Страница [12 3 ... 268 269 270 » Перейти на страницу:
Автор Тема: Unannounced changes ... 8089 ответов
Michael Armbruster
(Группа Pro - 15)

Страна:
Германия 
Сертифицирован: 
Сообщение понравилось (7)   Сообщение не понравилось (1)
Старое сообщение #1 Размещено 10 Сен 2010, 12:24:24 (последняя редакция 23 Янв 2014, 20:42:10 от Kevin Parkinson) Цитата 
.. this time to race analysis excel sheet in past setups :-(

Hi admins,

is it really that difficult to not change things overnight without informing people that you changed something and what you have changed?

I use the race analysis sheet which can be downloaded from the past setup page after every race to download and then copy and paste data into my own excel sheets. For this it is important that the structure of the downloadable excel sheet and the contents of cells containing data does not change. Otherwise my formulae in excel will not find what they expect to find.

Now the downloadable sheet was changed between the Istanbul and the Brands Hatch race without any warning. Now it upsets quite a lot of my formulae, so that I have to fix them.

I don't mind if you change the spelling of words and things or even extend the amount of data you output in the excel sheet.

But if you rearrange cells or change the contents of existing cells containing data (e. g. now putting out "69 litres" instead of simply "69") I have to spend a lot of time to adapt. And I guess some more people too. :-(

Michael
Tommy Faucher
(Группа Pro - 6)

Страна:
Канада 
Сертифицирован: 
Сообщение понравилось (2)   Сообщение не понравилось (6)
Старое сообщение #2 Размещено 10 Сен 2010, 12:42:22 (последняя редакция 10 Сен 2010, 12:49:19 от Tommy Faucher) Цитата 
lol, do you seriously think Admins will apologize because they switch from a table to a Div or by tweaking their html codes and will post an announcement every time?

Do you think Mikkel shout at them everytime he need to change his GO code to adapt to the website?

We're all in the same position, Michael. I use Anchors/Regex to grab some content and when they change their source code, i have to change mine to adapt. :)

Michael Armbruster
(Группа Pro - 15)

Страна:
Германия 
Сертифицирован: 
Сообщение понравилось (6)   Сообщение не понравилось (1)
Старое сообщение #3 Размещено 10 Сен 2010, 12:52:51 (последняя редакция 10 Сен 2010, 12:54:35 от Michael Armbruster) Цитата 
No, Tommy, I don't think they will apologice and I don't want an apology either. I just want them to be aware that their changes have consequences and force people to spend more time to adapt.

I work in a software company and there we cannot just simply change an interface without at least informing the user of the interface. I am aware, that admins do their work voluntarily, so that we cannot demand anything. But the excel download for past setups is part of the supporter package, so after all we pay for it. So I think we could at least expect a bit more professional behaviour in those parts of gpro.

On a side note: Changing the output from numbers to text is just not very user friendly.
Marc Dudley
(Группа Pro - 11)

Страна:
Англия 
Сертифицирован: 
Сообщение понравилось (2)   Сообщение не понравилось (0)
Старое сообщение #4 Размещено 10 Сен 2010, 12:53:30 (последняя редакция 10 Сен 2010, 12:54:03 от Marc Dudley) Цитата 
Its not a huge problem Michael, but yes it screwed up our teams excell forumla too but we just went in and changed it ourselvs :)
Michael Armbruster
(Группа Pro - 15)

Страна:
Германия 
Сертифицирован: 
Старое сообщение #5 Размещено 10 Сен 2010, 12:56:57 Цитата 
Yes, ours too. I am just about to fix them. Its just effort which would not have been necessary. After all, I cannot see any real improvement in the sheet, just lots of changes and little setbacks.
Marc Dudley
(Группа Pro - 11)

Страна:
Англия 
Сертифицирован: 
Сообщение понравилось (1)   Сообщение не понравилось (0)
Старое сообщение #6 Размещено 10 Сен 2010, 12:59:40 Цитата 
Quote ( Michael Armbruster @ September 10th 2010,12:56:57 )

