Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Off topic forum > FWD vs RWD vs 4WD your thoughts ? Tambah topik ini kepada senarai abai anda Tambah topik ini kepada senarai pemerhatian anda
Halaman [1
Pengarang Topik: FWD vs RWD vs 4WD your thoughts ? 4 balasan
Norton Martins
(Kumpulan Rookie - 94)

Kiriman: 89
  Negara:
Brazil 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (1)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (1)
Kiriman lama #1 dikirim Jun 4 2019, 17:37:03 Sebut 
So, I had owned FWD cars my whole life, auto and manual, drove crossovers, sedans, hatchbacks, they were all FWD. With the exception of a RWD RR engined VW Beetle of about 28 hp. I want to know what are the basic physics of these kind of cars in a race ?
David Rolleston1
(Kumpulan Amateur - 22)

Kiriman: 2618
  Negara:
England 
Persijilan: 
Suka kiriman ini (1)   Tidak suka kiriman ini (0)
Kiriman lama #2 dikirim Jun 4 2019, 17:44:05 Sebut 
From my experience of owning and driving all types.

FWD - Too many to mention - Tendancy to understeer if you enter a corner to quickly
RWD - The RX8 I had was good fun for getting the rear end moving about and required some correction on a regular basis.
4WD - Tank of a family 4x4, shite driving experience but safe.
4WD - xdrive BMW, planted in just about all scenarios - except snow!
Eduardo Sanchez Carenzo
(Kumpulan Pro - 1)

Kiriman: 2730
  Negara:
Mexico 
Persijilan: 
Kiriman lama #3 dikirim Jun 4 2019, 18:06:31 Sebut 
FWD
A great thing about FWD is that it’s cheaper to design and make than other drives, which means the vehicle may be less expensive for consumers.

Most of the time, front-wheel drive cars get better gas mileage because the weight of the drivetrain is less than that of a rear-wheel vehicle. FWD vehicles also get better traction because the weight of the engine and transmission are over the front wheels. Generally speaking, good traction in snow and rain makes your drive safer than if you were in a vehicle with rear wheel drive (RWD).

The downside of an FWD vehicle is that the handling suffers somewhat. While traction is good, handling the vehicle around corners and curves isn’t as strong as an RWD car, especially at faster speeds. If you do a lot of driving on winding roads, you’ll likely notice a difference between the two different types. The FWD won’t be as responsive or nimble on the road as an RWD.

FWD weigh more on the front thus can have up to 60% weight load on front 40% back (some cases could be worse) thus tend to understeer

RWD
Power is transferred from the transmission to the rear wheels by way of a long driveshaft to a differential. RWD vehicles handle much better than front-wheel drive vehicles and you will notice the difference in curves, turns, and when navigating through traffic situations. Traction won’t be as good, especially in wet or snowy road conditions.

Rear-wheel drive vehicles are better for towing because the front wheels have better steering without a ton of weight on them. Plus, with the power transfer and the tongue weight of the trailer, the rear of vehicle squats, which gives the rear wheels more traction. If you get stuck, adding weight over the rear wheels may help.

RWD has a much better front.back weight balance normally seeking 50%-50% and will tend to oversteer but to a lesser degree than the FWD understeering thus making them not good for racing.

AWD combines both worlds,great weigh distribution and you pull and push the car at the same time thus reduce the oversteering and understeering issues and even if one tyre looses grip the remaining three can keep the car moving. Just see what happened when Quattro joined the WRC

This is a nice comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_DiXWcrs50

Ben Gladwyn
(Kumpulan Amateur - 84)

Kiriman: 26
  Negara:
England 
Persijilan: 
Kiriman lama #4 dikirim Jun 4 2019, 18:27:22 Sebut 
Most shopping (road) cars understeer. It's to keep them safe. Race cars don't.

FWD oversteer on corner entry as they have a stiff rear anti-roll bar. This lifts the inside rear wheel and helps the back of the car come round so you can straighten the steering and power out with your limited slip front diff. Apply too much power and you hit the barriers nose first.

RWD are set up to be more stable on corner entry and then the angle of attack can be adjusted with the throttle. More power can be put down on the exit of the corner, with weight transfer to the rear. Apply too much power and you hit the barriers backwards.

AWD need decent diffs and torque splits to make their handling neutral on track with a bit of FWD oversteer on entry and ballistic acceleration on exit. They are heavy though, so harder on their tyres and fuel. Computers always help, see https://www.topgear.com/videos/clarkson-drives-prodrive-p2-s.... Apply too much power and you hit the barriers sideways.
Jonathan Beagles
(Kumpulan Amateur - 59)

Kiriman: 6131
  Negara:
England 
Persijilan: 
Kiriman lama #5 dikirim Jun 5 2019, 00:52:53 Sebut 
Quote ( David Rolleston @ June 4th 2019,17:44:05 )

From my experience of owning and driving all types.

FWD - Too many to mention - Tendancy to understeer if you enter a corner to quickly
RWD - The RX8 I had was good fun for getting the rear end moving about and required some correction on a regular basis.
4WD - Tank of a family 4x4, shite driving experience but safe.
4WD - xdrive BMW, planted in just about all scenarios - except snow!

I had an RX8 as well myself - loved that thing, so for that reason I'm all for RWD :D
Halaman [1
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > Off topic forum > FWD vs RWD vs 4WD your thoughts ? Tambah topik ini kepada senarai abai anda Tambah topik ini kepada senarai pemerhatian anda

Balas topik ini