Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Suggestions forum > New testing option: develop car for next season Temu stavi na listu ignoriranja Temu stavi na listu praćenja
Stranica [1
Anketa Forumske teme
Testing for next season?
Prijavi se da glasuješ ili da vidiš rezultate ankete
Začetnik Tema: New testing option: develop car for next season 13 odgovora
Auke Haarsma
(Grupa Amateur - 55)

Teme: 268
  Država:
Nizozemska 
Potvrđeno: 
Sviđa mi se ova poruka (13)   Ne sviđa mi se ova poruka (5)
Stari post #1 objavljeno 11 Lis 2017, 22:55:57 Citat 
I've had this idea in the back of my head for a while now and I think it could add a nice dynamic to the strategic and managerial decisions needed to be made. I'm sure there are much brighter people over here who could oversee all consequences.... that why it is a suggestion.

The idea
Add a new testing priority option which eventually yields CCP, but this CCP only gets available at R1 of the next season. Let's call this NSCCP (Next Season CCP)

The amount of NSCCP points gained should, I guess, be a lot lower than normal. Developing a new car takes a long time.

In the 'development' season (that's the current season) the NSCCP points gained do also decay over time. Let's say this simulates new insights, slight rule changes that force redesign etc.

The amount of NSCCP gained per session/stint depends on the usual stuff. But I'd like to suggest three stages of gain, based on the amount of NSCCP you already have *). The first stage is where you have no NSCCP. The gain in this stage is low-ish. While you progress through this stage the gains increase. Doing more Next Season testing speeds up the development of the car. Then there is the 2nd stage. In the middle of this stage you get the maximum possible gain but after that the gains get less. And finally the third stage, which is like the first one but in reverse. Testing more and more just gives small improvements to the NSCCP. This should reward those managers that invest often in developing next seasons car. It should be unlikely that managers with the same levels of driver/td/s&f get the same CCP bonus if one manager invest the whole of the current season in developing his next season car, while the other just starts doing so after r15.

(* this could be absolute NSCCP, but by all means ofcourse also relative to your level where e.g. a Rookie may hit stage 2 much much sooner than Elite).

The ceiling of NSCCP should ofcourse be balanced. What about 1 car level worth of CCP?

The conversion of NSCCP-testpoints to NSCCP should be done in one go, while following the normal rules of conversion.
Why in one go? Because the NSCCP gained in r15-r17 should be available at the start of next season.

At r1 of the next season the NSCCP becomes normal CCP. The new NSCCP gets reset to 0.

Other effects like wear, driver S&F of testing remain unchanged.

This would allow managers to sacrifice normal testing with regard to CCP gain for a boost at the start of next season. It would offer managers the choice of focussing on the current season or switching focus to next season.

It could see managers battling for whatever reason making a different decision to those having given up on their season goal.

And if this idea gets implemented why not add this little feature: a pre-season test session. This gets done on the first 'normal race day that isn't a race day because we have two markets after the reset'. That testsession still gets you 'NSCCP' but it would count for the new season right away.

Hope you like it and feel free to improve the ideas.
Sam Wainwright
(Grupa Elite)

Teme: 2843
  Država:
Engleska 
Potvrđeno: 
Sviđa mi se ova poruka (3)   Ne sviđa mi se ova poruka (1)
Stari post #2 objavljeno 11 Lis 2017, 23:04:05 Citat 
Hmmm. I've seen you've put a lot of effort into this idea, it's nice to see something being thought through before being suggested rather than the typical: "We should have flying pigs appear on the track to take out blockers and to disturb the silent lake".

Anyway, the idea...it could work, possibly. Details need to be finetuned, because as your idea is currently (or at least how I'm understanding it) you're giving up normal CCPs now for reduced CCPs later. So basically saying no to 10€ now in order to get 5€ in 2 months time. It makes no sense. But switching the numbers around somehow the idea isn't too bad.