After all, I cannot see any real improvement in the sheet, just lots of changes and little setbacks

Yeah, not quite sure why they changed it, but would have been good to know though :)
Tiffany Lim
(Группа Rookie - 181)

Страна:
Сингапур 
Сертифицирован: 
Старое сообщение #7 Размещено 10 Сен 2010, 13:45:22 Цитата 
I just love unannounced changes. Don't they add flavour to the boring life on GPRO?
Alin Costrasuc
(Группа Pro - 15)

Страна:
Румыния 
Сертифицирован: 
Старое сообщение #8 Размещено 10 Сен 2010, 14:03:35 Цитата 
Tiffany, I guess you also love when someone snatches behind you, cover your eyes and says "guess who ?" :)
Misty Schaeffer
(Группа Amateur - 19)

Страна:
Британские Виргинские острова 
Сертифицирован: 
Старое сообщение #9 Размещено 10 Сен 2010, 14:55:12 Цитата 
As usual though, no crew or admin has posted a comment. The change screws the spreadsheet up, who gives a damn, Right? This isnt the first time, and although not quiet the same as the consequences with the stupid tyre changes.

This is yet another shining example of:"Well its done, now live with it"

Chris Williams
(Группа Rookie - 35)

Команда GPRO
  Страна:
Англия 
Сертифицирован: 
Старое сообщение #10 Размещено 10 Сен 2010, 14:59:50 Цитата 
Quote ( Misty Schaeffer @ September 10th 2010,14:55:12 )

As usual though, no crew or admin has posted a comment. The change screws the spreadsheet up, who gives a damn, Right? This isnt the first time, and although not quiet the same as the consequences with the stupid tyre changes.

This is yet another shining example of:"Well its done, now live with it"

Or perhaps the admin responsible for this area hasn't been online in the 2 and a half hours since this thread began in order to reply or investigate any issue?
Steve MacMillan
(Группа Amateur - 8)

Страна:
Шотландия 
Сертифицирован: 
Сообщение понравилось (3)   Сообщение не понравилось (0)
Старое сообщение #11 Размещено 10 Сен 2010, 15:07:03 Цитата 
Quote ( Chris Williams @ September 10th 2010,14:59:50 )

Or perhaps the admin responsible for this area hasn't been online in the 2 and a half

That just shows a complete lack of commitment :P

the admin responsible for this area

Passing the buck as well Mr Williams :)
Mike Becnel
(Группа Pro - 5)

Команда GPRO
  Страна:
США 
Сертифицирован: 
Старое сообщение #12 Размещено 10 Сен 2010, 15:17:20 (последняя редакция 10 Сен 2010, 15:18:24 от Mike Becnel) Цитата 
Chris (or whomever is responsible), adding a temporary beta link to the page that calls up the new report would be an almost automatic transition to the new report without having to go through an announcement, etc. I know that would not work great for the primary buttons on the main page but should be pretty easy on the reports like the one Michael is referring to.

Just to make sure this is clear, the old report would still be there, the new report would be a second link clearly denoted as 'beta'.
Dylan Edwards
(Группа Rookie - 253)

Страна:
Уэльс 
Сертифицирован: 
Старое сообщение #13 Размещено 10 Сен 2010, 15:23:06 Цитата 
Didn't realize people went to such extent to succeed at this game.....

All this data change has not effected my Excel spreadsheet named "Common Sense" :) more fun living life on the edge ;)
Michael Armbruster
(Группа Pro - 15)

Страна:
Германия 
Сертифицирован: 
Старое сообщение #14 Размещено 10 Сен 2010, 15:24:02 Цитата 
Mike, your suggestion would have been a good solution.

In this way we could have send the beta version back into the implementation department for some more improvements before we all have to live with it. ;-)
Kelly Arthur
(Группа Rookie - 114)

Страна:
Канада 
Сертифицирован: 
Старое сообщение #15 Размещено 10 Сен 2010, 15:28:47 Цитата 
For those of us who can't use GPRO or Exel, it made no difference whatever, so I don't care.
Nigel Hartlebury
(Группа Rookie - 210)

Страна:
Англия 
Сертифицирован: 
Сообщение понравилось (3)   Сообщение не понравилось (0)
Старое сообщение #16 Размещено 10 Сен 2010, 15:31:44 Цитата 
Quote ( Kelly Arthur @ September 10th 2010,15:28:47 )

For those of us who can't use GPRO or Exel, it made no difference whatever, so I don't care.

