other managers sponsor choices, we would start negotiation with only one sponsor. (exclusively! not shared with other managers)

I agree with Mark with the following steps, although the negotiation duration should'nt be fixed. It could take longer depending on results and/or sponsor

But I suggest we could start negotiating for other car spots just after race 1, repeating the whole process.
This would mean that after 5 races you could be negotiating with 5 different sponsors for each car area. This would slow down the whole negotiation however.

here's my 2 cents ;-)
Armin van Hulkenburg
(Group Amateur - 3)

Germany 
Certified: 
Old post #19 posted Apr 22nd 2008, 17:31:13 (last edited Apr 22nd 2008, 17:32:23 by Armin van Hülkenburg) Quote 
Hmm, maybe with this idea, and people talking about sponsors negotiating with more than 1 manager, a new sponsor attribute could be brought in, perhaps something in the line of honesty (Though im sure there could be a better word).

What would happen:

You could ask your sponsor a question from a drop down box, once every 2 races. Maybe would cost a little money, i dont know.

What the attribute would do here would be involved in their answer.
Also, answers could only be yes and no.

Then the amount of honesty they have, ofc, the more honest the answer you get.
Eoin Farrelly
(Group Rookie - 7)

Ireland 
Certified: 
Old post #20 posted Apr 22nd 2008, 17:50:05 Quote 
The word you're looking for would be loyalty =D
Armin van Hulkenburg
(Group Amateur - 3)

Germany 
Certified: 
Old post #21 posted Apr 22nd 2008, 17:52:03 Quote 
Quote ( Eoin Farrelly @ April 22nd 2008,17:50:05 )

The word you're looking for would be loyalty

I think that would come under Reputation, which is a different attribute altogether ;)
Tiago Meireles
(Group Master - 2)

Portugal 
Certified: 
Old post #22 posted Apr 22nd 2008, 18:51:52 Quote 
Quote ( Armin van Hulkenburg @ April 22nd 2008,17:31:13 )

Hmm, maybe with this idea, and people talking about sponsors negotiating with more than 1 manager, a new sponsor attribute could be brought in, perhaps something in the line of honesty (Though im sure there could be a better word).

that would complicate things too much. No way Armin!
Mark Webster
(Group Master - 1)

Scotland 
Certified: 
Old post #23 posted Apr 23rd 2008, 13:43:17 Quote 
You know what would be good. If sponsors sponsored you not just with money, but by maybe giving you free driver training, or discounted car parts or something. :)

Whole new variability there!
Ermin Covic
(Group Master - 4)

Ireland 
Certified: 
Old post #24 posted Apr 23rd 2008, 14:07:49 Quote 
Quote ( Mark Webster @ April 23rd 2008,13:43:17 )

You know what would be good. If sponsors sponsored you not just with money, but by maybe giving you free driver training, or discounted car parts or something. :)

whatever is going to keep the costs down im for it :)
Joe Jenner-Murphy
(Group Master - 3)

Ireland 
Certified: 
Old post #25 posted Apr 23rd 2008, 14:15:14 Quote 
Sponsors are rubbish at the moment. They need a major overhaul. The fact is in F1 teams sort out their sponsors at the start of the season for their entire car. They don't race 8 races with no Rear Wing sponsor and then just stick one on there.

My proposal that I've mulled over for a while:

All sponsor contracts are 17 races. No more, no less. Ever.

At the start of season 10 all sponsors are available for negotiation. Every sponsor's contract will have expired because they are 17 race contracts that run from race 1 to race 17.

You choose 1 sponsor for each part of the car that you wish to negotiate with for season 11. Many managers can choose the same sponsor. You have to outline everything to them like you would now. You tell them where you want the sponsor to be, how popular your driver is. You then tell them how successful you aim to be over the coming 17 races, and over the 17 races in season 11.

Based on the targets you set yourself (winning title, winning promotion, top 10.. etc) the sponsor offers you an amount, based on achieving that target. If you tell a sponsor you will win promotion he may offer you $3mil to meet that target, but if you tell him you will finish safely in mid table you will get offered $2mil. The offers would also be subject to variation based on certain sponsor attributes.

If you over achieve on your target they will up the offer, not significantly or to what they would have offered if you said you expected that. So taking the $2mil and $3mil figures, if you said you would finish mid-table but you end up getting promoted they can up the $2mil offer but not to the full amount, maybe to $2.5mil. If you under achieve on your target, similarly they can lower the offer, or simply pull out of negotiations.

Then at the end of season 10 each sponsor decides which manager who entered negotiations with them has impressed them the most. They then make their final offer to that sponsor based on the original figure with the adjustments for over/under achievements and the manager then chooses whether to accept the offer for the 17 races of season 11.

Then it starts again at the start of season 11 for season 12 sponsors. This I believe is more reflective of how sponsors actually happen rather than the current system, and it would solve the issue of people at the back of their groups just trudging around unsponsored for ages.

Massively poor post about it as I'm at work so don't have the time to fully explain everything. I think I outlined it well enough though. Just ask if you don't understand something.
Hannu Syrjä
(Group Amateur - 1)

Finland 
Certified: 
Old post #26 posted Apr 23rd 2008, 14:27:19 Quote 
Quote ( Joe Jenner-Murphy @ April 23rd 2008,14:15:14 )

Then at the end of season 10 each sponsor decides which manager who entered negotiations with them has impressed them the most.

This part bothers me. It would mean that the rich get richer and the poor poorer. Because usually you are more competetive when you have money.
Jos Roestenberg
(Group Elite)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #27 posted Apr 23rd 2008, 14:28:44 Quote 

Sponsors are rubbish at the moment.

Sponsors? Are there Sponsors in this game? How do you get one?
Gordon Ashford
(Group Master - 1)

GPRO Crew
England 
Certified: 
Old post #28 posted Apr 23rd 2008, 14:38:08 Quote 

Then at the end of season 10 each sponsor decides which manager who entered negotiations with them has impressed them the most. They then make their final offer to that sponsor based on the original figure with the adjustments for over/under achievements and the manager then chooses whether to accept the offer for the 17 races of season 11.

and if they dont accept, they have no sponsor, there is no way that having gone through the process the manager would reject the offer and choose no money over some money.

This would be interesting if you could negotiate with multiple sponsors for the same part at the same time, youcould then choose which sponsor you wanted to go with atthe decision time.
Toni Metsänkylä
(Group Elite)

Finland 
Certified: 
Old post #29 posted Apr 23rd 2008, 14:40:59 Quote 
Quote ( Jos Roestenberg @ April 23rd 2008,14:28:44 )

Sponsors? Are there Sponsors in this game? How do you get one?

By realizing to give up early enough to someone who's bound to win you in the sponsor race :P
Joe Jenner-Murphy
(Group Master - 3)

Ireland 
Certified: 
Old post #30 posted Apr 23rd 2008, 14:55:49 Quote 
Quote ( Gordon Ashford @ April 23rd 2008,14:38:08 )

and if they dont accept, they have no sponsor, there is no way that having gone through the process the manager would reject the offer and choose no money over some money.

This would be interesting if you could negotiate with multiple sponsors for the same part at the same time, youcould then choose which sponsor you wanted to go with atthe decision time.

Be less ambitious with your sponsor selection then.
Page [12 3 » Quick go to page:
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Suggestions forum > It's another of Mark's suggestion threads! Topic this week: Sponsors! Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist

Reply to this topic