I'm not 100% in favour though even with changes, it's quite exploitable and it could encourage the OBP strategy, pushing early. Not that there's anything wrong with that existing, although I dont think it should be actively encouraged.
Stuart Foster
(Grupa Pro - 23)

Teme: 12459
  Država:
Engleska 
Potvrđeno: 
Sviđa mi se ova poruka (0)   Ne sviđa mi se ova poruka (0)
Stari post #3 objavljeno 11 Lis 2017, 23:12:59 Citat 
I actually like this idea :)
David Brister
(Grupa Amateur - 61)

Teme: 228
  Država:
Australija 
Potvrđeno: 
Sviđa mi se ova poruka (1)   Ne sviđa mi se ova poruka (0)
Stari post #4 objavljeno 11 Lis 2017, 23:43:04 Citat 
well thought out concept, i like the sound of it
Daniel Mason
(Grupa Amateur - 83)

Teme: 5215
  Država:
S.A.D. 
Potvrđeno: 
Stari post #5 objavljeno 12 Lis 2017, 00:15:47 Citat 
Not to be the thorn in the side of this idea on purpose, but this pretty much has been a staple of another F1 management game since its inception. Their system is vastly different than ours, which is why it works so well for them. Additionally, having the NSCCP available immediately should be for those that started testing prior to round 8 or 9; if NSCCP was done past round 8 or 9, it shouldn't be available until round 4 of next season at the earliest. Probably easier to say wait a full 17 races before those NSCCP are placed on the car. One could also use the testing session prior to the first race of the season to get the NSCCP on the car quicker, but at an additional cost ($500k extra maybe?), or just pay the normal fee to do normal testing, or maybe 2 pre-season tests? Hmm, just have to watch part wear, since it shouldn't drop off between test sessions...
Mikko Heikkinen
(Grupa Master - 1)

Teme: 12503
  Država:
Finska 
Potvrđeno: 
Sviđa mi se ova poruka (10)   Ne sviđa mi se ova poruka (0)
Stari post #6 objavljeno 12 Lis 2017, 05:25:22 (zadnji uredio12 Lis 2017, 05:29:05 od Mikko Heikkinen) Citat 
Nice to see a suggestion where some thought has been put in.

That being said, I really dont' see the point of all this.

We already do test to develop the car for next season. Tests to get CCP in the future and to maintain achieved CCP.
If you are testing during the current season, you already are testing for the next season.

Why should the CCP be awarded in a burst all in one go at R1 ?

What I see described in OP is overly complicated system to achieve the same (or very similar) thing which we already have now.
Jody Parker
(Grupa Pro - 8)

Teme: 767
  Država:
Engleska 
Potvrđeno: 
Sviđa mi se ova poruka (3)   Ne sviđa mi se ova poruka (0)
Stari post #7 objavljeno 12 Lis 2017, 07:21:33 Citat 
I like it even if for no other reason than that development of cars usually don't come into full effect until the new season starts in real life. Research, and testing being done to get to new developments, and those finalised between seasons to come at the new season with a brand new concept and car.

It needs to be moderated and tweaked, possibly together with the current development system, though or one would go 50% in each and gain more than by going 100% in one.
Maybe have NSCCP decay slower than the normal CCP and increase "Short-Term CCP"'s decay rate slightly. Not sure, but tweaking at least.

Though while we are at it why not also add a development for cost efficiency? Development points that are converted into % reduced cost on getting new car parts, so either concentrate on getting CCP and speed from your testing, or getting an economical benefit.
Either each part needs an own Cost reduction development or all parts together. Each part on it's own I think would be better though, and while the reductions were diminishing in returns they could last a while, like current CCP, spanning across seasons too.
Like all Development with new technology coming out prices would go up again of course, until down to 0% reduction in costs.
Chris Lee
(Grupa Pro - 25)

Teme: 582
  Država:
Engleska 
Potvrđeno: 
Stari post #8 objavljeno 12 Lis 2017, 09:16:52 Citat 
Good idea, but not sure why the NSCCP should decay at all though.
Those points would be in the bank and should be protected. It would add to the incentive of accumulating them while your regular CCP decay at the regular rate.
Robin Goodey
(Grupa Master - 1)

Teme: 2096
  Država:
Engleska 
Potvrđeno: 
Sviđa mi se ova poruka (2)   Ne sviđa mi se ova poruka (0)
Stari post #9 objavljeno 12 Lis 2017, 10:25:05 Citat 
Quote ( Mikko Heikkinen @ October 12th 2017,05:25:22 )

Nice to see a suggestion where some thought has been put in.

That being said, I really dont' see the point of all this.

We already do test to develop the car for next season. Tests to get CCP in the future and to maintain achieved CCP.
If you are testing during the current season, you already are testing for the next season.

Why should the CCP be awarded in a burst all in one go at R1 ?

What I see described in OP is overly complicated system to achieve the same (or very similar) thing which we already have now.