How do you post on here if you cant use GPRO? :0
Dylan Edwards
(Группа Rookie - 253)

Страна:
Уэльс 
Сертифицирован: 
Старое сообщение #17 Размещено 10 Сен 2010, 15:33:51 Цитата 
Quote ( Nigel Hartlebury @ September 10th 2010,15:31:44 )

How do you post on here if you cant use GPRO? :0
]

Oh no you diiiiiiidnnnnnnnt!!! :O
David Jones-winkley
(Группа Rookie - 29)

Страна:
Уэльс 
Сертифицирован: 
Старое сообщение #18 Размещено 10 Сен 2010, 17:11:51 Цитата 
Not many changes but the question is will the admins revert back to the original or stay with this one. Can't see any improvements just looks like someone had a bit of spare time and wanted to screw things up for some..

Michael Armbruster
(Группа Pro - 15)

Страна:
Германия 
Сертифицирован: 
Старое сообщение #19 Размещено 11 Сен 2010, 20:11:42 Цитата 

Or perhaps the admin responsible for this area hasn't been online in the 2 and a half hours since this thread began in order to reply or investigate any issue?

So will there be any reply from him?
Brian Branch
(Группа Pro - 3)

Страна:
Австралия 
Сертифицирован: 
Старое сообщение #20 Размещено 12 Сен 2010, 02:23:17 (последняя редакция 12 Сен 2010, 02:23:54 от Brian Branch) Цитата 
1 : You can't expect them to personally reply to 1000s of threads. Most of them do have real jobs and there isn't enough hours in the day, yet alone before you look at game development

2 : The change is one which makes the data presented clearer in what it's representing. That makes it an improvement and I can't see any reason why it would be reversed.

3 : You can't expect them to announce every tiny thing that they do. Pretty soon you'd have 100 announcements per month and everybody complaining about the number of announcements.

If you're taking the game as seriously as you are, then you just need to adjust to these type of things, just like somebody operating a business has to adjust for things that somebody undertaking a hobby doesn't.
Stephen Leach
(Группа Rookie - 50)

Страна:
США 
Сертифицирован: 
Старое сообщение #21 Размещено 12 Сен 2010, 06:47:20 Цитата 
how come we CAN see the race lap by lap if we are NOT supporters?
Eduardo Sanchez Carenzo
(Группа Amateur - 40)

Страна:
Мексика 
Сертифицирован: 
Старое сообщение #22 Размещено 12 Сен 2010, 07:13:30 Цитата 
Quote ( Stephen Leach @ September 12th 2010,06:47:20 )

how come we CAN see the race lap by lap if we are NOT supporters?

You don´t need to be a supporter to watch the race replay lap by lap. On the race screen the only benefit a supporter has is the live race commentary, which is available to all managers (supporters or not) in the race replay.

The following link lists all the supporter benefits

http://wiki./index.php/Supporter_Status
Stephen Leach
(Группа Rookie - 50)

Страна:
США 
Сертифицирован: 
Старое сообщение #23 Размещено 12 Сен 2010, 07:24:50 Цитата 
Quote ( Eduardo Sanchez Carenzo @ September 12th 2010,07:13:30 )

You don´t need to be a supporter to watch the race replay lap by lap. On the race screen the only benefit a supporter has is the live race commentary, which is available to all managers (supporters or not) in the race replay.

The following link lists all the supporter benefits

http://wiki./index.php/Supporter_Status

thanks
Richard Knopf
(Группа Amateur - 39)

Страна:
США 
Сертифицирован: 
Старое сообщение #24 Размещено 12 Сен 2010, 15:18:19 Цитата 
Quote ( Kelly Arthur @ September 10th 2010,15:28:47 )

If you want to do better than Rookie, you should care. ;-)

Quote ( Brian Branch @ September 12th 2010,02:23:17 )

2 : The change is one which makes the data presented clearer in what it's representing. That makes it an improvement and I can't see any reason why it would be reversed.