Agree with Mikko - if you plan your testing right, you will have all your CCP's on the car for the races / season that you want them anyway - so no need at all to try and complicate a system that works perfectly well already.
Mikko Heikkinen
(Grupa Master - 1)

Teme: 12503
  Država:
Finska 
Potvrđeno: 
Stari post #10 objavljeno 12 Lis 2017, 13:32:32 (zadnji uredio12 Lis 2017, 13:49:48 od Mikko Heikkinen) Citat 
Quote ( Jody Parker @ October 12th 2017,07:21:33 )

I like it even if for no other reason than that development of cars usually don't come into full effect until the new season starts in real life.

And why would that be ?

There are also big test bans and development band during season in real life. That's why they have to do the development during off season.

And there is no "off season" in gpro, that's when real life F1 team conduct "future season tests".
In real life teams have several months with nothing else to do but R&D between seasons, Gpro has no such off-season.

Gpro is better because there is no such bans, thus there is no need for complicated "future testing system"
Jody Parker
(Grupa Pro - 8)

Teme: 767
  Država:
Engleska 
Potvrđeno: 
Stari post #11 objavljeno 12 Lis 2017, 15:47:45 Citat 
Quote ( Mikko Heikkinen @ October 12th 2017,13:32:32 )

And why would that be ?

Because during the of-season you have the time and opportunity to put the bigger changes and concepts into play. That small changes do come into effect during seasons I have no doubt about, though it's controlled via the bans.
Hence why I said "the full effect of" and not "the effect of".

As far as I am concerned too the GPRO "off-season" is longer than a week, just as there's longer between races than 3 or 4 days, simply because our drivers age a year in those 10 weeks and I see it as a manager simulation more than an "actual time passed in game time" thing. So there is time between seasons for the crew and such but it's shortened for us in real life time.

And since when is complicated bad? *wink*
Miel Soeterbroek
(Grupa Master - 4)

Teme: 3107
  Država:
Nizozemska 
Potvrđeno: 
Stari post #12 objavljeno 12 Lis 2017, 15:51:37 Citat 
Quote ( Mikko Heikkinen @ October 12th 2017,13:32:32 )

Gpro has no such off-season.

It does.
It takes a week.
It feels like years.
Auke Haarsma
(Grupa Amateur - 55)

Teme: 268
  Država:
Nizozemska 
Potvrđeno: 
Sviđa mi se ova poruka (0)   Ne sviđa mi se ova poruka (1)
Stari post #13 objavljeno 12 Lis 2017, 16:50:46 (zadnji uredio12 Lis 2017, 16:52:20 od Auke Haarsma) Citat 
Thanks for the responses.

The goal is to add something new, something that requires a manager to make a decision: When do I start preparing my 'new car', or don't I do it at all?

I disagree it's the same as the current CCP from testing because the moment the CCP becomes available is very different. It would ofcourse affect the current testing strats, since you may need to sacrifice parts of your session to make sure you get a good start next season. If that suits your plans....

I know gpro != F1, but since a narrative can help paint the picture: Imagine Mercedes as the team that has it's new car sorted out perfectly (they have maximum NSCCP). They could do so because they had a decent lead and could afford to start the new car early last season. And there is RedBull. Always playing catch up. They are the champions of in-season development, but for some reason always start on the back foot (they failed to get max NSCCP and had to put all testing effort into getting the current car at a decent level).

Regarding the system: it can be complicated, but just as well it can be simple.

Two approaches:
1) NSCCP as posted above. May feel complicated to some. But it's very much like the current CCP from testing, so it should be familiar pretty soon. I imagine just 1 additional row on the testing screen with NSCCP listed.

Or,
2) Add a 0%-100% progress bar for 'next season car development'. Each teststint/lap with priority 'next seasons car' adds to the progress. No decay. Just progress, based on certain factors (could be the same as CCP gain and conversion). At the start of the new season you get x% of a car level worth of CCP, based on the % progress you made during the previous season (and the pre-season test? ;) ).
Stephen Bewers
(Grupa Master - 2)

Teme: 566
  Država:
Engleska 
Potvrđeno: 
Stari post #14 objavljeno 13 Lis 2017, 20:05:46 Citat 
It'd certainly be great in a promo season to start banking NSCCPs for when you're a level higher. I guess the risk is that you're current CCPs tail off and you start losing points in the current season though. Could be interesting either way. Nice idea Auke!
Stranica [1
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Suggestions forum > New testing option: develop car for next season Temu stavi na listu ignoriranja Temu stavi na listu praćenja

Odgovori na tu temu