While that makes things a little harder for my team, I agree with you. The admins were trying to make things easier. Some of the posts here I disagreed with because of their unnecessary tones or (in one instance) personal grudges.

3 : You can't expect them to announce every tiny thing that they do. Pretty soon you'd have 100 announcements per month and everybody complaining about the number of announcements.

I think, rather than big announcements posted above the forum threads, they should make a separate "recent changes" link somewhere in the lower right corner of the page only for minor tweaks to the game interface and data appearance. It is what software developers, including FREEWARE ones, do whenever they release a new version (or even a very minor upgrade). Mikkel from GO does the same thing in GO's home page.
Kiril Nikolov Mitov
(Группа Rookie - 182)

Страна:
Болгария 
Сертифицирован: 
Старое сообщение #25 Размещено 12 Сен 2010, 19:38:07 Цитата 
Quote ( Michael Armbruster @ September 11th 2010,20:11:42 )

So will there be any reply from him?

You might wanna read the last announcement made by Chris here : /ViewAnnouncements.asp

Think about for a minute and you should easily find the reason behind those changes.
Michael Armbruster
(Группа Pro - 15)

Страна:
Германия 
Сертифицирован: 
Старое сообщение #26 Размещено 12 Сен 2010, 19:54:53 Цитата 
Quote ( Richard Knopf @ September 12th 2010,15:18:19 )

I think, rather than big announcements posted above the forum threads, they should make a separate "recent changes" link somewhere in the lower right corner of the page only for minor tweaks to the game interface and data appearance. It is what software developers, including FREEWARE ones, do whenever they release a new version (or even a very minor upgrade). Mikkel from GO does the same thing in GO's home page.

This would be a good idea. :-)

Quote ( Kiril Nikolov Mitov @ September 12th 2010,19:38:07 )

You might wanna read the last announcement made by Chris here : /ViewAnnouncements.asp

Think about for a minute and you should easily find the reason behind those changes.

Thanks Kiril. I already suspected the changes to have something to do with gpro going multilingual, but its nice to know now.

I don't ask for the changes to be reversed. After all, we would have to adapt again. ;-) But I still don't regard the changes an improvement as some of them make it more awkward to actually use the data given in the excel sheet. To my mind units of data given in a table should be defined in the top row or left column and not within the cell giving the actual data.

Anyway, we can close the subject now and maybe just remember it next time something wants to be changed. ;-)
Brian Branch
(Группа Pro - 3)

Страна:
Австралия 
Сертифицирован: 
Старое сообщение #27 Размещено 12 Сен 2010, 23:17:43 Цитата 
Quote ( Richard Knopf @ September 12th 2010,15:18:19 )

If I was going to make a suggestion of this nature, I'd suggest something like the following.

That minor announcements be made in a thread in the News section of the forum, which would include all non-secret changes to gameplay.
I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't want to make their front page any more complicated, so that would be the way I'd do it.
Jeff Pumphrey
(Группа Master - 3)

Страна:
США 
Сертифицирован: 
Старое сообщение #28 Размещено 15 Сен 2010, 17:55:47 Цитата 
Number of unread PMs in inbox now given on front page. Nice addition!
Wopke Hoekstra
(Группа Rookie - 192)

Страна:
Нидерланды 
Сертифицирован: 
Старое сообщение #29 Размещено 15 Сен 2010, 17:57:06 Цитата 
Thank you guys for that :-)

I made use of it already :D
Andrew Watson
(Группа Pro - 5)

Страна:
Англия 
Сертифицирован: 
Старое сообщение #30 Размещено 15 Сен 2010, 18:02:00 Цитата 
Nice. Well done for the suggestion, Wopke.
Страница [12 3 ... 268 269 270 » Перейти на страницу:

Ответить на тему